Pet insurance - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 12:20 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
Yikes, it certainly begs the question... why is Sheba's coverage only $48/month with $300 deductible? It makes no sense at all. Surely each province can't vary by that much! Here is our policy for Sheba: (and our 11-year-old Shih Tzu's coverage is similarly priced)

Pet Name: Sheba
Date of birth: August 12/2017
Type: Dog
Breed: German Shepherd
Policy Plan: Standard
Monthly premium for this pet: $48.22
Deductible: $300.00 per illness or injury
Clinic Name: Gander Veterinary Clinic
Effective date of coverage: 10/4/2017
Co-insurance: After the deductible is met Trupanion pays 90%*, you pay 10% of all covered claims.
Waiting Periods: Paid Accident Coverage starts 5 days and illness coverage 30 days from the effective date of your policy.

I think that whoever gave you that crazy quote had to have made an error. I would contact them again, and ask for an explanation as to why others are getting such reasonable rates, while yours went right through the roof!

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland
It was just an online quote and they claim that prices vary by area due to cost of coverage. An exam fee here is around $100, I have no idea how that compares to other places. But I will call them and question it further.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 01:33 AM
Master Member

If sabis is quoted that much for a German Shep in that state, can't imagine how much it would be for Rotts or Danes
post #43 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 02:20 AM
Crowned Member

When I had my Dane the two insurance companies available declined to cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 02:29 AM
Crowned Member

348.94 for a 7 year old intact female Dane. Same info as Shadows just a different breed.
post #45 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 04:41 AM
Master Member

That's crazy I can't even 😂
post #46 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 11:00 AM

Sheba is very young. Premiums go up with age. Your low premium might also reflect lower vet fees in your area. Go to their quote app and plug in the same info except try it with different ages and see what your premiums would be.

Beau is 3, and intact, and Trupanion quoted $63 a month for his premium here in Tucson, with a $300 deductible per injury/illness. Exam fees in Tucson range from $30 to over $100, depending on where you go. Changing his age to 6, 10, and 13, premiums went up to $86, $125, and $151 respectively. No doubt they’ll be higher when he actually hits those ages, as prices rise for vet care.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #47 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 11:16 AM
Elite Member

Trupanion looks good but if I multiply the monthly totals for my dogs by 12 for a year = $6,756. With a $200 deductible PER visit.

I can't justify that. I could pick and chose who to cover- maybe just cover my youngest, but then you just KNOW the ones I don't cover will be the ones needing the coverage. Plus, for minor visits of under $300, I wouldn't be saving anything with deductible and monthly.

Over the course of my dog's lives, it (hopefully) wouldn't save me money, but would cost me considerably.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #48 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 01:10 PM

I just bit the bullet on HealthyPaws for Trickster here in Tucson. He is almost 1.5 yrs, and intact. $57 a month with 90% coinsurance after $250 deductible. The abandon with which this guy throws himself after that ball or frisbee - face plants and somersaults when he stops -- got me to thinking it was a good idea.
Sabis mom and camperbc like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Before you ask me anything, be very sure you really want to know the answer.
post #49 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau's Mom View Post
Sheba is very young. Premiums go up with age. Your low premium might also reflect lower vet fees in your area.
I am inclined to agree that it may well be due to our residing within the province of Newfoundland. Seems that most things do cost substantially less here, and I would think the same may hold true for our rural vet fees, when compared to other parts of Canada. I am a bit surprised though that our aging (almost 11 years old) purebred Shih Tzu also has monthly premiums in the same ballpark as Sheba's. (similar low premium, though with $100 more deductible) We have also been assured that we should not expect to see any major/sudden hikes in our rates (for either pooch) in the coming years, as rate increases would be largely based upon the annual cost of living/inflation rate in our region, which apparently has remained pretty stable in recent years. Only time will tell, but Trupanion has so far been treating us very well.

I will add though, that if Trupanion were ever to go against their word, and suddenly begin to jack our rates way up, we would likely just come up with a simple savings plan of our own, by beginning to deposit a set monthly amount into a separate account to be used only toward any health/medical costs which may arise. I think that many (perhaps even most) pet owners could manage to set aside, say, $100-200/month, which would make for a nice little nest egg of $14,000-$28,000 over the dogs' lifespan. (even before factoring in any interest on these savings) Even a simple plan like this could surely save one from a lot of stress/grief for when a serious health issue suddenly arises. I have heard so many reports over the years, of pet owners suddenly finding themselves completely overwhelmed, and unprepared for dealing with an expensive vet bill.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland
Sabis mom likes this.

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred Shih Tzu - Chrissy
mixed Maltese/Scottish Terrier - Bubba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
purebred Toy Poodle - Freeway
purebred Toy Poodle - Benji
post #50 of 105 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 12:22 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
I am inclined to agree that it may well be due to our residing within the province of Newfoundland. Seems that most things do cost substantially less here, and I would think the same may hold true for our rural vet fees, when compared to other parts of Canada. I am a bit surprised though that our aging (almost 11 years old) purebred Shih Tzu also has monthly premiums in the same ballpark as Sheba's. (similar low premium, though with $100 more deductible) We have also been assured that we should not expect to see any major/sudden hikes in our rates (for either pooch) in the coming years, as rate increases would be largely based upon the annual cost of living/inflation rate in our region, which apparently has remained pretty stable in recent years. Only time will tell, but Trupanion has so far been treating us very well.

I will add though, that if Trupanion were ever to go against their word, and suddenly begin to jack our rates way up, we would likely just come up with a simple savings plan of our own, by beginning to deposit a set monthly amount into a separate account to be used only toward any health/medical costs which may arise. I think that many (perhaps even most) pet owners could manage to set aside, say, $100-200/month, which would make for a nice little nest egg of $14,000-$28,000 over the dogs' lifespan. (even before factoring in any interest on these savings) Even a simple plan like this could surely save one from a lot of stress/grief for when a serious health issue suddenly arises. I have heard so many reports over the years, of pet owners suddenly finding themselves completely overwhelmed, and unprepared for dealing with an expensive vet bill.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland
Years ago when I was not much more then a kid I had to euthanize a dog for lack of funds to treat a serious issue. It devastated me. So I came up with a plan. I make friends with my vet, I give them referrals any chance I get, I put money in a dedicated savings plan and the only credit card I have lives in my safe. In the event of an emergency with some wiggling I could come up with enough to stall for time.
It's funny that the $50 bucks a month each that I put away for Sabs and Bud never got used and ended up helping with Shadows bills. Sabi amassed about $9000 over her life span (less the $900 it cost for her spay surgery), Bud was a bit more and needed none of it.

Shadow is good at keeping her account drained but over the last 2 years has built us a bit of a cushion.
huntergreen likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page