Someone is stalking my DOG!!! - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 144Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 10:01 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly View Post
I call them 'ghetto locks' because they're not really locks per se. . It's just a length of rebar cut to fit into the trench/channel/space at the bottom where the door slides back and forth. Pop the rebar in the trench/channel/space and, voila!, door won't open.

Welcome.
You can also use a 1 by 2 piece of wood, Home Depot sells them for less than 2 bucks, and it's easier to cut to length!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 10:09 AM
Aly
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
You can also use a 1 by 2 piece of wood, Home Depot sells them for less than 2 bucks, and it's easier to cut to length!
I'm a girl. I never have to cut wood....

tim_s_adams likes this.
post #43 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 10:36 AM
Elite Member

Just to offer an experience yrs ago concerning possible parent reaction. Had a neighborhood kid who was friends w/my son (about the age of 12/13 yrs old. The kid was always getting into trouble and we were the last house in the neighborhood who allowed him in the yard. Felt bad for the kid. Son seemed to be the only friend.

We caught him red handed trying to jimmy our slider door open. The bar was the only thing that stopped him. I called his mother and told her what we caught him doing. Her response was "I'm sure he was just making sure the doors were locked so no one could get in"

After that convo, we made it clear that he was not allowed in the yard nor my son to hang around him. Parent called back to discuss our decision. We stood firm. Don't know what she said to her son but his actions got ugly after that. Kid went after my son with vengeance. Police had to get involved but they already knew the kid.

Call the police as stated by others. They will log it inand keep on file. Be careful what you do say to parents. . As said, keep your dog out of the conversation. Don't even allude that he could be hurt by your dog. Get an "in training" harness if you don't have one. Use that he is in training and can't be approached. Period end of story.

Even if the teen is challenged in some way, the guardians (parents) of that teen are responsible for his behavior in the community and the expectation of that behavior can't be lowered to the degree of disruption that you are experiencing. I also would not bring this up at a neighborhood event, but watch and listen to the conversations of them ano how they act around the teen if he is there. It will probably give your husband a clue as to the neighborhoods general attitude of him.
Aly, GatorBytes, wolfy dog and 3 others like this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsilver View Post
Cheffjapman, he has Asperger's syndrome, which is on the autism spectrum. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome
That is what my brain immediately went to. I used to work as a counselor and primarily worked with kids on the spectrum.

That's why I think it would be best to talk to the parent first. Be blunt and tell them that the behavior is making you uncomfortable. I mean, don't be rude, but don't beat around the bush either. Some parents enable their kids and some try to help their kids cope and overcome. Hopefully, they are the latter type (if he is on the spectrum).

2 GSD's - General and Arrow
post #45 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 12:09 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheShepherd View Post
What are you getting at? He is a puppy, he gets amped up by excited kids. I can't think of a single puppy who doesn't. By excited I mean he sits with his butt on the ground and his tail wags about a mile a minute. I am trying to teach him to be completely NEUTRAL as he was purchased for SD work. He isn't rude, he NEVER jumps and he is overall a great puppy! I post a lot about the issues we have here so I know what I need to work on, I think he is a very normal pup. He has a very high drive but we channel it through training, a ball is a great tool for training. His recall is normally 99% great, he recalls off the butts of deer, off birds, off squirrels and cats, but he screwed up once and blew it on a poodle that had been taunting him. He is a very friendly dog and gets along great with people, kids, and loves his little kitty! Thanks.
I was just asking a question. No need to get defensive. The few service dog candidates I've seen were different. That's all. Could hardly describe them as you are describing your puppy.

Snitches get stitches.
post #46 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 12:40 PM
Crowned Member

OP, do you know if they have guns? I would ask about that if you talk to them. Check them out on line. Too many crazy stories out there.
post #47 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 01:40 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly View Post
I call them 'ghetto locks' because they're not really locks per se. . It's just a length of rebar cut to fit into the trench/channel/space at the bottom where the door slides back and forth. Pop the rebar in the trench/channel/space and, voila!, door won't open.

Welcome.
We use 1"x1" wood cut to length. Even cut down broom stick handles work. Anything that fits in the channel and won't get bounced out.
angelas, Aly and tim_s_adams like this.

Lynn & Traveler
post #48 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 03:06 PM

Who cares if the kid has disabilities or whatever is wrong with him. Who cares about the parents. Call the police. End of story.

He's engaging in criminal behavior by stalking your family, destroying your property, and invading your private property. He clearly has a temper, and I would worry about a break-in at this point. If he has mental issues, then that's his parents' responsibility to handle and it's clear they are not. His mental issues are not YOUR responsibility.

Sure, you could be nicer about it than I'm suggesting, but I have zero tolerance for any invasion/destruction of my property or threats to my/my family's safety.

Just remember what the police are always telling you: see something, say something.
post #49 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 03:54 PM
Crowned Member

Dogs are considered an attractive nuisance, and yes, I was a kid that was very attracted to everyone's dogs. But I was too shy to actually go up and ask to pet them or stalk them. Etc. The lady on the corner had a bunch of kids and the oldest was my age and my best friend. But her home was the hub of kid activity. I did go over one day and before knocking on the door, I started to play with her Newfoundland and his bone, like we would with my grandmother's dachshund and his slipper. I still have the scar. I never told.

My older brother is probably on that Asperger's scale, though never tested, and his wife was downright anti-social, and they had 1 boy. Consider that, both parents with social problems raising a singleton. My sisters and I all knew the kid was on the Autism scale, but it wasn't until there was a stupid fight, -- my brother's kid hit a kid with a piece of wire sleeving that smashed his science project, and the other kid beat the heck out of him. A piece of wire sleeving is kind of like a wimpy straw, it is NOT a weapon, and they had to go all the way back to 1st grade to get any disciplinary anything on my nephew, but they expelled him anyway. The other kid was a repeat offender, but knew enough about what not to say. And my brother had to jump through hoops to get him through the rest of the school year -- home schooling for a while, then he had to see a psychologist/psychiatrist, etc. My brother was surprised that they found he did have Asperger's. Really we knew it from the time the kid was maybe 2 or 3.

Folks are sometimes blind when it comes to their own kid. My brother's kid was about 13 or 14 when this happened. He is very smart, and really a good kid. Eagle Scout. Had 2 years of College behind him when he finished high school and was valedictorian. Full scholarship, and will soon be a chemical Engineer. The kid in the scenario is probably further on the scale or has some other issues.

The question is how to approach the parents. Because yes, you do want to give them an opportunity to solve a problem before making a police report. You can't really say, "Howdy, we're your new neighbors, and we would like to talk to you about your son. Is he developmentally disabled?"

I think what you do, is you be very straight-forward with them. "Hi, we are new to the neighborhood, and we are having a bit of a problem, and we would like to discuss it with you before we go any farther."

Then I would say exactly what is happening. The boy really seems to like your dog, but you would rather him not follow you, amp the dog up, or come to your house and peer into the windows calling the dog's name.

Now if the parents then tell you he has some problems, that is fine. All the better, you can ask them what you might do differently to improve the situation. Hopefully, they will thank you for bringing this to their attention. Let them know that it is dangerous for your dog and their kid -- if the dog were to go through the window, for instance. The dog is not viscious in anyway, but he might do something if he felt the house was being robbed, etc. He is only a dog. The dog can't determine your son's age nor disability if there is one.

You can go straight to the police, but I would want to know if my kid was doing this first, and have an opportunity to address the problem before authorities are called.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #50 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 04:07 PM
Crowned Member

I like the idea of talking to the parents and then going to the police-at least you are giving them the opportunity to address the behavior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page