Pet insurance - Page 11 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_bob View Post
Interesting, I got that quote from PetPlan. Iíll look into Trupanion.
Yeah, Trupanion seems to have the very best coverage, at least here in Canada. We did a TON of research on this subject prior to getting Sheba, and Trupanion wins, hands down. 90% coverage, (instead of standard 80%) pretty much everything under the sun is covered, (all illnesses and injuries, hereditary and congenital conditions, diagnostic testing, cancer treatments, hospital stays, all surgeries, hip dysplasia issues, medications, supplements, prosthetic devices/carts, etc) and most importantly, there are no maximum payouts ever, so even if you get multiple $15,000 vet bills over time, 90% of it is always covered. You get to choose your rate of deductable, which you only ever pay once, per condition, for the life of your pet. No other company even came close to this coverage, plus their premiums are very reasonable. We pay about $50/month including tax. Also worth mentioning that we don't have to pay anything up front, as our vet's office handles all of the billing details directly with Trupanion.

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred Shih Tzu - Chrissy
mixed Maltese/Scottish Terrier - Bubba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
purebred Toy Poodle - Freeway
purebred Toy Poodle - Benji
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 105 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
Yeah, Trupanion seems to have the very best coverage, at least here in Canada. We did a TON of research on this subject prior to getting Sheba, and Trupanion wins, hands down. 90% coverage, (instead of standard 80%) pretty much everything under the sun is covered, (all illnesses and injuries, hereditary and congenital conditions, diagnostic testing, cancer treatments, hospital stays, all surgeries, hip dysplasia issues, medications, supplements, prosthetic devices/carts, etc) and most importantly, there are no maximum payouts ever, so even if you get multiple $15,000 vet bills over time, 90% of it is always covered. You get to choose your rate of deductable, which you only ever pay once, per condition, for the life of your pet. No other company even came close to this coverage, plus their premiums are very reasonable. We pay about $50/month including tax. Also worth mentioning that we don't have to pay anything up front, as our vet's office handles all of the billing details directly with Trupanion.

Glen
$50 a month for that insurance coverage makes a lot of sense then, but why are my quotes so much higher than yours?
post #103 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 12:03 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Trupanion quoted me 250/mo with a 200 deductible. That seemed pretty steep. And they won't cover anything pre existing.
Quote:
$50 a month for that insurance coverage makes a lot of sense then, but why are my quotes so much higher than yours?
I posted this a while back. I checked a few different companies and the quotes were ridiculous. I opted to bank the cash and get a credit card just for her, for emergencies. The puppy premiums go up every year, so even if you get insurance on a new puppy by the time they are full grown adults you are paying a lot. I tried Alberta and then tried again in Ontario.
scuba_bob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
I have heard people say that it depends on which province you reside in, but even so, I'm not sure why NL would be so much cheaper than other provinces. Our senior dog (almost 12) costs us only a buck or two more per month than our 22 month old. (we currently pay about $51 and $49). Having said that, if Trupanion suddenly started doubling or tripling our premiums, then we would cancel our policies and simply put money aside each month in our own emergency doggie medical fund, and be done with it. But Trupanion has assured us that our rates will increase just a wee bit each year, basically to reflect the annual inflation rate, (generally in the ballpark of 2%) which has indeed been our experience to date.

Glen

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred Shih Tzu - Chrissy
mixed Maltese/Scottish Terrier - Bubba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
purebred Toy Poodle - Freeway
purebred Toy Poodle - Benji
post #105 of 105 (permalink) Old 07-01-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Did your car insurance go up this year, without any accidents or claims? Your health insurance? Etc. Minor increases are just kind of how the entire industry rolls. My Healthy Paws increases have been mildly annoying but far less than employer health insurance increases! When I had PetPlan, I was seeing increases exceeding 25% a year, with policy revisions giving me worse coverage to go along with paying more.

HP did jump when one of my old dogs crossed a key age in their rating software -- so you should expect to see a bigger increase as a dog becomes a senior, but that shouldn't be much of a surprise as they're higher-risk at that age, and the contract isn't a level-premium for life.

I *wish* there were a rider where if you bought it for a young dog, the premium would stay level for 15 years...kind of like term life insurance. I'd far rather "lose the bet" and have them keep my money without any claims than go through that.

I know it's easy to feel like you're "wasting money" in the years when you have no claim....but try to remind yourself, that's the point of insurance. You don't want to have claims on your car insurance, flood insurance, fire/homeowners insurance, or life insurance either, right? And yet you pay for them. You don't want major claims on health insurance either. Not having claims means life is good -- nobody's hurt or suffering.

The year I "won the bet" with pet insurance was a year my dog was diagnosed with cancer. Keep that in perspective as you look back at not having any claims.
Fortunately my car insurance hasn't increased in a couple of years, and has never increased 10% in a year; same for health insurance. I would be screaming bloody murder! But yeah, I agree, when you need insurance, you're glad to have it. I had a dog with cancer and I had no health insurance for him. It took YEARS for me to pay off his medical expenses. Still annoying when my policy goes up because other people are making claims, and it never goes down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page