Neighbors' GSDs being nuisances and killing wildlife and cats in area - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By WateryTart
  • 1 Post By Jenny720

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Neighbors' GSDs being nuisances and killing wildlife and cats in area

Hi everyone! Long time lurker; First time poster. ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ

A friend came to me with this issue and I thought to ask here if there were any solutions to this problem.

There are renters next to my friend's father's property and they own two GSDs. These dogs, from what they told me, have zero training and management. They run around the neighborhood and are harassing and killing cats and wildlife in the area. The other day they injured a raccoon and her father couldn't do anything about it and instead had to sit there and watch it suffer in pain until it finally passed away from it's wounds.
The area my friend's father lives in is kind of up in the mountains/forest area where a lot of wildlife enjoy living (birds, deer, etc). There are also feral and outdoor pet cats but...that's another issue for another time.

These neighbors are extremely rude and aggressive people, and so he's been very wary of confronting them about this issue. He also hasn't contacted animal control yet because he does not want to see the dogs put down.
The shelter in his county is no-kill, but I feel like because these dogs have a track record for killing other animals they may end up being put down.
There are also no GSD specific rescues in my state that we can contact.

We're really concerned because these dogs may end up hurting one of the kids in the area by accident. And then at that point it's a definitive 'game over' for the dogs.

And so I was wondering if there was another possible solution that doesn't result in the dogs being destroyed? It's not their fault, and if it's possible, they should not have to suffer that punishment due to human negligence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 10:28 AM

I would think a non emergency call to the local police would be the first step and to just explain the situation and concerns for safety if you don't feel you can have a rationale conversation with neighbors.

Red and Tan GSD Leo 4 years old
Sewickley, PA
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 10:28 AM
Knighted Member

There simply may not be a good outcome for the dogs, unfortunately, but I would bring animal control or law enforcement before a child is hurt, not after. At least contact them and find out what the options are.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 10:44 AM
Master Member

I'd call animal control. I understand not wanting them to get put down, but it's unfair to the other animals getting killed by them. Along with that if they are attacking wildlife, especially raccoons there's a rabies risk there.

And it's possible if they get taken by animal control the owners won't pay to get them out so they can go to a home that will properly manage them. Many shelters will adopt our other animal aggressive dogs, it's human bites they most often get put down at. Alsoif you have other neighbors who are getting tired of them it's possible they might decide to do something about the dogs and that could be much worse than anything that will happen to them with AC.

Extra bit: There's a dog at large ticket in my area. If the owners get one or two of them they may start keeping track of their dogs better or find a new home for them themselves since they probably wouldn't want to pay the fine.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for your responses! I appreciate it.

I felt the same way: It's just not fair to the wildlife that lives in the area to have to continue putting up with this. And we would hate to see a child get injured too. I love GSDs and I just hate it when owners of these dogs are like this and give the breed a bad name.
I'll pass this information on and hopefully we can find a positive solution for these dogs!

Thanks again!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 08:46 AM
Crowned Member

I would see if you can speak to neighbors first to see if they are capable of keeping their dogs in. If not it looks like you have no choice to call animal control. We live on a dead end we have to walk through woods to to the other side of the neighborhood. To walk in the neighborhood. I have to walk by this one house on the other side of the dead end where the guy sometimes lets his dog loose. I walk on the opposite side of the street when passing this particular house. The dog I think must of charged us over 4 times already. With the owner outside watching and having no control of their dog. We keep going but I told him my dog does not like other dogs. It still did not ring any bells. One time the dog came screeching out of the yard in the street blocking our path. the guy stands their like he his enjoying this. Max not pulling but the leash slips out of my hand as why as was wanting to keep distance and get more on the side of the road and max took off chasing the dog right back into his yard. I called max over to me and he came right away. The guy had turned white and still scraming to chase his dog as he we just walked away and watched. It was a stupid thing that happened and not a smart one. So if you have no luck from the owner sometimes calling animal control is the safest and best in the long run for all- is my point. We had a neighbors dog kill a cat once it. I know animal control was called but they did not take the dog as this was what I was told.
bkernan likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 10-27-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page