Canine influenza vaccination - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Heartandsoul

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Canine influenza vaccination

How crucial is this? Any concerns? I can get a waiver from my vet to get him in the class without the vaccination. Girff and Deja have hardly any contact with other dogs in close proximity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 01:07 PM
Crowned Member

We have/had a doggie flu epidemic here in North Jersey. Signs on dog parks and vet offices. Turns out, according to my vet , only the dogs who received the vaccine are the ones that got sick. Doesn't make sense to me as in people flu shot, a dead virus is used. He advised to not get the vaccine for my pup. He also advised 0 contact with other dogs. If I am not mistaken, magwart isn't all that far from me, Sussex county NJ so she may have some insight into this also.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 01:20 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
We have/had a doggie flu epidemic here in North Jersey. Signs on dog parks and vet offices. Turns out, according to my vet , only the dogs who received the vaccine are the ones that got sick. Doesn't make sense to me as in people flu shot, a dead virus is used. He advised to not get the vaccine for my pup. He also advised 0 contact with other dogs. If I am not mistaken, magwart isn't all that far from me, Sussex county NJ so she may have some insight into this also.
I thought Magwart was in Louisiana working rescue down there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 01:37 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
I thought Magwart was in Louisiana working rescue down there?

Oops, had to go look, Maggie rose Lee is who I was thinking of. Thanks for pointing that out.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 08:06 PM
Elite Member

If your dogs are in optimum health which I'm quite sure they are and that the class is just once a week with no contact with the other dogs, I would not give it. But that is based on my experience with the intranasal vaccine when I gave it to my guy 6.5 years ago.

Can you ask the instructor if they have ever experienced an outbreak. That may help with your decision.

Fwiw, my guy had the intranasal vaccine as he was enrolled in daycare that he went to 1 day/wk just a couple hrs each week as a 6 month old pup. 2 weeks after, he came down with kennel cough along with another dog. It wasn't bad as he was healthy but our 11 yr old girl caught it about a week later from him. She did get over it but scared the heck out of me.

Mercola has some good info about it and talks about both strains.

Just my two pennies.

As a side note, with all the 1/week classes we have taken, not one required anything other than proof of rabies vax.
wolfy dog likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"

Last edited by Heartandsoul; 10-20-2018 at 08:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page