After 2 months of training - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

After 2 months of training

Hello gsd owners,

Today is the first day of obedience training for my dog marshall, i am concerned about those 2 months do you think a dog can forget his owner? Perhaps become more agressive with him? He really looked so sad today when i left i can't forget that look!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 08:31 AM

Your dog won't forget you. Of course he looked sad. He has no idea why you left him, but I assume you picked a good trainer and your dog will be fine. Make sure you do any homework the trainer gives you so that transition back to home will be more seamless.
Malibu likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 08:35 AM
Elite Member

How old is the dog? What king of training are you doing? If it is just obedience, I don't know why 2 months is required. I know PP training programs are usually 2-3 months.

You dog wont forget you. My issue would be leaving my dog with someone for 2 months. I have left my boy with a trainer for 3 weeks at a time. With a different trainer for another 2 weeks. Both trainers were great for my boy. VERY small operations, kennels were only 5 or 6 slots. One trainer took my boy to his kids games, hiking, etc. I had little or no reservations leaving him. But, 2 months is a long time. I don't know how I feel about that.
Malibu likes this.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad Raad View Post
Hello gsd owners,

Today is the first day of obedience training for my dog marshall, i am concerned about those 2 months do you think a dog can forget his owner? Perhaps become more agressive with him? He really looked so sad today when i left i can't forget that look!!
My heart hurts just reading this. Although 500 years ago when I was 22 I sent my dog back to the breeder for 1 month for obedience training. After that I train my own dog's. thank god...
Orphan Heidi and mitchifican like this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 11:19 AM
Knighted Member

As others have said, your dog won't forget you. But if it were my dog I'd make a few unannounced visits to the BAT facility during that 2 months to see my dog! Not because he'd forget you, but just to see him and to see first hand how they were treating him! 2 months is a long time for simple obedience training...
mitchifican likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 11:21 AM

I couldn't or wouldn't do it. 2 months is a long, long time. Are his problems so severe that the trainer didn't think

he could correct them with one at a time sessions with you involved?

I think most problems are that owners are not properly educated on how to train the dog. dogs are usually the

easier part.

Why not ask the trainer to have sessions with you involved so YOU can learn how to help train the dog. Often times,

when the dog comes back to owner, if owner is not trained, dog reverts back to old habits. Owners need to be

trained also.
mitchifican likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 12:52 PM
Crowned Member

A good trainer gets the basic obedience down easily within two weeks. What is it you have him trained for? Seems way too long; money making? Good marketing?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 01:13 PM
Crowned Member

Nope, I couldn't do it. Have had great success with local trainers who show owners how to train the dog.
wolfy dog likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 03:11 PM
Master Member

Nope, would never leave my dog with any trainer. I don’t trust anyone but me working my dog and the bond we created would have never happened with someone else doing it.
huntergreen likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 05:32 PM
Master Member

To answer your question, no, he won't forget you. I know someone who boarded his dog for training (Idk how long). He said when the dog came back he didn't greet him right away, it took some time, and that person waited for the dog to approach him. After all, even a week is a long time to not see one's dog.

I would never board and train my dog, mostly because training him myself is a splendid way of bonding. From day 1 I brought him home till now, all his training and tricks are all me. The only time I would consider board and train is IF my dog needs extensive behaviour modication and it can't be done from home (for example Cesar Millan sometimes take a client's dog and implement the dog into his pack.) Other than that, NO WAY I would board and train especially if it's only obedience training.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page