German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Different view on dog parks

2K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  GypsyGhost 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
so i know I most likely will get crucified for this but over the last couple of months or so I have taken Rollo to the dog park 5 minutes from my house often! I sorta now agress with Tim, in the idea that stuff can happen but its not too likely, and Rollo has had nothing but good experiences there. Now this dog park is different than most of the other dog parks I've been too in that people are awesome and every one is super on top of watching their dogs, and I've even met 5-10 GSD owners who compete in various dog sports now! The dog park also has an agility course and Rollo loves doing that.
I should also add tho, that I did not start going frequently until I felt Rollo was trained well enough to "leave it" and come back to me whenever I called him (even with all the dogs around) so that has definitely played a part...
LAST THING: I do still get why some people are hesistant still, the ONE AND ONLY problem I've had was a couple of weeks ago Rollo was playing with around 5 other dogs in the park, and a lady walked in with a bully breed (have nothing against them) and he started going at Rollo agressively, the lady looks at me and goes "sorry he does not like GSDs" and so then I responded "well you can't bring your dog in here if its not friendly with everyone"...she ignored me and moved her dog to the other side of that park...Well as you would guess, it lunged at Rollo one more time and i'm a large guy (6'8 250lbs lol) so I sprinted at the dog and screamed as loud as I could "NOOOOO! Get the heck away from my dog!"...that seemed to do the trick as the pit put its tail between its legs and wimped away. Another owner at the park that day told me that that same dog has attacked a dog at another park, so before leaving I told the lady "that if I ever saw her dog again at the park I would call the police") as that certain breed of dog is banned in Leawood/Overland Park.
other than that tho lol all good!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Just an FYI it’s not the dog but the owner. You can have those issues with any breed. I would never go to one but happy u and Rollo enjoy it but too many bad things can happen at dog parks then good. Hope it continues to be a positive experience.

#7 ·
Chuck, my dog park experiences parallel yours. People stay on top of their dogs and I have even met people who participate in IPO bringing their dogs.

We only differ on the number of attacks, I've had more, all else the same, but I have been going to dog parks a lot longer and with dogs.

#8 ·
Breeds are created to exhibit behaviors. Herding, pit fighting, sprinting, retrieving, etc. This is why they are separated.
It is irresponsible to bring a dog that is dog aggressive. Especially one that is genetically predisposed to dog aggression.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Breed specific is not the case. You can have a golden attack another dog and yes they can be nasty yet they are bred to retrieve.My sister had one that was that way. Every dog can attack another dog so please stop directing it all to the bully breeds. You always hear about those types being dog aggressive. I owned one, was a therapy, show dog. It’s how they are raised and socialized. I get tired of hearing how bad they are. They are great dogs in the right hands just like any other dog.
It’s all about being smart when u visit dog parks, have to be on guard, one bad experience can ruin your dog.

#11 ·
We have a dog park that is almost always empty. When it first opened I took my dogs there a few times each. Just to get on the Agility equipment . Even though there were never any dogs there there was always dog waste laying around. That was enough for me to say no more. Now we just track off from it a little ways. On the days where there are dogs in there it is a good distraction for Athena.

#16 ·
Please let’s honor the moderators for allowing the OP to mention that breed by not fighting or arguing. There is no need and no good solution. MAWL is 100% correct and I have family members with experience to prove it. Out of respect for not posting anything gruesome or graphic, I will not say more but if anyone wants details, PM me.

I have dog park and day care experience. Many day cares limit breeds. Yes, Goldens can be aggressive. They can get rage syndrome. My previous daycare kicked out 8 in the same year for being overly aggressive with people and dogs. But that is still not the norm and not their purpose. It’s probably more a function of not buying from a decent breeder.

I no longer use dog parks because my dogs aren’t suited for it. I stopped using daycare too. They are much more people oriented than dog oriented and I prefer my dogs not socialize off leash with strangers. If they are off leash, it is in an area which is not heavily used at the time I am there. I think dogs parks are fine if your dog likes it and that people must follow the rules or the park will eventually be shut down.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
I mean... I bring Jax to the park, but his training is pretty darn good and he's very aloof, he just walks around. Most dogs are too afraid to approach him. I don't bring Leeroy, he herds and is half pit, people have their own feelings and stigmas about the breed, so it's not even worth the hassle. I have seen many poorly trained pits at the dog park, regardless of temperament. People in general don't train their dogs. Jax personally only seems to show any aggression if he feels threatened, and he only shows signs of feeling threatened if the other dog is larger, which is very rare given his size. I just let him walk around, and sniff things, we do some agility and leave. He doesn't interact much with the other dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.