Vacuum Suggestions - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Vacuum Suggestions

So this little bugger sheds alot. As all of you are GSD owners, i'm sure you all experience the same.

I need a suggestion on a good vacuum cleaner. I have a hard wood floor, so please take that into consideration.

So far, I've been using a cheap $50 vacuum, but the massive amount of hair just clogs the vacuum opening and I have to dig that out every 3 minutes during use. I need a vacuum cleaner that is STRONG, doesn't CLOG, and of good quality.

If it's good, then budget doesn't matter. I mean within reason of course. I'm not gonna shell out $500 for a **** vacuum cleaner. But within the $300 $200 area, if you say it's good, I will take your advice.

Cordless or not doesn't matter, but corded vacuums are usually stronger, no?

Anyways, suggestions welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	456834   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	456842  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 01:50 AM

OK, here's my 2 cents. With hardwood floors, why not just do a quick sweep-up, then simply vacuum as a final step to catch any remaining hairs? Pretty much any vacuum could handle that.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred Shih Tzu - Chrissy
mixed Maltese/Scottish Terrier - Bubba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
purebred Toy Poodle - Freeway
purebred Toy Poodle - Benji
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 02:22 AM
Elite Member

I'd say "sucking it up" is the wrong strategy in your situation. I use this,

https://www.bunnings.com.au/rubberma...y-mop_p4480225

a rubbermaid microfibre spray mop. Its, quick and easy cleaning, and I'm happy with the results.
car2ner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 08:14 AM

If you want a good vacuum get dyson. Ones made for hardfloors OR just the one made for animals specially. Im so so so happy with it.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 08:22 AM

I hear that the Shark is very good. And Bissell has come out with a new Pet Hair vac that converts from a stand up to a more mobile type that you can use on stairs.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 10:26 AM

I highly recommend the Shark Navigator. That vacuum has been a workhorse for us and is half the price of a Dyson and works just as well IMHO. I think I paid $130 for ours when it was on sale at Costco. You can also use a 20% off coupon from Bed Bath and Beyond and buy it there as well. I think they are normally in the $150 to $180 range.
Findlay likes this.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 11:03 AM
Crowned Member

I have both a Dyson Animal and a Shark Navigator Professional Lift-Away. I think the Shark Navigator cleans at least as well as the Dyson (and maybe better), is easier to use, and is a better value. I got both at Costco. I have come to think the Dyson is over-priced compared to the Shark. I used to be pretty happy with the Dyson, but over time, I've slowly become less enchanted. It works and does what it's supposed to--I'm just not convinced it's worth the extra money, having used the Shark.

I use both on a combination of hardwood floors and rugs, in a multi-dog home where we have A LOT of fur. I have 3-4 GSDs in the home at minimum, depending on my foster dog situation. It takes us about 3 full canisters of fur to completely clean the floors. My dogs' fur defeated an older generation of Roomba. I've been "fired" as a client by at least one cleaning lady over the amount of shedding during blow-out season -- I mention that to convey my vacuums have to work hard. We're not playing here when we say it has to handle dog hair!

The one important thing with any vac on hardwoods is to remember to TURN OFF the rotary beater so that it doesn't scratch the floor with embedded dirt. Periodically pulse it on to force the dog hair through when collecting large clumps of it.

Dysons seem to me to be not all that well made, have plastic parts that break over time (one cleaning lady has caused the plastic pedal to lean it back to get screwed up -- we could fix it with a screwdriver, but still!). I haven't had the Shark as long as the Dyson, so it hasn't been subjected to the years of use (and abuse) yet.

I hate the hose on the Dyson. It's badly designed, too short, and just awful to use. The Shark is much easier to use to dust blinds or pull fur off a sofa.

If you belong to Costco, get a Shark there, use it and if you hate it return it because that's perfectly fine under their return policy. I think you'll be glad to have saved several hundred bucks over the Dyson.

Last edited by Magwart; 11-04-2017 at 11:17 AM.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 11:31 AM
Crowned Member

BTW, the one Dyson product I still love is their hand vac. I use that little thing all the time.

They now sell the same hand-vac base as the V6 with the long stick-broom attachment (which mine didn't come with), but the genius of the tiny base is that it's a perfectly sized hand vac with just a crevice attachment. It's strong enough to clean the car too (and yes, mine is full of dog fur too).

Once when it was raining, I wanted to brush a dog inside because she had tufts falling off and was looking raggedy...so I did, and DH kept walking by with the hand vac and sucking up what I was pulling off the dog, and dumping the dust cup. It handled the job. I also use that little hand vac to clean the AC/furnace air return (which sucks up fur and then traps dust in the fur, so the grate needs frequent attention).

The hand vac is the one Dyson I would not live without.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 03:33 PM
Knighted Member

We also have hardwood. My wife was always buying Dyson, shark, all of the vacuums advertised for pet hair. After her $350.00 Dyson quit again I bought in my smaller 8 gallon shop vac so she could vacuum. She liked it so much that she asked me to get her one of those instead of an upright. Now she can run it every other day and our house is good.

Athena BH, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-04-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

thank you for the replies/suggestsions.

i was mostly looking into the Dyson models but they were on the pricey side so wanted some first hand experiences. And reading some of your responses pretty much confirmed my worries, that I could be shelling out ~$300 for a device that could fall short of my expectations.

I will look into the shark models. Yes I'm a costco member, I will look into that.

About the dry mop routine.

As of right now, my cleaning routine goes as follows. Vacuum the whole house, and THEN go through again with a dry mop, and finish up with a wet mop. I use the mop pretty much like what Dunkirk mentioned, so it's not a one-time use disposable mop. Which means, if I just go with the dry mop first before using the vacuum, I have to clean and dust off the mop after every little area. It gets very tedious and inefficient, which is why I have to vacuum first. If I had unlimited supply of 1-time use, disposable mop like a swiffer, that will change things but i don't. and the cost can add up.

Anyways, thx for your suggestions, I will go read some online reviews on Sharks.
az_girl likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in