Seems to prefer being outside - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Seems to prefer being outside

Griff, 9 months old. You may already know he is quite the project, being strong willed, yet doing very well (petting myself on the back ). Lately he has become more destructive inside. More so than when he was younger when I could easily leave the two alone out of the crates for about an hour. I like to think that he gets enough training, play and exercise. We have an outdoor kennel and he seems to love it there, more so than inside with Deja. The two do get along well. Good reversed play and seemingly enjoy each others company.
I have observed that in the house: he is restless (not lying down unless on a down-stay, chewing on himself, picking up stuff), being annoying to Deja. Typical behavior of a bored dog. In the outdoor kennel, that I can see from inside the house, he observes the surroundings, never barks, is relaxed and doesn't chew himself. He lies down, gets up, rummages around a bit and lies down again. The indoor floors are oak and with a woolen rug. The outdoor kennel has rubber stall mats. He doesn't chew himself while crated inside.
He can easily spend hours outside in his kennel without an issue and when I get him he sits nicely waiting to be let out. Is always happy to see us (Deja and me). My plan was always to have the two living with me inside but he is showing me more and more to be an outside dog most part of the day. If deer are racing through the yard he doesn't even give a yip.
Should I give in to this and keep him mainly outside during his non-work/play hours or work on his inside-the-house-behavior? He has shown to have a good off button, but only outside in his kennel. He will be inside at night though.
I find him an incredible interesting dog like no other I have had, fostered or worked with.
What do you all think about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 05:52 PM

Very interesting! I've always been a primarily indoor-dog person. I think it was drilled into me fostering and being in rescue-it was only special circumstances we adopted to outdoor/indoor dog situations. Your set-up sounds good, especially if he's in at night. I did have a foster who had been feral and literally could not be contained within walls without self-harming, but that's obviously not your case

Honestly, I think it's your personal preference. If you really want him to be an indoor dog, tackle working with him indoors. He sounds like he gets a lot of stimulation and physical and mental outlets, but it's hard to beat the constant stimulation of being outside. However, you can just have a "sorry your life is rough (wink, obviously not), but you gotta learn to be okay in here" attitude." I am guessing he's going to have to be ok being inside some of the time, like if you plan on visiting friends or family. If he seems truly content and you don't mind him being out there most of the time, than let him chill as he will

It also sounds like it could be a phase. As he's getting older he's getting to be more of a handful and needing more stimulation and/or learning how to have a more solid "off" switch and learning to be calm.

I don't think him spending time outside is going to make him a terror inside either way, but I definitely would still work with him inside. Does he have a window he can look out of? Keep us posted on how it goes, I never tire of canine behavior!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 06:38 PM

My girl Misty seems to be very uncomfortable indoors for periods of time in every season.Sometimes just a few days,sometimes a week or so.I let her stay out as long as she likes.Heat,humidity or lack thereof,I don't know.Sometimes she's only in for meals and overnight of course.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 06:52 PM
Knighted Member

Nyx also has preferred to remain outside at times since she was about 5 months old. She's normally with me wherever I go, unless I tell her to wait where she is. That being said, sometimes when I am outside with her and get up to go inside she will remain where she is and give me a certain look, like she's asking to stay. I usually let her decide, as either way is fine with me. We simply exchange a look, and I go on about my business. But she's always in all night, every night. I don't think letting Griff stay outside will cause any problems for either of you when remaining outside is not an option. And I personally like it that my dog can tell me her preference, so I honor her choice whenever it's possible.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 08:52 PM
Crowned Member

Mine do seem to occasionally like to zen out in the yard for short periods, subbathing or staring off into the forest.

But it is relatively short lived, they really prefer to be with me and a face will pop up at the glass door or I see them on the front stoop which means they want in.

None of my dogs have a hard time settling in the house which I appreciate alot.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 09:47 PM
Crowned Member

It is seldom mentioned, but dogs and all living creatures need autonomous time for mental health. IMO, he is telling you something, listen to him. Let him have his time alone to control his own wants and needs, mentally and physically.
wolfy dog likes this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand youíre hanging on to your dogís body because youíve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 09:59 PM
Crowned Member

My breeder said to give our dog alone time every day. He loves being outside by himself, but it’s not something I do rigidly. If he wants to be out and doesn't come in when I do, he can stay outside. Eventually he gets bored and stands at the door to come back in. I don’t understand why it needs to be an either/ or decision. There are people here who would love it if their dog stayed outside in a run quietly part of the time. Embrace it.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 11:39 PM
Master Member

Both my GSDs (the current and the previous)...when they're inside, they want to go outside. When they're outside, they want back in. Basically they want to be where I am.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 12:54 AM

Miika prefers to be with me whether I am inside or out.

Kiisa is only sorta that way some of the time. Mostly she prefers to be outside and likes to stay in one of the dogloos (I think that is the right name).

It might go back, for her, to her first six months of life where she was always outside. After she decided to move in with us, she got to learn a bit about being an inside puppy, but still likes to spend most of her time outside.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Miika and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kiisa's Mom

BlueBelle and Beau (sister cats) and 3 Arabians
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 01:14 AM

Seems to prefer being outside

I have a dog door. My dogs are like little children that are in and out, in and out, in and out... Iím happy I donít have to let them in and out, lol. Sometimes they choose to be inside with me, other times I peek out the window and see one sprawled on the deck or in the yard. Sometimes they just need to go out and be a dog.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page