• 1 Post By car2ner
  • 1 Post By Malibu
  • 2 Post By huntergreen
  • 1 Post By JBjunior

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Is it ok to leave puppy for 6 weeks?

Hi,
We are looking at getting a german shepherd as I just had our last dog put down due to poor health. I have a large property and would like to get another dog asap.

The problem I have is, I have an overseas trip booked for 6 weeks, in june 2019.

My parents were going to look after my dog while we were away, but now hes gone. Will a 10 month old puppy be ok being left with them for 6 weeks? Or will it be stressed by this?
My parents have 3 other dogs that he / she would know well by the time I left it with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 02:30 AM
Crowned Member

I would wait until July 2019. Lots of things can happen in 6 weeks without your supervision.
crittersitter and car2ner like this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 03:22 AM
Master Member

I left my pup when he was about 4 months for 5-6 weeks. There was no other way around the trip it was a family emergency. Luckily, my best friend was able to live in my apartment during that time and took care of my pup.

The only thing I noticed when I came back was other than he was HUGE compared to when I left him, was that he started lunging at people when we walk. My best friend told me it had started a couple weeks prior to me coming back. He was excellent with my dog but when he moved out, and my dog had developed this trait, I had to deal with it myself.

I saw no change in his behaviour other than that. He's always been very watchful of me, protective and a velcro dog. He always believed I'd come back for him, so that really eased out his separation anxiety.

I think the thing that really helped was the fact that my best friend had been introduced multiple times with my dog beforehand, and the fact that my best friend moved into MY apartment. So there was no environment smell. The apartment was still his den, the smells were all familiar, and the apartment undoubtedly smelt like me. I believe that really helped him adjust to me leaving.

So if you can have the caretaker (ie. My best friend) to live in your house, I strongly believe that would help.

To me personally from my side, it wasn't easy leaving him. I kept thinking of him and I felt almost incomplete because now me and my dog have become a package, if you know what I mean. Make sure when you leave your dog, you'd always have access of knowing how he is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 05:34 AM

Ask the folks who have the pup now if the pup can stay on with them until you return. If not than I suggest a meet and greet with your parents and their dogs to see how everyone gets along. 10 months can be a crazy time for a GSD. They are just starting their stubborn "teenage" stage.
crittersitter likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:32 AM

I think a good question is..... Do you really want to miss 6 weeks of puppyness. I am sure the dog might be fine if left in the rights hand but 6 weeks is a long time.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 01:16 PM
Crowned Member

Agree with above, wait to get a pup.
crittersitter and Sabis mom like this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 07:02 PM

My puppy is just like my human children, I want to know what they are exposed to, know how they are treated, understand how they are adapting to new things, and ensure they have a helping hand for the challenges they face. No one will ever care for them as much as I do. I care too much about how she will "end up" that I control all of the above things to the best of my ability, I am the one who will have to deal with the aftermath. 6 weeks is a long time to build habits and not monitor progress for a puppy.....
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 01:41 PM

I couldn't leave any of my babies that long. 7 month GSD 2 1/2 yo GSD 14 yo GSD/Husky mix, 2 cats, 2 horses & 3 chickens. Did I mention we NEVER go anywhere. LOL! Good luck with your decision. :-)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcraig23 View Post
Hi,
We are looking at getting a german shepherd as I just had our last dog put down due to poor health. I have a large property and would like to get another dog asap.

The problem I have is, I have an overseas trip booked for 6 weeks, in june 2019.

My parents were going to look after my dog while we were away, but now hes gone. Will a 10 month old puppy be ok being left with them for 6 weeks? Or will it be stressed by this?
My parents have 3 other dogs that he / she would know well by the time I left it with them.
I would wait. Sure, the puppy should be fine. But 10 months is the age at which they start understanding their role in the "pack", start pushing boundaries, and start needing those boundaries made exceptionally clear. If you're not there, he won't learn these things from you and may end up with bad habits.

Aside from that, I'd wait just because you'll spend too much time thinking about your puppy and not enough time thinking about what you're doing on your trip.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 03:36 AM

Hi,
We are looking at getting a german shepherd also. Would like to hear any recommendations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page