German Shepherds Forum banner

Does your dog/pup look like their siblings?

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  GandalfTheShepherd 
#1 ·
If you know what they look like, does your dog or pup look like their siblings as they have grown? Rollo came from a litter of 8 and two of his sisters look very similar to him but the other five siblings do not at all! Below is Rollo and two of his sisters Whitney(lying down) & Athena(being held)!

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: dogbyte
#3 ·
Haven't seen any of Gunny's siblings from his litter. But his full older sister looks similar to him, just more feminine head. My late Jaden, a huge black boy, looked nothing like the rest of his litter. Love your boy. Pretty siblings also.

#5 ·
Scarlet and her litter sister are identical. When they were younger and would take them out running in the woods, my breeder and I couldn’t tell them apart. Since getting older, Scarlet has gotten a black splotch on her thigh like her grandmother and her aunt. Her sister doesn’t have the “legacy “ mark as we call it.

#7 ·
I don’t keep in contact with many of Sawyer’s siblings at all - I believe maybe one or two others look similar to him, but most look a lot more WL like his mom. Sawyer definitely got a ton of the showline looks. ?

Here’s a picture of one of his siblings when she was younger vs sawyer (taken somewhat recently).

Attachments

#8 ·
I keep up with one of Trickster's litter mates here on the forum; he is sable and Trickster is black. They definitely have the same ears and headsets, but I think Trickster's head may be just a tad thicker.

Comparing behaviors and mannerisms has been interesting. Trickster has not yet had a fear period, and his sibling entered one a month or longer ago (they are a year old now). His sibling is more a cuddler than mine is, but mine seems to be mellower. The old argument of nature vs. nurture, and guessing who pulled what genes (their momma is black and sweet and daddy is sable and quite serious) can be speculated on.

Sorry, I feel weird posting a pic of someone else's baby, so I will pass on the show and tell. =)

#9 · (Edited)
After adopting Keystone, a few days later I was looking at the shelters website and spotted a girl that was identical to him - size, color, ears, approx age and markings....literally thought they had mistakingly left his photo up. I called to inquire about her and sure enough, she was one of many dogs confiscated from the same residence that Keys was previously liscensed to (it was a criminal case, he had been let out of a vehicle but the others were discovered later in the investigation). 99.99999% sure she was a littermate ;)

#10 ·
The only sibling I keep track off is Sitka' s oddball brother. He was born lighter than his littermates. Now they're similar. Bane lacks the dark mask that Sitka has. Bane has a much smaller saddle. Sitka has a lot of grey/tan fading into his saddle which is still most of his tail, up to his neck. Buildwise, I think Bane is thicker, and a bit chubbier. Sitka has always been leaner. If you put them side by side, I don't think anyone would guess they're siblings. They're parents are polar opposites in the color department. Dad was a very light black and tan, and mom is a very melanistic black and tan.

#18 ·
The dogs from my breeder are all very similar, especially within a litter. There's a dog I follow on Instagram who is from the same breeder as mine, and her male is literally a male version of my girl, yet they're years apart and I don't even think they share the same sire, just the same dam. One of the dogs that she held back from my litter is practically identical to my girl, too. It's crazy.

#21 ·
Gandalf and his sister Haven (lil miss behaving) look identical but all the other puppies were short hair. Gandalfs parents were also short haired, so he must have just gotten the recessive genes. Funny enough I did a simple punett square and the ratio was exactly what you might predict of puppies with long coats vs short coats.
First photo in the woods is Gandalf
Second is sister Haven
And third is a short haired brother (he had a lot of brothers, it was a huge litter!)
Note photos are not mine.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.