Dog park blues... - Page 11 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 337Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 04:41 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
That and I'm fairly certain I would be Nyx's next victim if I were to try to exercise her exclusively on a leash or long line...to me, that's scarier than a dog park - she's fast, and I'm too old to outrun her!
While I realize this was probably partially stated in jest, the fallacy of logic needles me. If you’d have to outrun her to be able to exercise on leash then you don’t have the control over her you’ve claimed.

There are thousands of people living in apartments who exercise their dogs plenty without using dog parks. The argument that you have no other options doesn’t hold water. The argument that you’ve decided to go to dog parks and are not interested in pursuing alternatives; that seems more true.
GypsyGhost and tim_s_adams like this.

Kate

Cafall vom Heinolf (GSD)
Efa vom Strafford Hall (GSD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 04:55 PM
Master Member

There are a couple problems with Button Rock. One, the distance from where Tim and I live. It isn't horrible. A half an hour is doable if you don't have much else going on. BUT be prepared for 1+ hours sometimes because of traffic headed into the mountains. And tourists drive so slowly.

Also, you have to walk about 2 miles to get to the actual dog off leash area, which normally isn't the end of the world either. You do have to consider the fact that you really should be out of the mountains in Colorado before 1 o'clock or so, due to the storms. So factor the time it takes to actually walk to the off leash area before you head out for the day.

Plus, Button Rock is one of the very few places that allow dogs in Colorado, off leash or not. Therefore, it is a very popular spot, and boom, just like that you basically have a dog park up in the mountains instead of in the city. The few times I have actually let my dog off leash up there, she has been accosted by other ill-behaved dogs also off leash. I now don't even go there because of how bad it has gotten.

Basically, we don't have any options for letting our dogs off leash in Colorado. The few places that do allow it are completely swamped with dogs. The laws are extremely strict here, and we cannot get away with allowing our dogs off leash in churches, parks, school yards, or ball fields. It just doesn't work.
tim_s_adams likes this.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
post #103 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 05:26 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
This is your dog park? If it is not then I don't see where you get to tell people whose dog or puppy is not threatening or harming another to to keep out of the dog park. You simply don't have that right. It is not your dog's job to teach somebody else's puppy manners. That is simply not your decision to make.

As somebody that has frequented so many dog parks with so many different dogs for so many years, this is very much a sore spot with me. Most people on here come on this forum and bash dog parks based on what somebody else told them or something they read. Few speak from personal experience. This thread is creating a bad image of dog parks when clearly it is not the notion of dog parks that is the problem here but one person's sense of entitlement to foist their method of dog raising and training on the others. I hope people following this thread don't think this is typical of what goes on in other dog parks. It would be sad for them to miss out on what can and should be a fun and enjoyable experience with their dogs because they think this is what they can expect.
Yes and no. The dog parks near me both have fenced separate area for small dogs and pups. If the smaller dogs can't or don't do well in the larger area they are expected to use the smaller area. Posted clearly in the rules. In some instances people are perfectly justified in asking people to go to the proper area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 05:52 PM
Crowned Member

For me to hike with the Punk I am facing at least a two and a half hour drive, but I purposely go to areas that are off the end of the world!
I think it's fabulous that people have access to fenced and managed dog parks, I don't. Around here they seem to be a haven for people with out of control beasts and although the law says you must have control of your dog it just does not happen.
I take full advantage of the weekend-empty industrial areas, and since I am more comfortable at night I can be found walking at 2am or 4am through sleep quiet neighborhoods. I lived for years on the edge of a tiny industrial area and the area police officers loved that I strolled with the dogs all night. We sometimes helped out (Sabi was well known) and often stopped for coffee with them.

If possible could Nyx use the park at night for exercise?
post #105 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 05:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
Yes and no. The dog parks near me both have fenced separate area for small dogs and pups. If the smaller dogs can't or don't do well in the larger area they are expected to use the smaller area. Posted clearly in the rules. In some instances people are perfectly justified in asking people to go to the proper area.
This isn't about size of the dog but whether somebody has the right to force their raising and training ideas on another person and their dog / puppy in a public dog park.
huntergreen likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #106 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 06:03 PM
Master Member

Tim, have you ever been to Twin Lakes? It's basically a dog park that surrounds what I would call a pond, but the dogs can be off leash to swim and play fetch. Dogs mostly ignore each other there because they are all so busy swimming or walking around the lake.

I personally rarely use dog parks even though there aren't many off leash options near me. I prefer to let the dogs run around on a long line at the park. It's safer to me, and my dogs have never minded. My boy preferred running at the park or playing fetch over being around other dogs any day.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
post #107 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post

If possible could Nyx use the park at night for exercise?

If it's like it is here, the dog park is closed when it's dark. And it IS enforced.
Sabis mom likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #108 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 06:50 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
This isn't about size of the dog but whether somebody has the right to force their raising and training ideas on another person and their dog / puppy in a public dog park.
Not enforce their training and raising ideas, but he/she can enforce the rules of the dog park.
post #109 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
This is so incredibly far from the reality of the situation, it's like a whole separate conversation! This is about how dogs interact, not my idea, theirs! And my dog is not the only dog doing this, they all do it! For the past 2 days I have allowed no contact between my dog and this puppy, but this particular owner is constantly fending dogs away from his puppy and going around complaining to people! The funny thing is, at the same time with the same older dogs there are several other puppies that same age running around playing happily without intervention. And yes they do get schooled by the older dogs from time to time.

The AC officer I spoke with on the phone, and the one I spoke with in person yesterday, both instantly recognized it as normal dog behavior. The AC officer who called me told the puppy owner she had 2 options. A: keep her puppy out of the park until it was older, or B: use the little dog area. Not my idea, not me forcing anything on anyone, and for the past 2 days at least, not my dog schooling those puppies. Nyx did pin her good friend Hazel a few times though, for her incessant face licking behavior. Hazel's owner understands normal dog behavior though, so no intervention was required...

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #110 of 211 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytheis View Post
Tim, have you ever been to Twin Lakes? It's basically a dog park that surrounds what I would call a pond, but the dogs can be off leash to swim and play fetch. Dogs mostly ignore each other there because they are all so busy swimming or walking around the lake.

I personally rarely use dog parks even though there aren't many off leash options near me. I prefer to let the dogs run around on a long line at the park. It's safer to me, and my dogs have never minded. My boy preferred running at the park or playing fetch over being around other dogs any day.
We go there sometimes too. Just another dog park, but it's nice when it's hot out.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page