German Shepherds Forum banner

Pet insurance

21K views 105 replies 35 participants last post by  calebgilk 
#1 ·
Hi all, wanting get pet health insurance. Looking at healthy paws. Anyone have ? Any recommendations for other companies? Thanks all

#96 ·
Pet insurance for a 8 year GSD is $250/month ha! A puppy it’s $50/month but they go up yearly. I looked into pet insurance and found a interesting stat that most people buy it when a puppy then cancel it after 3 years as the rates start getting too high. Personally, I think your way better off just saving $50/month in an separate savings account and be your own insurance. If you bought from a good breeder who does health testing and you give the dog good food and exercise, you really shouldn’t be spending much if anything at all on yearly vet bills. It’s only when the dog is near the end of his life when it can get expensive, if you put $50 a month away for 10 years that $6000 you’ll have to cover the dogs old age vet bills. Maybe a working/sport dogs may benefit from pet insurance as injury risk becoming much higher.

#97 ·
Not sure where you are getting your information, but I can't imagine anyone paying $250/month for an older GSD... that's insane. My 11 year old's insurance costs about the same as my almost 2 year old. I use Trupanion, (not to be mistaken for Trupanion in the US, which seems to be quite expensive) and the most it ever goes up is 1.5- 2% annually.

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

#99 ·
Pet insurance is rated by the overall risk pool, and GSDs can have a whole host of genetic issues, as well as the mundane injuries and illness. My last GSD had severe HD which required a hip replacement, seizure disorder, torsion, and then hemangiosarcoma.

He lived an active happy 10 years until the day he died. We would have gone deeply in debt for his veterinary treatment without insurance.

I’m sure we singlehandedly increased the cost of insurance for every GSD with Trupanion insurance.

With my new pup, I put insurance on him as we drove away from the breeder. Yes, it’s expensive. I carry insurance on all my dogs from the very minute I get them. With some, it’s been financially worth it; with others, Trupanion has made some profit.

For me, the peace of mind alone is worth it.

Reactions: Heidigsd and Jax08
#106 · (Edited)
Great idea! Unfortunately, many owners neglect medical insurance for their pets. In my opinion, this is a significant omission because you never know what might happen.
I have been choosing which insurance program to choose for a long time. This resource helped me a lot in choosing — Best Dog & Puppy Health Insurance Plans | Pet Insurance Review. I strongly advise you to get acquainted. There are clear comparisons of different insurance plans.
Now I am calm for my pet because, at any time, I can use the chosen insurance. I advise you not to save money; it's better to choose the most optimal offer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.