Hurricane Florence Preparation - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Hurricane Florence Preparation

Hello everyone! Based on the news it looks like we are going to be hit by this category 4 hurricane. We will decide tomorrow night maybe Wednesday morning if we are going to evacuate. Its extremely likely that we do. Of course our dogs are going to be coming with us. Because there is so much to think about and I don't want to forget anything could anyone please suggest things that I need to remember to bring when we evacuate with our dogs? I have their own evacuation storage bin I have put their life jackets, cooling vests, records, and extra food container in. Thank you for any help!

It's unlikely we stay here but if we do I'm also worried about their going to the bathroom. I wouldn't feel safe at all letting them out during a hurricane even if it was a weaker one. We have had them before but with adult dogs. Now we have an almost 5 month old GSD and a 13 year old Yorkie so things are different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 04:10 PM
Crowned Member

I'm sorry I don't have any experience to offer. All I can advise is:

Don't wait too long to get out.
Gas up your vehicle now.
Stock up on jugs of bottled water.

I am still praying for Florence to blow out to sea. Please keep us posted, as you are able.

Stay safe!
kaydub_u likes this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenzachsmom View Post
I'm sorry I don't have any experience to offer. All I can advise is:

Don't wait too long to get out.
Gas up your vehicle now.
Stock up on jugs of bottled water.

I am still praying for Florence to blow out to sea. Please keep us posted, as you are able.

Stay safe!
Thank you! I'll definitely update. When I get off of work I'm going to get some gallon bottles of water but I have 4 cases of 40 water bottles. I also have a huge travel water jug for the dogs I'll remember to grab along with it too, thank you! It looks like we will be getting hit Thursday. When I get home tonight I'm gonna check the weather to be sure.
Stevenzachsmom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 04:43 PM

I've been keeping an eye on it too.My son and his family are in NC.They are starting evacuations now and the stores are emptying out fast!So gas up,stock up on food and water,and be safe!
kaydub_u likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 05:14 PM

All, please do not wait to evacuate. Get out now. Gas stations will run out of gas and the highways will fill. This is a common thing that happens during mass evacuations. People leave too late and get stranded when gas runs out at gas stations when they're only getting 100 miles on a tank because they're sitting in traffic.
kaydub_u likes this.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 05:16 PM
Crowned Member

ID tags, flyers about contact info in case they get lost. Vaccination papers, if they have a CGC title, bring this as it can make it easier to take them places. Lots of dry food. Don't forget yourself. heat reflecting blanket, pocket knives, can opener.
Good luck, hope it is not needed.
kaydub_u likes this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 05:25 PM
Crowned Member

Have more drinking water than you think you will need. Basic first aid. Plan your escape route now. Me, I would have already have left.
wolfy dog and kaydub_u like this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 05:33 PM

My father went through this with Katrina, in Biloxi. Stayed, and ended up with 5 and a half feet of water in his house. His advice is GO as soon as you are able. The traffic is going to be horrendous the longer you wait, and hotel/motel rooms are scarce.

Be safe! And let us know how you’re doing!
kaydub_u likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 05:57 PM
Elite Member

I've been through more than I can remember living here in FL, hope you've gassed up by now and got your water because chaos is probably about to hit where you're at if it hasn't already. Decide now if you are going or staying. We always ride out the storms here but our structures are built for it since we get hit so often, hurricane Charlie hit us the worst. Irma last year was rough too. Find a good radio and make sure you have batteries for it, tune in to the weather station. There are usually great narrators out there that travel around in the storm and you can get an idea what the next wave is going to feel like. Since you have some time get some wood boards and board up your windows (label them so next time you know which board belongs where), put inside anything that can be dangerous when airborne. As far as the dogs most have covered it here, make a list so you don't forget anything. Some shelters I've heard will turn away dogs and you have to leave them out the pound, not sure how true that is since we don't evacuate and never have before. Gandalf refused to go to the bathroom during the entire storm, it was MANY hours, so make sure you've let them pee before it hits. If you are staying put water in all your pots and freeze them so you have ice now, and fill your tub up with water so you can flush if the power is out for months. Make sure you have fuel for BBQ, stock up on canned foods, test out your generator. Put candles out in good spots now so you aren't searching in the dark, same with flashlights and batteries. Have a safe room, middle of the house with no windows and put down an air mattress, dog beds, pillows, things you need. We slept in our closet all night during Irma with Gandalf... it was really hot since the power was out but werent complaining as a tornado tore through our neighborhood. Will be praying for all you up there.... let us know how you are once the storm is over!

Water is the most important thing.

Here's G next to our neighbors tree that fell down on their house, they had to chop it all up and carry it away it was so huge! After is the "fun" part, clean up... collect lots of fire wood for next winter and make some crafts lol
Attached Images

SQUIRREL!

Last edited by GandalfTheShepherd; 09-10-2018 at 06:28 PM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2018, 06:41 PM
Crowned Member

For your vet records, ask the vet to EMAIL you a full patient chart. Print out a copy, and leave a copy in cloud storage.

Put a copy of your homeowners and flood insurance and car insurance in the cloud too, along with digital pictures of your whole house (every room, and if you have time a picture of what's in every drawer and closet).

Visit your safe deposit box at the bank and decide what goes. If you have US government paper savings bonds and stock certificates, I would take them -- you can convert them to cash if you need to. Just guard them very carefully.

Don't forget your irreplaceable pictures and family momentos too.

If you don't have a solar cell phone charger, consider paying Amazon to express ship one. Keeping phones charged when power's out for days (or even weeks) can be seriously challenging. Our neighborhood's power after Gustav was out for 3 weeks.

I would also pre-book a room at an inland Motel 6 or La Quinta (they are friendly for big dogs) if you plan to evacuate. Plan your evac route, and be sure friends and family have ways to contact you other than your cell if needed (cell phones get wet, lost, and run out of charge).

Be sure to leave your fridge/freezer EMPTY. There's nothing like coming back into a house after the power's been out for weeks and smelling rotting food in the fridge/freezer.

If you don't evacuate....a Hurricane Party the day before with friends and neighbors is a grand Louisiana tradition. These parties eat through the fridge/freezer. Otherwise you'll be barbequeing on an outdoor grill the day after and feeding anybody who's around before the meat spoils--that's a thing too. (Just be sure you've got a full propane tank or bag of charcoal stored where it will stay dry if you plan to feed the neighborhood storm riders). Having an elevated place to park your car would also be good if your neighborhood is likely to flood -- like the upper deck of a parking garage or in a parking lot on top of a hill.

Last edited by Magwart; 09-10-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page