XDog Vest - Ready To Get Fit(er) Together - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Katsugsd
  • 2 Post By CometDog

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

XDog Vest - Ready To Get Fit(er) Together

So, Valor had his SV xrays done, all looks good (not sent in yet, in the process of converting to actual Xray), growth plates closed, got the OK for introducing running and jumping and such. I started running with him 2 or 3 weeks ago which is great for both of us. I am really good about lifting weights daily but definitely need more motivation in the cardio department. Enter the Dog. Always helps lol

Running:
My pace is just not a workout for him.

When we do hills in my neighborhood, it is really just me "doing" the hill. My pace is slow enough where he has time to smell the flowers. Literally, he can stop and smell the flowers. Even on straight aways my best running pace is not a jot for him.

Hiking:
We do hikes "maybe" 2 times a month, up a mountain on the Appalacian trail. That is the ONLY time I see evidence that he has broken anything close to the dog equivalent of a sweat, but again it is not much. He still has 3/4 of a tank when we get home. Easily.

IPO:
We do IPO, but you know how club is..you get your two 15 minute turns at bite work, obedience. And Club attendance for me is sporadic at best due to my schedule.

Biking:
The only place to safely bike with him is 1/2 hour away and gets crowded after work hours. It is this great 11.5 mile loop around a bunch of ponds and lakes. But it gets too crowded for a dog and bike and control. There is a place to bike at where our IPO club is, but it's a 1.5 hour ride and we are there to train technique. Don't have time to do both while there.

Fetch Maybe?:
I can play two ball with him on my dead end when it is not too busy.. BUT now we have 2 new rescues on the block that are DA. While he barely looks at them and has great recall, the 2 rescues are strong bully/lab mixes and can pull their owners. If something goes down I don't want to be the one with an off lead dog, as that will play into fault regardless of whose fault it is. At the park, must be leashed so again it is me running and him barely trotting. Can't fetch at the local park for that reason-leash law (and it seems we are one of the few who adhere to it)

So, those are our accomplishments and limitations, and the balance is towards ...limitations.

And we are going for our AD in November.

ENTER THE X DOG VEST. I bought the vest, drag bag, and got ball bearing weights because I hate sand in the house and I know it will spill lol

It can take weights and is designed for pulling (without weights on vest) as well. I got a belt and drag bag for myself too. So, he can wear the weights in vest on our jogs in town.

At the park or on my dead end we can both use drag bags side by side for some pulling/resistance sprints. Ok maybe I can sometimes use the drag bag while he is using his. I'm a lot older than he is lol

I have also dusted off my Ceasar Milan inspired (I watched him when it first came out) LandRollers and he can pull me around the park that has the great 11 mile smooth dirt/asphalt road loop. On the bike it would be too much if crowded, but I can pull him closer and be more compact/in control on the rollerblades.

Anyone use this for their dog? Suppose to start with 3 to 5% of his body weight and eventually work up to a max of 10% of his body weight. Which would be 9lbs of weight.

It looks cool..let's see how he does with it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	43012732_10216297951374959_6452417192272068608_o.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	512549  

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 01:14 PM

I've considered getting one for Katsu when she's older. I haven't personally used one, but I see lots of GSDs on Instagram that do. A pair of LandRollers would be fun though! We might try that when she's older.
CometDog likes this.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

The LandRollers are actually discontinued. I have seen them on Ebay and such but usually in men's sizes 10 and up. They can go over anything except for rocky trails..great on gravel, flat dirt, grass. And they have a really really good brake, which roller blades and speed rollerblades do not. They have ones that are Xcountry that can strap to your existing shoe. If I didn't still have my LandRollers I'd probably go with that. And a helmet, and wristguards, and knee pads lol
huntergreen and Katsugsd like this.

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page