Big handsome 5 years old sable male looking for new home, Vancouver BC - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Big handsome 5 years old sable male looking for new home, Vancouver BC

Someone is selling a 5 years old sable male gsd, neutered, on a buy/sell online forum in Vancouver BC. I went to see him. He is very handsome, friendly to me and to my dog. He barked a little at first, once we got into their backyard, he was completely fine, interacting with me and playing with Timber. He looks healthy to me, nice teeth, running, jumping, and going up and down a stair without any issue. However, he seems over weight. He is much taller and bigger than Timber

Owner said they are too busy now and can't spend much time with the dog. They sounded they want someone to get him immediately. Hopefully he won't end up in SPCA or someone not experienced with gsd and may need to be rehomed again.

Any one here want to adopt this handsome big boy, pm me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	474642   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	474650   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	474658  
BucksMom and dogma13 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 09:38 PM
Elite Member

He is lovely! I hope he finds a good home
Timberdog likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 09:49 PM
Knighted Member

He is a beautiful dog! If I were closer I'd be arguing with myself about now...
Sunsilver and Timberdog like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 10:08 PM
Elite Member

What a handsome dog. I hope he finds a great new home. My husband would kill me if I brought home another GSD. Plus, we're very far away. Did I mention my husband would kill me...?
tim_s_adams likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
He is a beautiful dog! If I were closer I'd be arguing with myself about now...
If I don't have Timber, I would too
tim_s_adams likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 11:17 AM
Crowned Member

This is a dog that is for sale, by owner. This sounds like a sale, not a rescue.

All, please do not buy into or encourage others to buy into threats of what will happen if he's not sold quickly! The owner is control of what happens to him. If they're good people and love their dog, there's no urgency. If they're not, well....

That's a common emotional blackmail/fraud technique used by shady owners and their accomplices on the Internet to extract cash out of soft-hearted people -- "pay us or we'll do X [give him to a high-kill shelter, shoot him, turn him loose on a highway, whatever]." It's a very common ploy in my area, and it's a scam -- as soon as they get money for this threat, they get another dog and repeat the process with someone else and make a livelihood out of it. It's extremely common on CL, sometimes using a picture of dog in a bad circumstance (on a chain, in mud, etc.), or sometimes using a story of something sad going on with the owner, and when someone writes asking to help get the dog into a better situation, they get a "rehoming fee" demand of $500 immediately, or else a bad thing will happen to the dog.

The description of giving him to the SPCA if someone doesn't pay up to buy him quickly sounds like a version of this. After all, what's the real urgency here? My response would be: "At the SPCA, an appropriate rescue will be able to get him out and into good hands."

Last edited by Magwart; 01-23-2018 at 11:23 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 11:30 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I agree with Magwart: I moved it out rescue.

Did you inquire about the breeding or pedigree of this dog? If they bought the dog from a responsible breeder, they may have it in their contract that they must contact the breeder first before selling/re-homing/giving away their dog.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
This is a dog that is for sale, by owner. This sounds like a sale, not a rescue.

All, please do not buy into or encourage others to buy into threats of what will happen if he's not sold quickly! The owner is control of what happens to him. If they're good people and love their dog, there's no urgency. If they're not, well....

That's a common emotional blackmail/fraud technique used by shady owners and their accomplices on the Internet to extract cash out of soft-hearted people -- "pay us or we'll do X [give him to a high-kill shelter, shoot him, turn him loose on a highway, whatever]." It's a very common ploy in my area, and it's a scam -- as soon as they get money for this threat, they get another dog and repeat the process with someone else and make a livelihood out of it. It's extremely common on CL, sometimes using a picture of dog in a bad circumstance (on a chain, in mud, etc.), or sometimes using a story of something sad going on with the owner, and when someone writes asking to help get the dog into a better situation, they get a "rehoming fee" demand of $500 immediately, or else a bad thing will happen to the dog.

The description of giving him to the SPCA if someone doesn't pay up to buy him quickly sounds like a version of this. After all, what's the real urgency here? My response would be: "At the SPCA, an appropriate rescue will be able to get him out and into good hands."
Sorry, I didn't think of that this isn't a rescue, just want to spread the words so the dog will end up with a gsd lover. The owner didn't say he will take the dog to SPCA, but he did ask if I could take him immediately. I was just afraid he would do that because he seemed so urgent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
I agree with Magwart: I moved it out rescue.

Did you inquire about the breeding or pedigree of this dog? If they bought the dog from a responsible breeder, they may have it in their contract that they must contact the breeder first before selling/re-homing/giving away their dog.
I asked but the owner said he doesn't have paper and didn't say much about where the dog was obtained.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 03:04 PM
Elite Member

Quote:

Quote:

Yes we call that dog flipping round these parts. And this is exactly why shelters and rescues can seem so over the top in approving adopters. Any "rehoming fees" by private owners, especially of unpapered dogs, should be seriously scrutinized. Rescues and shelters charge 250 or so around here to cover the cost of operating. They vet and assess dogs before they go to a new home. There is no reason for a private owner to charge to rehome their "beloved" pet. Paying vet bills is a given for your pets, it is not overhead to keep saving more animals like the reason a rescue charges.

OP- I know you meant well. People who do these things prey on people with good hearts. Of course can't say for sure if this person you met is doing that, but it smacks of it. How much is he selling the dog for?

Valor 6/3/17
CGC BH AD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 03:23 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
There is no reason for a private owner to charge to rehome their "beloved" pet. Paying vet bills is a given for your pets, it is not overhead to keep saving more animals like the reason a rescue charges.

OP- I know you meant well. People who do these things prey on people with good hearts. Of course can't say for sure if this person you met is doing that, but it smacks of it. How much is he selling the dog for?
The OP met a nice dog and posted on a GSD forum b/c he felt for the dog. There is no link of FB page for it that outlines the threats that people use to dog flip. In fact dog flipping is usually dogs that were stolen OR rehomed for FREE.

I haven't done in awhile, but I used to go on kijiji and search for people who were rehoming their dogs for free or for $50 "the charge is b/c we want to make sure it goes to a good home"
Well, guess what...a $50 dog is pennies for those who find dogs to use for bait in dog fighting.

Free dogs are even more desirable for this reason. In tact and purebred, even better!!! I usually suggest they charge no less then $300.
I scared a woman so bad, she decided to keep her dog and thanked me for helping her realize just how important the dog was to her. She pulled the ad the same day

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page