Fatal Dog Attacks in U.S. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Fatal Dog Attacks in U.S.

I found this sad wikipedia page yesterday https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_..._United_States
Incideints are listed with date, age of victim, breed or breed type and circumstances.

It is suprising to me how many fatal attacks were by German Shepherds.
Most of the victims of dogs are children, babies and old people.
(Please remember that the discussion of bully breeds is not allowed).

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 01:40 PM
Knighted Member

The GSD stats don't surprise me at all. They have been popular a VERY long time, have attracted the breeding interest of unscrupulous and ignorant both and often appeal to people who have no business owning any dog, never mind one that is mentally wired wrong because of generations of poor breeding practices. That, and any tan dog with a black saddle tends to become a GSD mix.
Shane'sDad and Sabis mom like this.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 01:48 PM
Elite Member

One thing I'd like to say about this. I own a book called "Childproofing Your Dog", by Brian Killcommon. His #1 rule is NEVER leave your children alone with a dog!

In this age of treating dogs as 'furbabies' we have abandoned all common sense, and have forgotten that dog are carnivores. Even the small ones can do a lot of damage with their teeth, if provoked.

And you never know just what kids are likely to do to an animal.

Case in point: family's dog bit a young child. Parents are upset, and haul the dog off to the vet for euthanasia. The vet decides to examine the dog, before giving it that final needle.

She finds 2 crayons inside the dog's ears.

Another incident: I am sitting in a dog training class, waiting to talk with the instructor. The next class is coming in with their dogs. This class consists of dogs people have been having problems with.

I have a 3 year old, 84 lb. German shepherd rescue, recently acquired. He's been kept on a chain most of his life, and has had zero exposure to kids. This has been our first obedience class together.

I hear the pittter-patter of footsteps behind me. Before I can do anything, a small child of about 3, comes and throws his arms around my dog's neck. Fortunately, my dog is okay with this!

Before I can react, his slightly older brother comes and does the SAME thing! Then a 3rd, still older boy, comes and pats my dog on the head.

I am totally shocked by the kid's lack of caution with a big, strange dog, but before I can talk to the kids' parents, the instructor comes over, and I never got the chance. I don't think I got the chance to mention it to the instructor, either (it was a long time ago, so I've forgotten.)

No wonder kids get bitten. My parents always taught me to be careful around strange dogs, but in this day and age, kids seem to think they're fluffy stuffed toys!!
angelas, tc68, Mudypoz and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Sunsilver; 10-07-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 03:52 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
One thing I'd like to say about this. I own a book called "Childproofing Your Dog", by Brian Killcommon. His #1 rule is NEVER leave your children alone with a dog!

In this age of treating dogs as 'furbabies' we have abandoned all common sense, and have forgotten that dog are carnivores. Even the small ones can do a lot of damage with their teeth, if provoked.

And you never know just what kids are likely to do to an animal.

Case in point: family's dog bit a young child. Parents are upset, and haul the dog off to the vet for euthanasia. The vet decides to examine the dog, before giving it that final needle.

She finds 2 crayons inside the dog's ears.

Another incident: I am sitting in a dog training class, waiting to talk with the instructor. The next class is coming in with their dogs. This class consists of dogs people have been having problems with.

I have a 3 year old, 84 lb. German shepherd rescue, recently acquired. He's been kept on a chain most of his life, and has had zero exposure to kids. This has been our first obedience class together.

I hear the pittter-patter of footsteps behind me. Before I can do anything, a small child of about 3, comes and throws his arms around my dog's neck. Fortunately, my dog is okay with this!

Before I can react, his slightly older brother comes and does the SAME thing! Then a 3rd, still older boy, comes and pats my dog on the head.

I am totally shocked by the kid's lack of caution with a big, strange dog, but before I can talk to the kids' parents, the instructor comes over, and I never got the chance. I don't think I got the chance to mention it to the instructor, either (it was a long time ago, so I've forgotten.)

No wonder kids get bitten. My parents always taught me to be careful around strange dogs, but in this day and age, kids seem to think they're fluffy stuffed toys!!

I have been in the same position to many times to count. I had a 3-4 year old girl throw her arms around my Danes neck on a sidewalk one day. I had a stern chat with her mother! Fortunately Freeway and later Sabi were both amazing with children, and I am eternally grateful for that given the total lack of parenting skills I see. BUT, the 20 something drunk guy seemed to think it would be ok to hug the dog wearing the security harness doing crowd control so I suspect that children are not the only victims of loss of common sense and lack of impulse control. PSA: Alcohol should not be consumed by persons suffering from chronic stupidity.

Fatal dog attacks seem to be on the rise, but if someone were to do the math I suspect that the ratios are still about the same. I think that it also bears mentioning that for the sheer number of dogs in North America, the percentages are low.
angelas and Mudypoz like this.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 08:20 PM
Master Member

Since I was recently attacked by a dog, I did do some research on dog attacks. Based on my research... A lot of people are in denial about their dogs. By 'in denial' I mean they contend that their dog(s) is the sweetest dogs, have been around children, never showed aggressive behaviour UNTIL. I detest the fact that a lot of people say when their dog attacked another being, they say that 'it's out of character.'

I'm a GSD owner and I do understand AND expect certain level of aggressiveness from this breed, because that's how they're bred. It's my job as a GSD owner to make sure I know his limits and what ticks him off. And I would never say 'Oh he will never do that, he will not hurt a fly' because that's unreasonable. Like one of you said, dogs are animals.

And based on what some of you have written on this thread, yeah, GSD attacks are mostly provoked.

There's a big difference between provoked attacks and unprovoked. I was a victim of the latter and it makes me angry that the owner didn't own to the fact that their dog is an aggressive dog that attacked another being.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I have actually read all the breed (or type), age of victim, and event circumstances of fatal dog attacks up to 2004. When I have caught up the next 14 years to the present I will work out the ratios between human population increase and fatal dog attacks and get back to you on this.
DorianGrayFFM and Sabis mom like this.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.

Last edited by Nurse Bishop; 10-07-2018 at 10:45 PM.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 12:19 AM
Elite Member

When you look at the other dogs the ages of the people killed ranges greatly... German Shepherds seem to have mostly killed babies
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 02:38 AM
Elite Member

I've seen several articles (with photos) and videos lately that talk about how people don't know how to read dog body language, and that's responsible for many attacks.

One thing they really targeted are those cutesy videos of kids hugging dogs, and the dog's body language is screaming "LEAVE ME ALONE!" Of course, the parents a ooohing and ahhing in the background and don't get the message until it's too late.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 02:40 AM
Elite Member

This video is one of the best: Stop The 77
car2ner, Mudypoz and amit1cs like this.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 09:29 AM
Crowned Member

I heard of bite cases in the home by mismanagement in the home or unstable dogs but very surprised by this report on deaths and on children or elders and which many take place in the early mid 1900 but yes cases spread out over years with their family dog. I expect the gsd to handle a tolerate a hug from a small family member as they should be courageous with a clear head and as foremost they are a family dog. If the dog can not handle unsupervised or supervised Actions of a child family memeber- I would think a growl then a warning bite but not a full out mauling. Sure parents have to watch their kids but they should not have to worry about their dog killing their own child if they turn their back for a second. Many of these case though seemed unprovoked. Sounds more like dogs head is wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 10-08-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page