Bothering a dog while it is eating: controversy - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 400Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 222 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Bothering a dog while it is eating: controversy

So there seems to be a controversy in the dog world.

There are those who say that you shouldn’t bother a dog that’s eating at all (like me) and there are those that say you should practice taking a dog’s food away in order to prevent food agression. They also say this because it supposedly will assure your dog that you are the Alpha.

I say just dont bother a dog that’s eating at all. I mean I can’t name one animal or person that likes it when someone takes their food away or to be bothered while eating.

But I am one for hearing other points of views, what are y’alls thoughts on this?

EDIT: i just re read the title and it sounds completely wrong, can a Mod please change the Thread Title?

Lobo-2 Year Old German Shepherd Mix(?)
Follow him on Instagram for your dose of adorableness @lobo_ramos15 (Family Friendly)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 222 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 06:56 PM

I'd say you should leave any animal that's eating alone. After all, we don't like it when they bother us while we're eating!

That said, you should always be able to take something out of your dogs mouth when they aren't eating their meal. Mostly as a practical matter in the event they try to eat or chew on something they shouldn't. The vast majority of dogs can tell the difference.

I will not, however, tolerate growling in demand for food or growling before I've walked away after putting the food down. That is an instance where I will either refuse to put the food down until they're quiet, or stand there and wait for a few seconds of silence. I won't take the food away nor will I lean over, but I will stand there, unmoving.
Slamdunc and Nurse Bishop like this.
post #3 of 222 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 07:00 PM
Crowned Member

I thought for a second we had a controversy over eating dogs

I agree that dogs should not be bothered when they are eating.

BUT.. most dogs end up with kids around, a lot of people refuse to crate a dog for meals. Reason dictates that at some point crawling baby or wobbling toddler or excited preteen may bump pooch while eating. I was visiting a friend when my son was about 3 and as we proceeded through the kitchen his dog turned and lunged at my son. She was eating and her dish was near the door. Fortunately I was quick on the draw that day and pulled my child out of harms way, but he did nothing wrong. He was in no way touching or bothering the dog.
Puppies in my house get hand fed a lot. In fact I used to have my son feed them. It's not that I want to bother them eating, it's that I understand that in a busy household stuff happens.
Bud was really aggressive about food and rather then pick a fight I crated him for meals. Had he been available for adoption I would have worked on it.
Some people believe that you can make a dog food aggressive but honestly it has not happened in my house. The point is more to reassure that food is still there even with my fingers in the way then to taunt them and make them feel a need to fight.
stevreb07 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 222 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 07:03 PM
Master Member

Ha, yes, I thought we were going to debate about whether or not to eat dogs, or what seasoning goes best. ;-)

So I am in your camp -
we leave our dog alone when he's eating and I told my kids never to touch/bother him when he's eating.
The few times when I've carelessly "reached in there" (i.e. forgot to add his glucosamine tablet, refill the water bowl, etc) he has had zero reaction. He also lets me take his Kong and thump it for him so the last bits fall out.

I do wonder if taking their food away/interrupting their eating generates feelings of anxiety and stress around eating, and can actually heighten food aggression?

And "feeding from your hand" is different from "taking away the food bowl", I think. I think it feels different to the dog - knowing owner controls food and can give it food, feels different than eating your food and having the owner arbitrarily take it away.

But there are people who say they NEED to have a dog who will never be aggressive around food no matter what, because they have small children and one never knows what will happen. But I think that even small kids (unless babies) should be taught not to bother dog when it's eating...that's good practice around any animal, for safety!
Sabis mom likes this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #5 of 222 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 07:11 PM
Crowned Member

Don't eat dogs.

Don't tease dogs with their own food.

Don't be a tool.

See....no controversy.

post #6 of 222 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 07:20 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDchoice View Post
Ha, yes, I thought we were going to debate about whether or not to eat dogs, or what seasoning goes best. ;-)

So I am in your camp -
we leave our dog alone when he's eating and I told my kids never to touch/bother him when he's eating.
The few times when I've carelessly "reached in there" (i.e. forgot to add his glucosamine tablet, refill the water bowl, etc) he has had zero reaction. He also lets me take his Kong and thump it for him so the last bits fall out.

I do wonder if taking their food away/interrupting their eating generates feelings of anxiety and stress around eating, and can actually heighten food aggression?

And "feeding from your hand" is different from "taking away the food bowl", I think. I think it feels different to the dog - knowing owner controls food and can give it food, feels different than eating your food and having the owner arbitrarily take it away.

But there are people who say they NEED to have a dog who will never be aggressive around food no matter what, because they have small children and one never knows what will happen. But I think that even small kids (unless babies) should be taught not to bother dog when it's eating...that's good practice around any animal, for safety!

So yes. I do not just randomly steal my dogs food. That is mean.

I sit on the floor, dish in my lap, hands in the dish, dog eating while I randomly feed bits or even extra yummies. They eat around my fingers and willingly take what I offer. There is zero interruption of feeding or threats of removal. When the kids were little I used to have them do the same. I would also have them pet the puppies and offer treats during meals.

No removing of dishes! I would bite you for that.
czgsd and tim_s_adams like this.
post #7 of 222 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 07:24 PM
Crowned Member

I have always made sure I can bother any dog I have owned while eating. Always had good results. Funny thing about kids, toddlers and crawling babies, and don't always listen. Seen the results of more than a few kids whose dog didn't like them near their food.
Cassidy's Mom, tc68, Jax08 and 1 others like this.
post #8 of 222 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 07:35 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Don't eat dogs.

Don't tease dogs with their own food.

Don't be a tool.

See....no controversy.
LOL can we make this post a sticky??
Slamdunc and tim_s_adams like this.
post #9 of 222 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 07:42 PM
The Friendly Neighborhood Witch Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoboFloppyEars View Post
So there seems to be a controversy in the dog world.

There are those who say that you shouldnít bother a dog thatís eating at all (like me) and there are those that say you should practice taking a dogís food away in order to prevent food agression. They also say this because it supposedly will assure your dog that you are the Alpha.

I say just dont bother a dog thatís eating at all. I mean I canít name one animal or person that likes it when someone takes their food away or to be bothered while eating.

But I am one for hearing other points of views, what are yíalls thoughts on this?

EDIT: i just re read the title and it sounds completely wrong, can a Mod please change the Thread Title?
I was so happy this thread was not about what the original title implied, lol. I changed it for you.
Cassidy's Mom and Sabis mom like this.

Train the dog in front of you.
post #10 of 222 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 08:00 PM
Crowned Member

Feed all new dogs / puppies by hand (in SOME capacity, for SOME period of time) - build that trust and rapport.

If resource guarding is observed - manage it, leave dog alone while eating.

If resource guarding is not observed - go on about life as usual which may include the rare instance when you have to pick up the food dish mid meal, etc, but more commonly I would take it to mean that most often you’d - leave dogs alone while eating.

I have not known a resource guarder to be “fixed” by constantly bothering them...

I have known them (in a rescue context) to be “fixed” with time, patience and relationship.

That said - I’m on the fence about “creating” a resource guarder by constantly bothering them... although I’ve seen them become worse.

There is a genetic component.

I can confidently walk in my house right now and stick my hand in my dogs bowls while eating - but why the heck would I!?

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 09-17-2018 at 08:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page