Crate Size Confusion - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Crate Size Confusion

Hello guys!

Settling in well with Rex for those who have seen my first post if you would like to:

[URL="https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/general-information/750275-desperate-need-advice.html"]

Had him for 3 weeks, challenging, but what an amazing experience so far!

I was able to source a PetMate travel crate (48 inch). Thought it would be good in case one day he travels and I thought it was big enough. The crating process went well except that I felt it was not really 48 inches. So I measured and inside it is not 48 inch for sure.

So I went and I measure the MidWest 48 inch and it was correct. Significantly bigger than the other. Bought it.

My boy is still 8.5 month and 68 pounds so cant be huge. When he is sitting, his ears go out of the crate and he cant fully stand up, he would be hunched. So how is that correct sizing?; I read that most here have the 48 Inch ones and it seems ok? But reading the guidelines for crate measurement, it seems that the 54 inch will allow for the full space and comfort.

Kicking myself in the butt for not getting the 54 inch!

Thanks for your feedback. I am confused. I hate fo rhim to feel crammed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:04 PM
Master Member

I have a 48"Lx32"H. Stands just fine he is pretty tall imo. I couldn't put a fluffy bed in it. I have a primo pad.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:22 PM
Crowned Member

I have the 48" and it is plenty of room for Griff (male, 10 months at about 70 lbs). I never see him sitting in there. Yes, his ears would stick out the top as he is too curious not to
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 01:38 PM
Master Member

I just received the Frisco XXlarge crate that is 54"x36"x44.75". I haven't put it together yet. The only reason I got it is that my dog is about 26" at the withers and 104 pounds at 9 months of age and is a long dog. It weighs 70#'s, so it is for the house. I still use a smaller crate when I go to train. I don't think I really needed the XX large crate, it was my wife's idea.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 02:24 PM

The bigger the better...

I am sure it depends on room size, budget, vehicle size. Cant go wrong with B I G ..
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 03:36 PM
Crowned Member

I don't actually know how tall my male is, but he just weighed in at 89.5 lean and loaded with muscle. He is very long.

He can fit in the 48" wire crate. But I actually got him the 54" dane crate for when I was still crating him in the house.

In the truck he is in an Impact 700 Stationary which is comfortable for him. It is 35 and 3/4 high and 48 and 1/2 long.
He can stand up in it and turn around comfortably which was important to me because that's the one he sometimes sits in all day at events. I think it is taller than the 48" wire crate. It's a little ridiculously huge but he is comfortable and safe.

If he weren't being crated for long hours and he wasn't spoiled he'd really be fine in the 48" wire crate for the house, but he is either in a kennel or loose in the house anymore. I do have a picture of him somewhere crashed out on his side sleeping in the 54" crate and he did pretty much use it up from end to end
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 09:41 PM
Crowned Member

In the home I like for my dogs to be able to stand, turn around and sprawl out when sleeping on the crate so the bigger the better. For a travel crate I would use a bit smaller to limit movement. Just seems safer to me. Just my opinion,.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 10:51 PM

My dogs are grown and don’t spend much time in crates anymore. I do have a 42” crate in my dining room, a 36” one in my bedroom, and two 36” ones in my mud room. I have 36” crates in the minivan. I tried 42” crates in the minivan, and my dogs freaked out. They like a snugger fit in the van.

All my puppies have gone to work with me until they were at least a year old. The crate at work is Great Dane sized. At home, puppies stay in a 42” crate.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2018, 01:01 AM
Master Member

My dog is 25.5" tall and weighs 85lbs. His crate is 48" and yes, if he sits in it, his ears stick up like a shark's fin lol. But I did buy the 54" off of Chewy unfortunately I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and the 54" is as MASSIVE as a gorilla cage! So I returned it at stayed with the 48" and it's quite alright with him. He usually just sleeps in the crate. But I do wish there was a 50" or 52" before they jump to 48"....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page