Dog Walker Stress!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Dog Walker Stress!!!

I'm one of the masses that must work for a living and need to leave my dog alone during the days that I'm in the office. My girl is not quite six months yet so I have a dog walker that I really like come in to walk her. My dog seems to love her. However, this took some trial and error with other walkers to find this one. My dog hasn't seemed to be adversely affected, but it stressed me out to no end having strangers handling my dog, and not following my instructions (long story).

Which leads me to my current angst... substitute dog walkers! When my regular can't come in, a substitute is sent by the service. Usually I will plan to be home to meet and greet the new walker with my dog the first time. However, I just got a text saying my walker had to take her own dog to the vet and a replacement will come at the last minute. Mainly I am concerned with how my dog will react to a stranger coming in, leashing her up and taking her out.

On one hand I'm worried she'll be afraid or stressed, but I also don't like the idea of her getting used to random people just coming in and having their way with her. I'm feeling rather tortured here, as I don't have any other options for dog walking (no family/friends available). What is other people's experience with this?

Last edited by Felafufu; 09-20-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 10:54 AM

A sub with no meet and greet? dang. I am surprised that the walking service's insurance would allow that. A stranger could get bit. Let us know how this plays out.
GandalfTheShepherd likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 10:58 AM
Crowned Member

In a case like this, could you just skip the dog walker for one day?
Sabis mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
A sub with no meet and greet? dang. I am surprised that the walking service's insurance would allow that. A stranger could get bit. Let us know how this plays out.
Yeah, I'm not(!) happy about that but unavoidable since I was already at work an hour away and the regular walker had to get her dog to the vet. A bite scenario may be more of an issue as she gets older and more territorial. But to be on the safe side since my puppy is crated, I gave instructions today that if she acted fearful, stressed or aggressive to leave her in the crate and let me know so I could leave work early.

Fortunately... I just watched on the puppy cam... she barked once or twice then started wagging her tail and got all excited to go for a walk. So, while I'm happy for that reaction, I'll likely ask them to forego the walk next time and just bail out of work early if I can. Don't really want her getting used to strangers coming in.
Sabis mom and car2ner like this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
In a case like this, could you just skip the dog walker for one day?
Yes, that's going to be my plan going forward!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 12:53 PM
Master Member

As someone who was a dog walker... I would be so uncomfortable going into someone's house without meeting everyone first! I would be hesitant with how the dog would react, I wouldn't know how to do things or what rules/routines the owner has, and I would be worried that if someone broke in after I left, I would get the blame. So many reasons this isn't a good idea! Also, how do they get in? Do you hide a key or something?

Hopefully things work out for you and you have a backup plan for next time.
Felafufu likes this.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytheis View Post
As someone who was a dog walker... I would be so uncomfortable going into someone's house without meeting everyone first! I would be hesitant with how the dog would react, I wouldn't know how to do things or what rules/routines the owner has, and I would be worried that if someone broke in after I left, I would get the blame. So many reasons this isn't a good idea! Also, how do they get in? Do you hide a key or something?

Hopefully things work out for you and you have a backup plan for next time.
I would not be happy to be in your position. Can't you find a retired neighbor or find someone near your house that can help you out.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 02:08 PM
Knighted Member

Tough situation, I'm glad it sounds like it worked out this time! If it were me, I'd contact the service provider and let them know in no uncertain terms that a last minute substitution will not be tolerated again! It doesn't seem like it would be difficult for them to arrange for you to meet more than one of their walkers, so that if when it happens again, the sub allowed to walk your dog would be someone familiar to both you and your dog. If they can't do that, I'd look for another service provider!
Sabis mom likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 03:31 PM
Elite Member

Two sides of everything. While one person might be upset having a sub, another person might be upset that no one could show up.
atomic likes this.

Snitches get stitches.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 04:47 PM
Crowned Member

If this was your normal dog walkers hand picked sub, I am sure all will be fine. I am sure the sub has been given all the needed info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page