Rant and Rave - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Thank you Everyone,

I think you reiterated what I was thinking, but I appreciate it being confirmed.

I am by no means trying to absolve myself of responsibility - I believe my dog is 100% my responsibility and if something goes awol, like this, it's because of my failure. I can't even say I was mad at the woman after the fact, just very, very shaken up from being screamed at with such aggressive body language.

I will say, I was too late in asking Sitka to recall. As soon as I made it up to the road I called and he immediately returned, but I shouldn't have let him get near the unknown dog in the first place. His recall is at about 85% and he's 16 months old. I will definitely think twice about letting him off leash in an unfenced area again.

These labels of "aggressive" or "reactive" or "unsocialized" are such buzzwords in media, it's like people are looking to find dogs to attach them to.

It could have been worse, and I should use it as a learning opportunity. But ****, I've never been screamed at like that before! I'm just glad Sitka responded to my calm energy then and didn't react to the woman screaming in my face. As she screamed, he sat calmly and quietly at my feet while I apologized and offered my/to exchange information.
CometDog likes this.

"For creatures of the wild: those who ride, grow, protect, challenge, forage, and create.
For anyone inspired by owning as little as possible.
And for anyone who's touched ocean floor or mountain air and liked it."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SitkatheGSD View Post
It could have been worse, and I should use it as a learning opportunity. But ****, I've never been screamed at like that before! I'm just glad Sitka responded to my calm energy then and didn't react to the woman screaming in my face. As she screamed, he sat calmly and quietly at my feet while I apologized and offered my/to exchange information.
excellent point. This overwrought woman probably never gave it a second thought. If your dog was truly aggressive she was asking to get attacked, too. Just goes to show that when in a state of high emotion, people don't think straight.
CometDog and SitkatheGSD like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 12:15 PM
Elite Member

I'll bet a dollar to a donut the woman was alcohol fueled. Sure, she feared for her pets life but this is way overboard.

Whenever I take Inga someplace and other people and dogs show up I leash her until they leave. She is well trained but she is a dog! Not worth the chance of getting into a dog fight or biting someone.
SitkatheGSD likes this.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 03:45 PM

Sorry you experienced that!

My family has owned dogs all my life and I have experienced all sorts of behaviors. From my personal experience with poodles: it shouldn't have been let off the leash to begin with if the dog was that nervous and not trained to answer commands. Our poodle didn't develop her "confidence" well after she was 2 years old. She was a shy, babied fluff ball that would shiver at the sights of larger dogs/ cats. After her second year and being used being around all kinds of animals, she would even pick fights with our Dalmatian!

As a GSD owner, I have experienced my share of "your dog is aggressive" just because there might be a bark here and there or their hears would perk up at the sight of something new/ suspicious.
In all honesty I think there was no way for you to avoid such a situation since it really wasn't your dog's fault. It sounds like your pup was still in play mode when the poodle appeared and assumed it was another playmate.

Your reaction is commendable. I would have leashed my pup and probably blown a fuze right back at her. JMHO
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 10:02 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to gbeck
I am the animal control officer in the small town that I live in plus I have been a German Shepherd dog owner for over 26 years. Chalk this is up to experience and be mindful that with GSD's and other large breeds, we all have to kick up being responsible pet owners up a notch due to the breeds we own. Had your dog been another poodle perhaps this lady wouldn't have been so hysterical about the incident. There will always be the public perception that our breed of dog is more dangerous than others. That is unfortunate and I know from my professional experience in animal control for over 30 years, that some of our worst bites have never been from German Shepherds. Take a deep breath and relax. This too will pass!
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 11:17 PM

I agree with everyone here. Unfortunately for us GSD owners we have a breed that is on the "dangerous" list. No matter who starts the altercation, we will almost always get the blame. Many dog owners are unreasonable/unrealistic/irresponsible people who only see their dogs do no wrong. And this poodle owner is a perfect example of that. Don't give it another thought. You did nothing wrong. Your dog did nothing wrong. And this person who couldn't control herself and lashed out with obscenities and name calling was irrational and was in the moment. You seem like a sweet and kind and responsible dog owner, but next time, don't offer up your information right away. By doing so, you are admitting fault. Her dog was off leash too. And clearly her dog was not under her control if it was able to run away. A neighbor of mine went through something similar as you. She ended up going to small claims court because she was sued by the other dog owner. Long story short...the judge reluctantly ruled in favor of the plaintiff because my neighbor immediately after the incident offered to pay for the damage which meant that she admitted fault. The judge told her if she didn't offer the payments right away, the case would've been dismissed. The other owner bears responsibility for her dog being off leash and her dog being not under her "immediate control." And just because her smaller dog got the worst of the incident doesn't mean my neighbor's at fault.
CometDog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page