I must just be weird. - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 104Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 12:08 PM
Crowned Member

I’m going to be honest and blunt. I don’t see where there is a basis for any disagreement about breed standards. When I got a WL puppy, I chose that dog and breeder because I wanted a certain temperament and structure. I got a bit more than I expected in terms of drive, but otherwise, I got what I selected. I have been looking for a more therapy/service temperament for my next dog and have seriously considered I might need a different breed, because the type of GSD I want is not typically suited for it. If I do get another German Shepherd, which is by far my favorite breed, then I would intentionally look for one that is not standard in terms of sociability but otherwise standard in every way.

I also understand someone who does their research, gets what they think is a dog bred to standard and finds out later it isn’t. They have a right to be upset. Whether someone rehomes or not is a personal issue. Rehoming for a wonky ear is just heartless and silly. I don’t have respect for that. Rehoming because a dog is too much for the owner or is not what they can handle is a completely different situation. If someone just wants a family pet and gets a high drive dog they are unable to train or handle, it’s cruel to the dog to keep it.

The responsibility lies with the buyer before they ever talk to a breeder. Learn the standard, research breeders, ask here, learn to read a pedigree. Know exactly what a breeder’s dogs throw and they will not ever or rarely, get the wrong dog for their situation.

I think pet lines have muddied up the breed. They are not really true German Shepherds. I would guess maybe half GSD owners don’t even know what the breed standard is. Then someone gets a dog that is standard and they are shocked. Or they are unprepared for the work it takes to move a puppy from landsharking and out of control energy to the adults they see out in their communities.

At the same time, just because some pet lines are non standard or rescues are giving out dogs that are not typical GSDs, why shouldn’t someone who ends up with a 100# dog out of 70# parents wonder if they were lied too? How often does a dog with a traceable genetic lineage from known stock end up that far out of standard? Probably less than 1%. A good breeder know what they are producing.

If it’s a rescue, you can’t trust any of them unless they have proven they know what they are doing and are honest. I just got a solicitation froma rescue for “high needs” dogs that are looking at long term fostering. Some had health problems but what jumped out at me is that every single dog they can’t find homes for is dog aggressive. Every one. I can tell breed pretty well from a picture and all but one are purebred. I actually trust this rescue to identify and evaluate dogs well, so when they admit the dogs are DA, I believe them. Why can’t they find homes? Because our breed is not supppsed to be DA. Oddly enough, out of about a dozen dogs, two are extremely HA but the rest are very sociable. Does that sound like a well bred GSD? Overly social and sweet toward people but DA?
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 12:16 PM
Crowned Member

Just because a dog is not a right fit does not mean a person can't or doesn't love unconditionally but actually proves they love and care enough about others to make hard decisions that benefit all.

Not everyone marries the first person they kiss or date because not everyone is right for anybody. Same can be said about dogs. German Shepherds are great family dogs for the right family, not all families. And even then there are variations within the breed which is why people are advised to visit training fields, kennels, and meet the parents of a prospective puppy. One size does not fit all.

Time itself is a very powerful component of learning. So learn to wait. Learn to forgive. Learn to backup. It's all necessary for learning.

Teach! Teach! Teach! Be fair to your dog!
post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 12:19 PM
Crowned Member

@LuvShepherds, good post.

Time itself is a very powerful component of learning. So learn to wait. Learn to forgive. Learn to backup. It's all necessary for learning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 12:25 PM
Crowned Member

I’m not talking about the right fit I’m talking more along the lines of looks. People dumping dogs for soft ears etc, spots not place right etc. crooked noses, dogs that needs to be trained. There are so many dogs that are dumped for all kinds of reason that there are rescues every other mile. I have kids I know all about the necessity of choosing dogs to being able to mesh well in a busy home it was the number one priority. Yes on one size does not fit all for sure. I remember bring picking up my horse the first time it is exciting but I was worried are we doing to mesh well are we going to bond is this going to work. A big expense and heartbreaking otherwise. I was happy we were able to get a trial basis. I counted my blessings it worked out so well. He was certainly one of kind special. I do realize this is not alway the case no matter how much effort you put into it. Think about my horse jay I’m getting ready eyed - nothing new - max is watching with concern and calmness how I love that dog he is in tune with every emotion.
gsdluvr and Sabis mom like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 08-05-2018 at 12:55 PM.
post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 12:47 PM
Crowned Member

When my working line GSD's ears did not stand by the time he was 6.5 months, I did.... Nothing. When my showline's ears did not stand at 6 months, I taped.....REMOVED BY MODERATOR....

Somebody may want a larger GSD because they have plans of using it as a mobility support service dog. What do they do when the dog hits 45# as an adult? Should they keep getting another and another until they get the 90# dog they need? Should they never re-home any?

Breed standards have their place. I remember when my first bitch grew to 80#. The breeder said he expected that as there were a lot of big dogs in her lineage. This is why it is important to go to a good breeder that knows their dogs if one has specific wants or needs. We should not be beating up on newbies that didn't know better. We all started somewhere.

Dogs deserve good homes where they are treated with love and respect, not kept by someone who is disappointed in them.
LuvShepherds and gsdluvr like this.

Last edited by dogma13; 08-05-2018 at 01:17 PM. Reason: inflammatory remark
post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 12:53 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny720 View Post
Iím not talking about the right fit Iím talking more along the lines of looks. People dumping dogs for soft ears etc, spots not place right etc. crooked noses, dogs that needs to be trained. There are so many dogs that are dumped for all kinds of reason that there are rescues every other mile. I have kids I know all about the necessity of choosing dogs to being able to mesh well in a busy home it was the number one priority. Yes on one size does not fit all for sure.
Iím curious how many quality breeders end up producing puppies that have physical flaws which are not standard. Of course there are genetic anomalies, but a good breeder knows if a dog is going to consistently produce defective dogs not to breed them again. A breeder who knows their lines will be able to make different choices for subsequent breedings. All puppies need training, German Shepherds especially need good solid foundation work. Those odd features are usually visible as puppies and the buyer can always choose not to buy the dog.

I follow a few rescue groups and rarely are dogs dumped because they have a crooked tail. They are just as likely to be dumped because someone remodeled and got new furniture or floors. People can be very thoughtless about dogs. I knew someone who had her dog put to sleep because it had Cushings and smelled bad. I happened to have a loved GSD with the same disease that we were treating successfully at the same and were able to avoid bad smells. I could never be friends with that woman again. Her dog was a beagle boxer mix and she wanted a purebred so she euthíd the dog on an excuse rather than try to treat it.
post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 12:56 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Iím not talking about the right fit Iím talking more along the lines of looks. People dumping dogs for soft ears etc, spots not place right etc. crooked noses, dogs that needs to be trained. There are so many dogs that are dumped for all kinds of reason that there are rescues every other mile. I have kids I know all about the necessity of choosing dogs to being able to mesh well in a busy home it was the number one priority. Yes on one size does not fit all for sure.

Exactly..you get it!....that's precisely what Sabis mom meant when she started this thread.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 12:59 PM
Crowned Member

Lol I love Dobermans I like the ears cropped and and tails docked. I worked with a vet who was best at doing so. If my gsd ear flopped I would try my best to get it to stand I would not dump him if there was a fail. There are a lot of people who do it is shocking but true.

post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 01:00 PM
Crowned Member

Shane’s dad- Yes thank you. Superficial stuff I was commenting on as this thread was about- I was like what -I had to reread.
Shane'sDad likes this.

Last edited by Jenny720; 08-05-2018 at 01:02 PM.
post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Lol I love Dobermans I like the ears cropped and and tails docked. I worked with a vet who was best at doing so. If my gsd ear flopped I would try my best to get it to stand I would not dump him if there was a fail. There are a lot of people who do it is shocking but true.

Ears. They have the ability to drive me crazy, lol.

I took in a beautiful Dobe one time that had one ear down. It drove me nuts, Iíll admit, because I love a pretty head. But she was a fabulous dog, a great pet. I had to find her a home because I already had a female Dobe and same sex aggressive reared itís ugly head. She found a new home because of that, not because of her goofy ear.

I had a puppy mill rescue Italian Greyhound whose ears stood straight up, and went blind at 3 from a genetic eye disease (thank you puppymiller). I had her for 15 years, and not a day went by that her ears didnít bug me. But sheís been one of my all time favorite dogs. I canít imagine not having her because of those ears!

I havenít had to deal with soft ears on any of the GSDs Iíve shown.

Russell has the ugliest feet Iíve ever seen on a dog. I try not to look at them, lol.
Sabis mom likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page