Anybody else using homemade leashes? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Anybody else using homemade leashes?

I put this one together and I'm really happy with it.

The KONG Frog carabiner (not the dog KONG company, it's a climbing company out of Italy) isn't cheap $19 on amazon right now, but the leashes I've seen made using them are all atrociously expensive.

So I decided to make my own. I bought the Frog clip off Amazon, went down to my local Army/Navy Surplus store and bought 3 yards of mil spec webbing $5, and two metal buckles $1, and put together an adjustable sling that I've used for both hands free running and a regular leash. All for $25

Which is about the same price as a regular running leash, made with far less durable materials. Mil spec webbing is rated to hold 4,000 lbs and the FROG clip is rated to around 5,000 lbs.

Anybody else make their own and love it?

dogbyte likes this.

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinois’ love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 03:27 PM
Crowned Member

Shadows long line is homemade and I recently made a second one. It cost me $5 for 75' of marine rope, on sale and I pillaged the clips from old leashes I had. I cut 25' of the rope, put a clip on either end, wrapped each end with electrical tape to prevent fraying and tied two knots to prevent it tightening around my waist and prevent it slipping loose. I have had it now for 7.5 years. If I need a running line I slip a leash handle over it and tie it between two trees and when we are hiking it gets clipped around my waist so my hands are free. Pretty good value.
Tennessee likes this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 05:46 PM

I make handmade paracord leashes, 550 paracord and there 6 feet long and I add a handle, I dont trust flimsy store leashes. I even started donating some to a program that gives services dogs to veterans.Anybody else using homemade leashes?-20180721_004722_1537307085763.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieCrow View Post
I make handmade paracord leashes, 550 paracord and there 6 feet long and I add a handle, I dont trust flimsy store leashes. I even started donating some to a program that gives services dogs to veterans.Attachment 511721
Nice!

Do you braid those yourself?

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinois’ love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 06:45 PM
Crowned Member

Both those leashes look spiffy. However, as near as I've got is 1. At the fairgrounds to track but tracking lead at home. Improvised with bailing twine. Worked fine. Looked like recycled bailing twine. Colorful. 2. 15 ft cotton line came unstitched. Looped it through, tied it and stitched the tie down to the line. Works fine. As parts of this line weakened, I added strategic knots (It was used as a puppy tracer for a few months.) Saved buying a new one. Not particularly pretty but hey...

I prefer leather or cotton because although cotton can give you a rope burn, that pales compared to what a synthetic line can do to human extremities.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 07:08 PM
Elite Member

I have 2 custom made, by k9noz, SuperGrip (non-slip) biothane leashes, one a long line, both with the kong frog carabiners. What's put me off making my own is ensuring the stitching wont rot or fail. I've had 2 clips fail with my dog, so I tend to be fussy about clip and stitch quality.

The webbing and paracord eliminate the stitch quality problem. Could the mil spec webbing and paracord give the handler friction burns?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 10:15 PM
Crowned Member

Nope, got a nice leather multi function leash for 20 bucks at the county Fair.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 11:51 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkirk View Post

The webbing and paracord eliminate the stitch quality problem. Could the mil spec webbing and paracord give the handler friction burns?

Yes. Cotton leads can give you friction burns. Synthetic webbing and paracord more readily.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
Nope, got a nice leather multi function leash for 20 bucks at the county Fair.
Pffft! Leather from the county fair? Call me when your leash is rated to fast rope out of helicopters.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 01:01 PM
Crowned Member

Never used leather as SAR and fmf navy corpsman. Your point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page