Do you own a "Mal" and a GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Do you own a "Mal" and a GSD?

I'm contemplating adopting (i.e., "rescuing") a Belgian Malinois.

Depending on the "Mal", do you think it would, generally speaking, be a bad idea to adopt one into my home with a 9 year old spayed Female GSD who's a pretty "Delta" personality?

Since I have a lot of Malinois related questions, is there a newsgroup/forum that's as good as this group...but specific to the Malinois that you might suggest I join?

Thank you,
Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 06:09 PM

We've got a Mal. He's young, as is our GSD so I don't know how he would do with a 9 year old. I can say that they vary in personality just as much as anyone or any other dog. He's way more laid back than Minka and has been easier to raise so far. Didn't get nippy at all, picked up things a little easier. But when they play they play rough and he can definitely hold his own and he doesn't "burst" as much as her but he has more stamina and takes a lot more work to get tired.

I'd be glad to answer whatever I can. I'm part of a local working dog group, a lot of members own Mals and I've been around several so even though mine is more "relaxed" I've certainly seen some that are his polar opposite and I can ask them anything as well.

I don't know of any specific forums related to Mals, but there are a few good Facebook groups. I know, Facebook groups are always cringeworthy but there are some serious ones out there that boot the meme spewing nonsense related stuff and keep it very strict and serious.
Chip18 likes this.

Torden
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Whelp Date: Feb 11, 2018

Correct bad behavior, don't redirect. Redirecting is rewarding, not resolving.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 06:25 PM
Banned

Uh "Bailiff" is "the" "Mal" guy on here! As well as "Muskeg" she has a crap load of them! Heck I'd luv to have a Mal/GSD cross myself! Sounds like a pretty combo to me but to be far I don't always make good choices ... but I'm pretty good at learning to deal with "whatever??"
NerdicEclipse likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 06:30 PM
Elite Member

I think if you are careful about your choice of Mals, it could work fine.
I have a 6 y/o GSD and an 11 month old Mal. They are both male and while the GSD isn't exactly submissive, he isn't overly dominant either, so it works. My husband has an 8 y/o female Hanging Tree Cowdog, so I took all the personalities and temperaments into consideration before I put a deposit down on a male Mal. The Mal tends to be the most dominant acting dog of the three, in my opinion. You are welcome to PM me if you have specific questions.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

NerdicEclipse (or anyone else)...
I work 8 hours per day, but my Wife is home. She wouldn't train the dog or play with it, that would be my responsibility.

I'll ask you to "paint with a broad brush" here. If I adopted a Mal of maybe 3-4 years of age, would it behave long enough for me to get home and play/train with it or would it drive my Wife up a wall?

How "loveable" is a Mal -vs a GSD (which is a trait my Wife loves)?

Will the Mal sleep in the house, peacefully, for 8 hours? I do have a dog run, but I'd prefer to never contain the dog within it unless I have to.

Could I reasonably expect to adopt a healthy Mal or would it be like buying some used cars, i.e., I'm inheriting someone else's problems?

Craig
NerdicEclipse and tim_s_adams like this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHans-someBoy View Post
I have a 6 y/o GSD and an 11 month old Mal. They are both male and while the GSD isn't exactly submissive, he isn't overly dominant either, so it works. My husband has an 8 y/o female Hanging Tree Cowdog, so I took all the personalities and temperaments into consideration before I put a deposit down on a male Mal. The Mal tends to be the most dominant acting dog of the three, in my opinion. You are welcome to PM me if you have specific questions.

Thank you...let me ponder that offer.

Craig
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have a 6 y/o GSD and an 11 month old Mal. They are both male and while the GSD isn't exactly submissive, he isn't overly dominant either, so it works. My husband has an 8 y/o female, so I took all the personalities and temperaments into consideration before I put a deposit down on a male Mal. The Mal tends to be the most dominant acting dog of the three, in my opinion. You are welcome to PM me if you have specific questions.
Ok I gotta ask what exactly is a Hanging Tree Cowdog??? ,
Aly, Nigel and NerdicEclipse like this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Caughlin View Post
NerdicEclipse (or anyone else)...
I work 8 hours per day, but my Wife is home. She wouldn't train the dog or play with it, that would be my responsibility.

I'll ask you to "paint with a broad brush" here. If I adopted a Mal of maybe 3-4 years of age, would it behave long enough for me to get home and play/train with it or would it drive my Wife up a wall?

How "loveable" is a Mal -vs a GSD (which is a trait my Wife loves)?

Will the Mal sleep in the house, peacefully, for 8 hours? I do have a dog run, but I'd prefer to never contain the dog within it unless I have to.

Could I reasonably expect to adopt a healthy Mal or would it be like buying some used cars, i.e., I'm inheriting someone else's problems?

Craig
Once you get into a routine I would say it should be fine. But here's the thing - with a Mal just like a GSD, you need to work it mentally and physically or you have the potential for a very destructive force. Assuming you get into a routine with him and he gets proper mental and physical exercise I would say he'd be fine. The 8 hours with your wife would be his down time. I work just like everyone else and my dogs are completely fine but they also get several hours with me between playtime and training. Naturally things happen and we miss a day here and there and nothing bad happens, but you'd want to be fairly consistent. These are after all working dogs, not pets. So they need to have a purpose beyond fetch and vegging out in the house. If they get bored they WILL find a way to entertain themselves and I promise it'll probably be something you or your wife won't like

My Mal is just as affectionate as my GSD. He loves to be with us. Me, my wife, and my kids. The folks in our local club all seem to have great relationships as well. Now that doesn't mean that they are all cuddly and want to be handled a lot, but they're not standoffish in my experience and are very loyal. But this also goes hand in hand with work and activity. These dogs need a job to be happy. If you give them that and work with them regularly they will be very happy and content. So I'd suggest looking into lots of trick training, IPO work, agility, obedience competitions or what have you. It's not just something people say, they really do need it. Again, neither breed is the type (large brush again, I'm sure it varies) to just be fine with an hour of fetch and then just lounging. They need mental stimulation just as much as physical so they need to be directly engaged and for a notable amount of time daily.

Yes they will, with a caveat. Make sure they get tired. If you work them properly and give them busy "up time" they'll be worn smooth out and will rest fine. Be proactive with training and teach them "place" if you don't like to crate/kennel/run them. Place is a life saver. I tell my dogs to go to place and they stay there until released regardless of what's going on, if I stay with them or how full of energy they are. If you can't directly observe the dog and have not worked it, I'd teach it place or contain it somehow though. But that's just me. Because again, if they're full of energy and bored there's always the risk they'll entertain themselves if they're not trained for place or contained.

You can absolutely adopt a healthy Mal. There are Mal specific rescues and I've come across several online needing rehomed because frankly, people get the dogs just like GSDs and don't realize they are workers, not pets. They find out the dog is more than they can manage with their lifestyle and it needs a home. You can always ask for vet records and talk to them about where they got the animal. But if they can't point out a specific breeder that you can check with I'd avoid it. A badly bred backyard dog can be a nightmare. Proper breeders tend to know what they're doing and they don't pass on bad genetics. Bad genetics can affect everything from health to a dog literally being crazy. So find a dog you can trace if you want to be as safe as possible or find a breeder that's had a good dog returned. Because again, most reputable breeders actually want the dog/puppy back if it ever needs rehomed for something like incompatibility. But in my opinion when you find one, start with massive amounts of structure in the home. Honestly it doesn't need to free roam AT ALL until you get into a routine, figure out it's activity needs and get it trained.
Chip18 and tim_s_adams like this.

Torden
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Whelp Date: Feb 11, 2018

Correct bad behavior, don't redirect. Redirecting is rewarding, not resolving.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 07:32 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Quote:
I have a 6 y/o GSD and an 11 month old Mal. They are both male and while the GSD isn't exactly submissive, he isn't overly dominant either, so it works. My husband has an 8 y/o female, so I took all the personalities and temperaments into consideration before I put a deposit down on a male Mal. The Mal tends to be the most dominant acting dog of the three, in my opinion. You are welcome to PM me if you have specific questions.
Ok I gotta ask what exactly is a Hanging Tree Cowdog??? ,
The short answer so I don't derail the OPs thread too much is...the guy who developed the breed wanted the "ultimate" cowdog, so they are 1/2 border collie and the rest of their make up is catahoula leopard, kelpie and Australian shepherd. They are bred and trained to hit both the head and the heel of the cow. Ours is a drivey, but very nice dog.
Chip18 and NerdicEclipse like this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 07:37 PM
Elite Member

Contact the Malinois Ranch Rescue. I love that group. They have their rescues in fosters so they really know the dogs. Just helped do my first transport for them. Jada went from the ranch in Tennessee to her furever home in Utah. Super organized transport. They will be honest about their dogs. Just be honest on your dog, time you have. I have. Wild 4 year old Dutch shepherd and a 5 month old GSD. I am retired. They meet through the kid gate until his canines are gone. Would also advise going to Leerburg.com and read about pack structure and introducing dogs. I love Mals and Dutch. But as high drive as my Rossi is, at my age, one is enough. But they will tell you the true temperament of their dogs.
Chip18 likes this.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart

Last edited by dogbyte; 11-27-2017 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page