How to avoid leaving our dog in the car???? - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Nooooo of course I won't. I'll be trying to to avoid having him in the car. Don't worry about it I'm not one of those people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 09:23 PM
Elite Member

post #63 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 10:41 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawsed View Post
Fail this or fail that, the bottom line is that if the car and dogs were cool when you leave, and the engine shuts off or the AC fails, your dog will not die in fifteen minutes.

I'm sorry, but this is completely incorrect. It can take only a few minutes for a dog to die of heat stroke. I know this for a fact and have friends who have left their dog for less than 10 minutes to come back to a car with a dead dog in it. They can suffer serious brain damage before that length of time.

Dogs will overheat faster than children, since they don't sweat. They can pant, but panting overheated air only contributes to the problem.

Police k-9's are not left in closed cars, at least not by officers that are paying attention. I have seen news reports of police dogs killed that way, so if it happens, the dog pays the price, and the officer as well.

In my opinion, it's just not worth taking the chance. Take your dog home to a cool and safe environment and make another trip to the store. It's not that big a deal.
You're still friends with someone "who have left their dog for less than 10 minutes to come back to a car with aa dead dog in it?!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 10:15 AM

Yes I am. It was not intentional. She got distracted by a herd of kids swarming her for attention when she drove up and they were all over her when she got out of the car. By the time she got free of them, it was too late. And even though she was parked in the shade, it didn't help. This was in an area that routinely gets over 100 during the summer and she was aware of the risk. She has never forgiven herself for that lapse in attention, and she certainly didn't do that on purpose.

People have killed their children the same way. I'm sure they didn't do it on purpose, either. Every year children died in cars there, as they do in many places. Accidents, however horrible they might be, happen to us all.
Sabis mom likes this.
post #65 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 11:21 AM

Just to clarify one point, K-9's are left in cars during the shift. We check on them constantly. Our cars have heat alarms, temperature sensors and will page or call our cell phone if the interior temp goes off 85 degrees. The windows come down, a large fan kicks on and the lights and alarm go off. The system we use costs about $1500. Also our cars have radiator coolers and are designed to run all day. When I go to work, I never turn my car off. My car runs or idles for about 10 hours a day.

I have travelled extensively across the US with dogs in my car, in all kinds of weather. If I stop at a store I leave my personal car running with the doors locked. I do have fans running on batteries as a back up, temperature monitors in my personal car as well. I will also pop the hood or leave the hood up to vent heat from the engine. The biggest thing that I would worry about would be my car overheating. My Honda Odyssey has proven to be very reliable and barely burns any gas idling for hours. Again, I check on my dogs or bring them where I go.

Some one breaking into your car is a concern, most dogs can be easily stolen. Few dogs will put up a real fight. My female wouldn't bite anyone, my male is a completely different story. If you got him out of the car you would be wearing him like a fur coat and a trip to the hospital would be the next stop.

I would never leave a dog in a car with the windows up or even cracked unless it was very cool outside, like well under 60 degrees. Even then, I would have the windows down a few inches. I have vent visors on my windows so I can leave them down a few inches and rain will not come in. It also prevents some one from reaching in and trying to pet the dog and getting bit.
Sabis mom, Pawsed and CometDog like this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #66 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 11:59 AM
Elite Member

" Wearing him like a fur coat"

Yesterday morning I went grocery shopping (in Texas) as soon as I woke up and I was amazed. The place was deserted, hardly any cars in the parking lot. Usually it is like a zoo, just packed with isles crammed. It was 70 degrees outside. Inga was just sitting there in her locked kennel cage in the back of the truck.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
post #67 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 01:11 PM

I went on a bit of a road trip with my hubby one day and we brought our big-boy (we didn't have our gal-dog yet). He was a youngster and we didn't want to leave him home all day alone. I had to wait outside in the car with the dog while my hubby went indoors to do business. Although it wasn't hot out, the sun shining in through the windows started to make things uncomfortable. I rolled down the windows and hung some towels on the door to make shade. I then got comfy in the front passenger seat and read a book.

A nice lady comes by and sees my dog watching out the rear window for my hubby to come back out from the building. Of course she is concerned and starts talking to the dog as she crosses the parking lot toward our car. As she gets closer I move the towel over and say, "good afternoon, can I help you?" She jumped! Laughed and told me that she just wanted to check on the dog. I bet she felt silly.
CometDog likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #68 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 03:51 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post
Just to clarify one point, K-9's are left in cars during the shift. We check on them constantly. Our cars have heat alarms, temperature sensors and will page or call our cell phone if the interior temp goes off 85 degrees. The windows come down, a large fan kicks on and the lights and alarm go off. The system we use costs about $1500. Also our cars have radiator coolers and are designed to run all day. When I go to work, I never turn my car off. My car runs or idles for about 10 hours a day.

I have travelled extensively across the US with dogs in my car, in all kinds of weather. If I stop at a store I leave my personal car running with the doors locked. I do have fans running on batteries as a back up, temperature monitors in my personal car as well. I will also pop the hood or leave the hood up to vent heat from the engine. The biggest thing that I would worry about would be my car overheating. My Honda Odyssey has proven to be very reliable and barely burns any gas idling for hours. Again, I check on my dogs or bring them where I go.

Some one breaking into your car is a concern, most dogs can be easily stolen. Few dogs will put up a real fight. My female wouldn't bite anyone, my male is a completely different story. If you got him out of the car you would be wearing him like a fur coat and a trip to the hospital would be the next stop.

I would never leave a dog in a car with the windows up or even cracked unless it was very cool outside, like well under 60 degrees. Even then, I would have the windows down a few inches. I have vent visors on my windows so I can leave them down a few inches and rain will not come in. It also prevents some one from reaching in and trying to pet the dog and getting bit.
Do you have remote start on your Odyssey? My Pilot will not allow the doors to lock with a key inside while running.

An affordable and reliable temp alarm if anyone is interested..it gives you temp via text every 10 minutes. If it starts to approach your set threshold it alerts you every 1 minute. It is like 400 for first year because you get the gear too, subsequent annual cell fees are pretty affordable. I forget what they are..maybe hundred or less for the entire year. If it is something you do often for whatever reason, it is a worthy investment.

It is called animalarm .. www.animalarm.com

I bought mine here:

Critter Cozy - animalarm

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #69 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 04:23 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
Do you have remote start on your Odyssey? My Pilot will not allow the doors to lock with a key inside while running.

An affordable and reliable temp alarm if anyone is interested..it gives you temp via text every 10 minutes. If it starts to approach your set threshold it alerts you every 1 minute. It is like 400 for first year because you get the gear too, subsequent annual cell fees are pretty affordable. I forget what they are..maybe hundred or less for the entire year. If it is something you do often for whatever reason, it is a worthy investment.

It is called animalarm .. www.animalarm.com

I bought mine here:

Critter Cozy - animalarm
I bought an accuweather indoor/outdoor temp gauge from bass pro for $30 I think. It works pretty far, well, what I need from it during training and trial days.

Snitches get stitches.
post #70 of 81 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post

It is called animalarm .. HugeDomains.com - AnimalArm.com is for sale (Animal Arm)

I bought mine here:

Critter Cozy - animalarm
No, I do not have a remote start. I simply lock the driver's door manually with a key. I think I may be able to lock it with the remote as well, but I do not set the alarm. The dog's moving around inside would set the alarm off.

That animalarm is a good idea.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page