New puppy-Introducing and training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

New puppy-Introducing and training

I have two dogs 5yr female(kind of dominant/possessive gsd) and 3year male(aussie) both are fixed. I just got another female GSD puppy and forgot how much energy puppies have. So anyway I have two questions if anyone can help.

1. My dogs are okay with the puppy just walking around but she wants to play constantly and then they get irritated. I've been watching her and redirecting her away with a toy or crating, but I'm wondering if they will come to play with her eventually or what I can do to get them to like her better?

2. What should I do if my adult gsd growls at the puppy for taking a toy she likes? I told her no and took it for a while then made her do some tricks before giving it back(trying to communicate its mine not hers), but know sometimes corrections can make things worse so was wondering if there is a better way to handle that situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 11:36 AM

I can only answer from my experience.....My elder GSD'S may get annoyed but they will put the puppy in her place. Puppies are over the top so you need to know your elder dogs disposition and if you are concerned then move the puppy. My dogs have been very well balanced so I never had a concern that my puppy was in danger.

Growling can be early warning to pup which can be what the puppy needs to learn boundaries .

I feel you need to keep a very close eye on your puppy because you may not even no of a concern until it shows itself.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 12:05 PM

I'd supervise all interactions, period. I do think they will eventually play with the puppy, it just will take time for them to warm up to the idea.

I just got a puppy this weekend - distant relative of my shepherd. Katsu, my female shepherd, started off not really giving the puppy much attention. He'd lick her face and she would just allow it before moving away. Now she play bows and jaw spars, tugs, chase/be chased with him gently. I'm happy with her interactions.

My shiba is a bit harder to read. He's 3.5 years old but acts about 10. He will go between jaw sparing/playing with the puppy one moment to being snarky the next. I do my best to limit the puppy's interactions with him just in case.

For taking things, I usually correct the puppy (nuh-uh), give the object back to the older dog and redirect the puppy to something else (yes). The only dog really possessive in my household is the shiba and he tends to be less so the longer a new dog is in the house (I've watched dogs for over a week in my home with him).

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
I can only answer from my experience.....My elder GSD'S may get annoyed but they will put the puppy in her place. Puppies are over the top so you need to know your elder dogs disposition and if you are concerned then move the puppy. My dogs have been very well balanced so I never had a concern that my puppy was in danger.

Growling can be early warning to pup which can be what the puppy needs to learn boundaries .

I feel you need to keep a very close eye on your puppy because you may not even no of a concern until it shows itself.
I'm not concerned about my dog's hurting the puppy. They've been around other puppies before. I'm more concerned about making sure they grow up to like each other so I don't end up with fights when they are adults
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Sorry I think I worded that wrong. If puppy takes a toy from my dog I correct the puppy, but sometimes the toy's just laying near the dog and she's not actually playing with it and the puppy just comes up and picks it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsugsd View Post

For taking things, I usually correct the puppy (nuh-uh), give the object back to the older dog and redirect the puppy to something else (yes). The only dog really possessive in my household is the shiba and he tends to be less so the longer a new dog is in the house (I've watched dogs for over a week in my home with him).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page