Judgmental People on Walks - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Judgmental People on Walks

Hello All,

I experience judgmental people on walks and I am fed up. My GSD puppy is 5 and a half months old and has improved tremendously on basic obedience and leash training since we started working with a trainer. She still gets VERY excited when someone comes to greet her, which we are working on per my trainer. I always get these comments saying "you should try xxxx training method" or "xxxx training apparatus" after my puppy approaches people excitedly. The tone these people take with me are "you are clearly doing something wrong". After about 5000 times of hearing these comments, I am fed up. How you do guys deal with these comments? I really don't like being mean, but I am the point where I want to tell these people to put it where the sun don't shine. My puppy is doing great for a 5 and a half month old puppy, but she's still a puppy. I would like to hear about any experiences you've had. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 10:21 PM
Elite Member

I tell them I forgot my peanut butter spoon at home.

Snitches get stitches.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 10:35 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

I avoid this by not letting strangers pet my dogs and puppies when we’re out walking. I want my dogs to learn that strangers are not something worth paying attention to. They’re just part of the landscape. If people ask to meet my dogs, I generally just say, “sorry, we’re training right now” and move on. If they do not ask and attempt to just pet, I am less nice. We do enough classes and training that my dogs get plenty of exposure to greeting people that way, and my friends from training generally do not offer advice that I would find unwelcome.

Train the dog in front of you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 10:36 PM
Crowned Member

Best thought I have is "Thank you. I'll look into that if she doesn't continue to improve." But for the most part, I've been in situations where I don't need to take my young dog out around people. I do remember one rather opposite situation - a young woman with a child and a puppy entered the vets office as I was paying for my two and preparing to leave. She asked her very active puppy rather plaintively "Why can't YOU be like THOSE dogs?" I came back and spoke with her to say "Give it time. You have a young energetic pup and she will be fine. Those two weren't always well behaved." I hope I was telling the truth about her puppy.
Jax08 and tim_s_adams like this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 10:38 PM
Crowned Member

My response is dependent on whether or not there are witnesses.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 11:06 PM
Elite Member

You could try giving them the 'Leave it" command :-D
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 11:50 PM
Crowned Member

Maybe they have experienced the same thing with their own dog and are just sharing what worked for them. You might be giving off an air of exasperation or frustration at those times which is eliciting the helpful hints.
tim_s_adams and Orphan Heidi like this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 01:16 AM

When I saw the title I thought this was going to be judgmental in how they are judgmental/afraid toward your dog. Most people see my puppy and avoid her at all costs because they are afraid of her, even though she is walking along quietly and calmly at my side, which is a much better situation than what you are facing. I bet those giving you tips think you are overwhelmed and simply want to help you.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 05:44 AM

I guess I was lucky enough to have lived in a place where people weren't always inclined to do that. Quiet roads, neighbors who weren't total busy bodies. In fact more often than not we got the "wish my dog behaved like that". With our big-boy we got lucky with a good combination of great temperament in the pup and a great trainer / mentor.

I've been that judgmental person but I only give advice if asked. Usually. OK, mostly. And I have been guilty of the eye roll. In our neighborhood there is a nice man who walks a sheba-inu. The dog seems well behaved but we always keep distance between our dogs, just-in-case. The other day we were on opposite sides of an intersection (suburban burbs type area) and the dogs were calm and well behaved. Another lady was walking a little something or other, end of leash barking smack and being obnoxious. We watched her walking away, then looked at each other and signaled that we both thought that was ridiculous. Sorry, just keeping it real.
CelticGlory, Jax08 and stevreb07 like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 10:44 AM

meh...it's just some fellow dog lovers giving advice, that's all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page