German Shepherds Forum banner

Pet insurance

21K views 105 replies 35 participants last post by  calebgilk 
#1 ·
Hi all, wanting get pet health insurance. Looking at healthy paws. Anyone have ? Any recommendations for other companies? Thanks all

#3 ·
I have Healthy Paws on two of my dogs. No real complaints. They’ve covered everything and our monthly rates aren’t unreasonable. I have Trupanin on my other dog. I LOVE their coverage, but their premiums are HIGH. They have raised our rates nearly 20 percent every year. No complaints on coverage otherwise, though. I‘ve had to appeal quite a few things with Trupanion, which is a pain. But they have ended up covering things in the end. I had to appeal one thing with Healthy Paws and it was much easier to do than it is with Trupanion.

#6 ·
I was considering either Figo or Healthy Paws. Nearly went with Figo but after advices from people, and considering the rates, I went with Healthy Paws. Only had them for 2 months, no claims so far, but their customer service is prompt and quick. Compared to Figo, with the same deduction and % coverage, I save $20 a month, with Figo's annual cap at $10k and Healthy Paws no caps. It was a no-brainer.

#7 ·
Me. I have. Very happy with it. And if you are going to get it, let me know. :) I get $25 for a referral ;)

Yearly deductible instead of per incident.
Will cover both knees if an acl blows out intead of just one
Will cover hips if not diagnosed within the first year of coverage
I have $250/90% for $37.
Any claims I've had to make have been covered quickly

#8 · (Edited)
I went with Figo because it pays the exam fees which Healthy Paws does not and also I can adjust the reimbursemfent and the deductible. So I seleted a $200 deductible and 70% reimbursement. My premium is currently $32/month. This was also the cheapest premium quoted for my area. I did go with the 10K annual cap but there is the option to have a higher cap. Figo also will cover hip dysplasia from age 4 months whereas Healthy Paws is from age one-year. Healthy Paws was about $45 and the others were even more when I was looking for insurance for Baron last year. I will also have the option to further adjust the deductible and reimbursement at the time the premium increases. I have had one claim and it was settled in 3 days. The online form was very short and simple and all I had to do was attach the vet bill and the medical records. I also called them about a question and received a prompt reply. The Pet Cloud is really great as it stores all of Baron's records, claims, and so on. It is easy to access and keeps everything in one place. If Baron were to need vet care while traveling, the vet could access the records online.

#13 ·
Make sure your dog has ZERO pre existing conditions and has never been sick. Healthy paws would not cover an unrelated condition in our dog and blamed it on one of his pre existing problems. I'm not happy at all with them, seems like pet insurance in general is a major rip off. We're just setting aside our own in a seperate account for his medical issues.

#14 ·
One tip about pre-existing conditions: within 30 days of signing up for a policy, I went to the vet for a check up told the vet we're just there to make an insurance record. He was cool with that -- he did a comprehensive exam (incl. ortho) and noted "normal" next to everything, and he updated any prior issues that had been previously treated (like ear infections, etc.) to "fully resolved" or something like that. This was all above-board and honest -- just documenting correct findings, but he totally understood what we were doing and wrote his notes with the expectation they'd be used by an insurance company down the road (not just for in-house use). It cost me an exam visit, but I think it made the claims process easier.

I would do this for ANY company you sign up with.

#15 ·
We did a TON of research on this subject prior to getting Sheba, and Trupanion wins, hands down. 90% coverage, (instead of standard 80%) pretty much everything is covered, (all illnesses and injuries, hereditary and congenital conditions, diagnostic testing, cancer treatments, hospital stays, all surgeries, hip dysplasia issues, medications, supplements, prosthetic devices/carts, etc) and most importantly, there are no maximum payouts ever, so even if you get a $15,000 vet bill, 90% of it is covered. You get to choose your rate of deductable, which you only ever pay once, per condition, for the life of your pet. No other company even comes close to this coverage, plus their premiums are very reasonable. (not sure if Trupanion in the USA offers the same coverage as it does here in Canada)

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

Reactions: GSD2
#16 ·
Other plans also offer 90% coverage options, and an annual deductible, as opposed to per condition. I like that Trupanion will pay vets directly. I am currently shopping for a plan also, and so far like Pet Plan’s coverage best. Does anyone have any experience with Pet Plan?

#19 · (Edited)
Truepanion is good and really expensive. They have some exclusions as well. They do not cover anal gland expression for one and this below which is written in the contract in my state.

Read your policy, than read it again. All these companies are out to protect themselves.

Some of Truepanions contracts have this in it depending where you live. Based on this, I didn't even consider them. If you do not have this line in your policy or get your dog fixed before age one, than they are a company if its affordable I would recommend.

You must arrange for your pet to be neutered or spayed prior to its
first birthday. If you do not comply, no coverage shall apply for illness
related to prostate problems, hormonal skin conditions, perianal
hernias, testicular tumors, perianal tumors, mammary tumors,
uterine and ovarian conditions, birthing, or injury due to fighting,
collision with a motor vehicle, or aggressive behavior. This stipulation
does not apply to pets where the timing of being spayed or neutered
was in conjunction with their veterinarian’s medical
recommendations, or to pets spayed or neutered within 60 days of
being adopted.

#20 · (Edited)
I like that trupanion will pay direct to the vet - if the vet accepts this - not all vets will accept direct payment from trupanion but it is nice option. I like there are different packages with different deductibles and monthly payments. We have trupanion and had no issues with claims- received a check one week later. If we would switch insurance- coverage for our older chihuahua decreases so as of now I have no complaints- it’s for those insane vet bills -max’s stick and corncob sx and really has helped out. In the senior years vet costs can be pricey it’s the reason why I wanted to get pet insurance.

#21 ·
kr16;9093323 [B said:
You must arrange for your pet to be neutered or spayed prior to its
first birthday. If you do not comply, no coverage shall apply for illness
related to prostate problems, hormonal skin conditions, perianal
hernias, testicular tumors, perianal tumors, mammary tumors,
uterine and ovarian conditions, birthing, or injury due to fighting,
collision with a motor vehicle, or aggressive behavior. This stipulation
does not apply to pets where the timing of being spayed or neutered
was in conjunction with their veterinarian’s medical
recommendations, or to pets spayed or neutered within 60 days of
being adopted.
[/B]
Wow is this true?

#22 ·
LOL, it was posted by one of the few people on the board who actually read insurance contracts for a living. If you look back at the sticky thread, kr16 has done outstanding policy analysis here, for a long time.

Anyone who buys pet insurance without reading the actual insurance contract is playing with fire -- with any company.

#25 ·
Right. Because I read Healthy Paws, Figo, Embrace, Petplan, Trupanion's policy thoroughly (I live in California) and it didn't say such thing, so I was like what? Lol. I enrolled with Healthy Paws just 2 months ago, went to the vet within 30 days, and already submitted the health record to them. Wouldn't want any surprises should I ever make a claim!

#26 ·
I had PetsBest for years in California, no complaints. Now in Idaho, I have had Embrace for the past year. So far, so good. Quick reimbursements - pay 100% for exams and monthly flea meds. Had my pup spayed recently & cant remember exact percentage, but I don’t remember feeling gauged with the final post-ins bill! ?

#31 ·
#36 ·
Haha, Shane's Dad! Yeah it's a rough life... not! Thank-you for your kind comments regarding my Newfoundland photography; very much appreciated.

A view like that every morning must do a the body and mind much good! Gorgeous photos!
Thanks Jenny720. We wholeheartedly agree. There is nothing like waking up to such stunning vistas right outside our living room window every day. This very special place may not be for everyone, but we have been here for 11 years, and can't imagine living anywhere else.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.