How does female heat works? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

My stray dog is outside dog. He stays outside, except for a short visits in the house, when he wants food. So backyard doors will be now closed all day, in opposite of being opened all day. And my girl will be all day inside with me.

As I posted recently, we have motocycle to drive around with both my dogs. So Im capable of taking her for a walks to a places, where are no dogs. Unfortunately it means, that Archie (stray dog male) will be now neglected. Because I can't see how could he drive/go on a walk with us.

Right now our schedule is: 2 hours afternoon walk in remote areas ( playing, swimming, training) + 10 minutes night walk in the village. So GSD girl will be getting only 2 hours and Archie will be getting only 10 minutes walks.

Of course all my plans will change once I get first experience with having a dog in the heat. My entire life we/I always had only males.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 01:45 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywhite View Post
First estrus generally occurs when an unspayed female dog is between six and 24 months old.[/I]"
Ah, okay. That doesn't mean that large breeds won't have a first heat until 24 months old, just that the first heat will occur somewhere in the 6 to 24 month range. I think Dena was around 8 months, Halo was close to a year, maybe 11 months. I don't remember with Cassidy and Sneaker.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18 *** Keefer 8/25/05
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 02:15 PM

Angel went into heat around 8 months old, her vulva was swollen a week be4 hand it was obvious. then she had spotting and i made sure she was on lock and key for the next month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 03:14 PM
Elite Member

Its coyotes that are after Inga when she's in heat. They leave their calling cards on the driveway. No off leash potty breaks at night for Inga!

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 05:54 PM

I just wanted to add that I had some females that came into heat three times a year. Anyone keeping a young, unspayed female should watch her carefully and see what's normal for her.
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 06:57 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRoberts View Post
I just wanted to add that I had some females that came into heat three times a year. Anyone keeping a young, unspayed female should watch her carefully and see what's normal for her.
I have an 8 year old female who came in heat 3 times a year up until this past year when she settled for two 6 week long heats. So yes there is no "normal". Again with that word I dislike. Lol.
Sunsilver and tim_s_adams like this.
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 07:39 PM
Mei
Master Member

So glad you started this thread! Mei will be six months VERY soon and we have NO idea what to expect lol.

No one has asked this question yet....and my wife asked me this too...

Can she wear a dog diaper during heat?

Ya, we're pretty clueless as well. Just been told to keep her in site at all times, and no social classes during. We plan on spaying her, still researching our options, after she has a heat cycle or two.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei View Post
Can she wear a dog diaper during heat?

Ya, we're pretty clueless as well. Just been told to keep her in site at all times, and no social classes during. We plan on spaying her, still researching our options, after she has a heat cycle or two.

Yes, she can wear a "sanitary product." The question is, will she?

I covered my floor with light-colored sheets and kept the dogs on them. As long as I was near they didn't mind. They were easy to launder and let me see literally, where they were along in the process.

Good Luck, and don't trust her.
Aly, Sabis mom and Sunsilver like this.
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 11:04 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRoberts View Post
Yes, she can wear a "sanitary product." The question is, will she?

I covered my floor with light-colored sheets and kept the dogs on them. As long as I was near they didn't mind. They were easy to launder and let me see literally, where they were along in the process.

Good Luck, and don't trust her.
@PRoberts I have a stack of old sheets specifically for this! Other people think I am crazy, but the diapers I found messy and none of my girls kept them on. I guess people do things that work for them, I have mostly laminate flooring so I drop the sheets over the few rugs and on Shadows loveseat and keep the mop handy. I have never had an issue and as you said it keeps things visible. Lol.

For those who want to use diapers, they do NOT prevent breeding! Seen a few with oops litters because owners thought they did.
Sunsilver and tim_s_adams like this.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 12:13 AM
Crowned Member

I keep bitches apart from dogs for the entire 3 weeks. Some bitches ovulate very early in the heat cycle. Others ovulate late. Usually the darker blood turns lighter around the time of ovulation. Usually dogs will change how they relate to her. At first they are just grooming her and checking her out. Then they will try to mount her. At some point, she will stand and flag her tail. That is called standing heat. Usually there is a three day window.

All bitches are different.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page