• 1 Post By Pytheis
  • 1 Post By RunShepherdRun
  • 1 Post By dogbyte
  • 1 Post By wolfy dog
  • 2 Post By dogbyte

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Prong collar in Germany

Can anyone please let me know if they know if I can use the prong collar in Germany. Iím planning to travel to Germany from Greece for vacation and the only thing I could find is that they donít allow electrical fence, anti-bark, collars with remote control.
If anybody knows 100% if itís illegal or legal please let me know because I donít want to have any problems i heard that they can take my dog away for me and I would die if that happened.
Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 09:22 PM
Master Member

I don't know the answer, but I'll bump the thread so hopefully some others see it.
tim_s_adams likes this.

Forrest - GSD 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 11:08 PM
Knighted Member

Laws change. To be 100% sure you need to get this info from the german government...

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 08:48 PM
Crowned Member

Look up any German kennel club.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 09:24 AM
Master Member

Yes, you can use a prong collar in Germany. The German Animal Welfare Law (Tierschutzgesetz) prohibits measures that cause significant pain, suffering, and damage to an animal. Thus it depends on how you use the prong collar. But the collar per se is allowed.
It is illegal in Switzerland and Austria though, with the exception of working police K9s.
German native here.
Lucifer-Hope likes this.

FKA RunSarahRun
Chip v. Dog Pound (border terrier), CGC
Elly v. Rescue (GSD, GSRNE 346), HI(C), CGC, TT
RIP: Feli, Iris, Dago (GSDs), Bubi (spitz), Tanja and Robin (mutts)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 11:54 AM
Elite Member

They are not cheap, but worth every penny. A Keeper Collar. Am using Rossi, the Dutch Shepeherd's, on Gunny. But he is out growing it fast so she is making Gunny one with an extra long "tug". the adjustable martingale part. And an extra long buckle part. I like the buckle on for safety and added adjustability. They conceal the prongs really nice, especially with a German Shepherds coat. Not as much correction as a regular prong, but love them.
wolfy dog likes this.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 05:30 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbyte View Post
They are not cheap, but worth every penny. A Keeper Collar. Am using Rossi, the Dutch Shepeherd's, on Gunny. But he is out growing it fast so she is making Gunny one with an extra long "tug". the adjustable martingale part. And an extra long buckle part. I like the buckle on for safety and added adjustability. They conceal the prongs really nice, especially with a German Shepherds coat. Not as much correction as a regular prong, but love them.
I ordered one and can't wait to try it out. Thanks for the tip!
dogbyte likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunShepherdRun View Post
Yes, you can use a prong collar in Germany. The German Animal Welfare Law (Tierschutzgesetz) prohibits measures that cause significant pain, suffering, and damage to an animal. Thus it depends on how you use the prong collar. But the collar per se is allowed.
It is illegal in Switzerland and Austria though, with the exception of working police K9s.
German native here.
Iím only using it because my dog after he got bit he got aggressive-scared with other dogs and I cannot control him without the prong. Me and my trainers are working on it but itís been 10 months and itís extremely hard in Greece because we have so many stray animals and obviously I cannot control them itís not that my dog is trying to attack them but heís barking and pulling me and if a dog comes near him he will just hide behind me and bark like crazy. Other than that we walk fine he will sit in a coffee place perfectly normal I can take him to shops ,trains everything basically.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 08:24 PM
Elite Member

Just make sure you have the prong collar backed up with a buckle on or martingale type also attached to the lead
Michael W and Evohog like this.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page