In desperate need of advice - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

In desperate need of advice

Hello

My name is Mozi and this is my first post. I am from Beirut, Lebanon, lived most of my life in the US and now live in Dubai.

I will try to make the post brief. Please ask me anything that you think you might need to know to help with any advice on the situation.

I live alone and I would like to have a GSD as my companion. I have the ability to take the dog to work on a daily basis. I am living in an apartment but will move to a place with a yard and a dog park close by. I am active and willing to commit the time to exercise physically and mentally with training for my dog. So I think I am ready to own up to the responsibility

I have been going crazy on researching where do I get the dog from, puppy versus adult, Europe import, US, local breeder etc etc etc....The breeders here are not advertised and they are little.

I just so happen to look at classified and I saw an ad put today for a male long hair 9 months old puppy. Called and I talked to a very nice man and decided to just go.

The man lives in a villa with his family. Young man who is a horse jockey. He has an older dog who is 13 years old and he has Rex. He got Rex when he was a 2 months from apparently a father and mother who mated here and were imported from the Ukraine. The man is a jockey and also is in the intel police here and people dont screw with such profiles here. In desperate need of advice-photo-2018-10-02-22-51-47.jpg

In desperate need of advice-photo-2018-10-02-22-51-46.jpg

In desperate need of advice-photo-2018-10-02-22-51-45.jpg

In desperate need of advice-photo-2018-10-02-22-51-43.jpg

In desperate need of advice-photo-2018-10-02-22-51-44.jpg

The man is travelling lots to compete with horses and is not spending as much time as he thinks he should with Rex. Also, his family is not accommodating.

We came over. He lives in a Villa. Within it, Rex and the other older dog were fenced in a large garden. He let Rex out. Super friendly demeanor, came directly, played ball, curious, high energy, excited, there were cars around and trucks and noises. The dog seemed fearless. He is big and beautiful. I loved the interaction. I want Rex

My worries:

1. He is microshipped and registered here at the municipality with all health checks and vaccines. It was clear to me that the dog is very well taken care of. The owner had the food, the vitamins, taking him to grooming and bathing with professional groomers and videos and all. Bottom line, it is clear that this ia a happy dog who lived a healthy life.
There is no pedigree and I have no idea about the health of the parents or anything about them. The man did not do xrays for hips etc but the dog was jumping around and moving very well. Looks super healthy, but I am not expert. How can I tell if his bone structure is good etc? He gave me the number of his vet at the vet hospital and told me it is open book. Do as much checks as you want. Would the vet know? How can I tell?

2. He only has trained the dog. He could sit and recall and he told him to go to like a crate room. The dog happily obliged. But there is no training beyond that. The dog was jumping on me and all. I guess normal for a puppy. However he is big and I think he needs to enroll in classes right off the bat. Can I just get the dog and enrol at this age? He also learned his few commands in Arabic and he was listening to the owner well. I also gave him a few commands and he listened. We need to move to English. Is it a good idea to start training right away.

3. Can you guys tell anything from the pics and videos attached about looks and demeanor. Am I just too excited or isnt he a real beauty? Can you tell if he has a good demeanor and generally healthy movement and look?

The man was getting a call every minute while I was there for the dog. I dont want to miss the opportunity. But I would like a plan. How can I check if he is all healthy? Can a vet determine without Xray about bones and health? Should I start training right away with a professional? I have no experience in training.

Sorry for the long post. Please tell me if you can tell anything from the videos and pics.

Many many thanks - frantically excited!

Mozi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 10:19 PM
Crowned Member

This isn't the best advice, but if I liked the dog, I would take the Gamble and go for it, unless the price was outrageous. Make sure there are trainers in your area and check out some vets. How was he on a leash ?
Sabis mom and Orphan Heidi like this.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 10:33 PM
Elite Member

If you are ready, go for it. He is beautiful and looks like a sweet dog.
Sabis mom and Orphan Heidi like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 10:50 PM
Crowned Member

Without doing xrays there is no way of telling about structural issues unless they are bad enough to be visible. Other health concerns would require genetic testing which you have no time for. So basically you are adopting an unknown and the price needs to reflect that.

He is a lovely dog, with a curious and open expression. He looks like a fun boy. Training can always be done, no worries there, age does not matter except that you may need to use a bit more pressure then with a pup.
Orphan Heidi likes this.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:16 PM
Knighted Member

My advice, get the dog! Puppies are always a gamble. With a 9month old dog, you're getting a much better idea of what you'll end up with. He's alert, playful, and seems of good temperament; he moves well, has great bone structure, and seems fairly bidable with his limited training. He could have some genetic health issues, but so can any puppy you choose to get...there are no guarantees! You like him, he's healthy, go for it! It's always a gamble...
wolfy dog and Orphan Heidi like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim

Last edited by tim_s_adams; 10-02-2018 at 11:18 PM.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 11:34 PM
Elite Member

He's gorgeous! I'd go for it, if I were you!

My first GSD was a 5 year old rescue who had been a farm dog, and wasn't even leash trained. After 6 weeks of obedience classes, I took her in a fun match, and she scored 175/200 points in the novice obedience class!

These dogs are really smart, and can learn at any age.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 12:21 AM
Master Member

Hard to say no to that face. But I would at the least talk to his vet first. If the vet is willing, ask to see all the dog's medical records. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be...he will be yours. If it's not meant to be, there are plenty of German Shepherds out there in the world. There's no rush. You can always take your time to find the right dog. I'm not saying don't get him. All I'm saying is do your "homework" first. See if you can go visit the dog again and spend some time with it. That way you can observe him. Ask the owner more questions, like does the dog like to lie around a lot or does he have a high drive/energy? Is he scared of loud sounds? Etc. The more you find out about the dog, the more you know if it's the right one for you. Don't go by looks alone. Maybe the dog's personality isn't what you're looking for. The good thing is at 9 months old you missed the "landsharking" stage.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 01:12 AM
Crowned Member

You seem to have a good sense of what to look for. If you like what you see, do it. That's how I do it. The ones I have chosen with my heart worked out better than the ones I got after extensive research and deliberation. He seems like a good soul. It probably is impossible to take your time when so many people are calling.
Let us know soon!
Sabis mom and tim_s_adams like this.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 10-03-2018 at 01:25 AM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 08:43 AM
Elite Member

He is beautiful, seems like a lovely dog. Have you asked or seen how he behaves in public and around unknown dogs?—if that is important to you? He looks like a good find!

Last edited by sebrench; 10-03-2018 at 08:52 AM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 09:51 AM

Great find! Gorgeous Dog and he seems to have a nice happy expression. I'd Grab him fast. Just be prepared to spend

lots of time training and mannering him. But Shepherds are super smart and learn very quickly. they are a joy to train.

Keep us posted and Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page