How much do your dogs sleep? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

How much do your dogs sleep?

How much do your dogs sleep? On most days Gandalf will get an hour walk in the morning and then an hour in the evening (throughout the week i'll throw in hikes through the woods, a swim once in a blue moon, and he has scent class once a week. And weekends we usually are out all day) He wakes up at 7am and I usually have to wake him up he doesn't get me up (hour walk) then sleeps from 9am-6pm (hour walk) then sleeps from 8pm-until morning. He is literally awake maybe 2-4 hours at most it feels like. He is only a year old but I feel like he sleeps as much as my old dog when he had cancer.. I can wake him up and he will be ready to go, activity levels are good when he is awake and he seems healthy otherwise! Is this just a good off switch or what? He has great drive, could chase the ball forever if I were to let him or keep hiking for hours, his stamina is good. I've just never heard of a dog this young sleeping SO much!

SQUIRREL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 08:08 PM

oh wow. Genali just takes "cat naps" and she is a light sleeper. I am preparing for surgery tomorrow, so I have been tip-toeing today so I could do my chores in peace, lol. This wasn't a planned surgery, it came up suddenly (with intense pain) and we have to deal with it NOW. Gonna be fun recovering from surgery with a pup in the house! Wanna trade for a few days?

It was worth it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 08:40 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheShepherd View Post
How much do your dogs sleep? On most days Gandalf will get an hour walk in the morning and then an hour in the evening (throughout the week i'll throw in hikes through the woods, a swim once in a blue moon, and he has scent class once a week. And weekends we usually are out all day) He wakes up at 7am and I usually have to wake him up he doesn't get me up (hour walk) then sleeps from 9am-6pm (hour walk) then sleeps from 8pm-until morning. He is literally awake maybe 2-4 hours at most it feels like. He is only a year old but I feel like he sleeps as much as my old dog when he had cancer.. I can wake him up and he will be ready to go, activity levels are good when he is awake and he seems healthy otherwise! Is this just a good off switch or what? He has great drive, could chase the ball forever if I were to let him or keep hiking for hours, his stamina is good. I've just never heard of a dog this young sleeping SO much!
Dogs are opportunistic in all things. That includes sleeping. Left to their own devices the average dog probably would sleep about 20 hours a day. They basically scavenge food, roll in gross things, pee on stuff, hump something, maybe wrestle a bit and then go back to sleep. If you want an eye opener, go watch feral dogs for a few days. They basically stay awake long enough to meet their needs.
WE have convinced ourselves they wish to be entertained. Domestic dogs will work all day if they need to but they certainly won't randomly say "hey I have nothing to do I think I will build a deck!"
Now there are some herding dogs who think they must stay on duty 24/7. Some hunting dogs that will screw off and hunt on their own. Some of our working breeds definitely can take things to extremes, but essentially a vast majority of dogs are content to fill hours by sleeping.
GSD's specifically often take their jobs seriously and since many are pets that means they follow us-the job-everywhere. And help where they can, whether we like it or not.
dogfaeries, Aly, Femfa and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genalis_mom View Post
oh wow. Genali just takes "cat naps" and she is a light sleeper. I am preparing for surgery tomorrow, so I have been tip-toeing today so I could do my chores in peace, lol. This wasn't a planned surgery, it came up suddenly (with intense pain) and we have to deal with it NOW. Gonna be fun recovering from surgery with a pup in the house! Wanna trade for a few days?
Aw Gandalf was like that too when he was Genalis age! It ends too fast he rarely even picks up toys anymore without me playing with him! Hope your surgery goes well !!!
Genalis_mom likes this.

SQUIRREL!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Sitka sleeps a ton!! He's 14 months old and spends 8+ hours alone at home -- I've recorded him and it's almost all sleeping! After a good walk in the evening and some play time, he's ready for another few hour snooze before bedtime.
GandalfTheShepherd likes this.

"For creatures of the wild: those who ride, grow, protect, challenge, forage, and create.
For anyone inspired by owning as little as possible.
And for anyone who's touched ocean floor or mountain air and liked it."
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 01:32 AM

Less than she would like to!

Of course she gets her 8 hours at night. But we spend 24/7 together, so during the day she takes every opportunity to sleep she can. Yesterday I was making fence around the house all day. And she of course had to see everything and follow me on every step. On the afternoon she was so tired (all day without nap), she was falling asleep while sitting and watching me working. Which was quiet funny to watch.
Aly and GandalfTheShepherd like this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 02:25 AM
Crowned Member

Quinnie sleeps for 3 hours. After three hours, she wakes up and plays with her toys.

Then she decides it is time to wake Susie up.

She brings me toys. I muffle something at her about going back to sleepies.

She brings me my slippers. (She knows I need them to let her go back outside.)

I then hear her rummaging about in the bathroom, and my mind starts to wake up and go into defense mode.

She brings me the toilet brush -- that gets me out of bed, and gets her outside in a hurry.

Why it is ALWAYS 3 hours, I have no clue. But for a full night's sleep, Quinnie has to stay in her area where she can go in and out. Bummer because I like to let her play with her toys. She cannot have them in her area, because then Joy will somehow manage to steal them, through the kennel. And once Joy has them, well, that is the end of them. Joy is a serial toy murderer.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Quinnie sleeps for 3 hours. After three hours, she wakes up and plays with her toys.

Then she decides it is time to wake Susie up.

She brings me toys. I muffle something at her about going back to sleepies.

She brings me my slippers. (She knows I need them to let her go back outside.)

I then hear her rummaging about in the bathroom, and my mind starts to wake up and go into defense mode.

She brings me the toilet brush -- that gets me out of bed, and gets her outside in a hurry.

Why it is ALWAYS 3 hours, I have no clue. But for a full night's sleep, Quinnie has to stay in her area where she can go in and out. Bummer because I like to let her play with her toys. She cannot have them in her area, because then Joy will somehow manage to steal them, through the kennel. And once Joy has them, well, that is the end of them. Joy is a serial toy murderer.
LOL too funny!!! How old is Quinnie?

SQUIRREL!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 11:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
LOL too funny!!! How old is Quinnie?
Quinnie turned 2 back in October. I would think she should sleep through the night by this age, but nope. Of course, you have to understand that my night is like from 3-4AM to 10:30-noonish. And the roosters across the way, are definitely on Quinnie's schedule, not mine.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 10:00 PM

Not long enough :d
tc68 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page