Chasing our Cats - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Chasing our Cats

Hey guys!

Varian is very good with our sphynxes and only wants to lick them. He does go after them chasing wise if Sylvanas gets him riled up.

Sylvanas though. She Chase's and wants to play, and bites and scratches and generally is very rough with them. The cats were here first so the puppies grew up with them. We don't know how to stop her from hyper focusing and giving chase. We have tried distractions. Letting her sniff them (holding the cats while she inspects them), but she always wants to bite/chew on them.

Now our cats aren't very good defenders, and won't ever hit her with claws. Plus she will roll them and generally make it hard for them to escape should she get them! It doesn't matter how much we wear her out, she will stare at them for hours if they are safely in their cat tree.

We do put her in her kennel when she is out of bounds with them, but then she loses her ever loving mind at them, and has to be covered completely so she can't see them.

Varian just needs a firm "leave it" when he tries to play with the cats when they are playful and he'll back down.

How do we get Sylvanas to live peacefully with the cats?!
Stangbait likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 02:03 PM

The dog should not be allowed to take one step towards the cats period. If she does, she gets a correction up to e-collar. A dog that stares at the cats for that long has some definite prey drive issues and I would not trust her to be alone with the cats, ever. That's what our breeder told us to do, as we have two cats and are bringing a pup home next weekend. (So take my advice with a grain of salt, since I'm a noobie.)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 02:14 PM

I will be watching this thread with great interest!

We have been doing cat training with Jaeger for 7 months and have tried three different trainers to help with this issue. She started at a level 10 intensity and is maybe down to a level 8 intensity after all this time. Citronella spray does not deter her, prong collar correction does not deter her, shock collar correction does not deter her, and treat praise for every time she looks away from the cats works only as long as there are treats. It also doesn't help that our cats are wusses and do not stand up to her.

We're still hopeful though and train almost every day to try and achieve peace in our household!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_girl View Post
The dog should not be allowed to take one step towards the cats period. If she does, she gets a correction up to e-collar. A dog that stares at the cats for that long has some definite prey drive issues and I would not trust her to be alone with the cats, ever. That's what our breeder told us to do, as we have two cats and are bringing a pup home next weekend. (So take my advice with a grain of salt, since I'm a noobie.[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.germanshepherds.com//forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG])
Any physical correction does not work with her. We have issues with her thinking she is the boss. Water, citronella, a sharp leash correction, various training tools do not work. Her prey drive is strong.

Varian will look at the cats if they're playing and try to play too. He sometimes steps on them out of being a big dork who hasn't learned to control his limbs (he just turned a year and still is in that awkward phase of life lmao).

It's frustrating, as I've own shepherds, and sure they may try to you know herd the cats, kids, you, etc. But generally you can get their attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangbait View Post

We have been doing cat training with Jaeger for 7 months and have tried three different trainers to help with this issue. She started at a level 10 intensity and is maybe down to a level 8 intensity after all this time. Citronella spray does not deter her, prong collar correction does not deter her, shock collar correction does not deter her, and treat praise for every time she looks away from the cats works only as long as there are treats. It also doesn't help that our cats are wusses and do not stand up to her.

We're still hopeful though and train almost every day to try and achieve peace in our household!
Yes that's our issue! She'll be a year come Halloween. Currently both dogs are crated except for outside exercise because she's in heat and we DONT want puppies. Poor Varian, she's such a flirt.

I do notice she gets really rough with him, and has gotten him on the nose. Once again it's a dominance thing. When she does she gets corrected immediately and the playing has to stop for a bit.

He eats first, usually with us since he's a very submissive boy and lives to hear "smart boy! Good boy!" And I can calm him down with "make cuddles not war!" Because he's a snuggle butt, and I've been saying that since he was a baby to help him calm down to nap when he was younger.

I'm worried we may have to give her to an experienced single dog owner, because she just is very...well very dominate. She has no recall despite all the recall games we've played. Varian always comes back, sometimes I need a sharp tone if he's carried away.

I know it sounds like favoritise him, he is "my" dog and my service dog. While she is my wife's dog. That being said Sylvanas has no respect for us. She'll crap in the house because she doesnt give a hoot (she knows she just has to let us know and we take her out immediately). Training has been so, so trying.

Don't get me wrong, Varian is flawed too. Being disabled he isn't as far along in training as I'd like. But he catches on quickly, and once she's out of season and his brains come back he's in for some doggy boot camp.

If you tell her no she'll bite at you, well snap at the air. She doesn't bite us, except in carried away play, which we help and say ow gentle! The things she WANTS to do she does well. But only if you bribe her.

But those **** cats. I won't give up our cats, and I don't want to give up on her! Would putting a cage muzzle on her help? I mean she still has giant clompers of feet (she's in the awkward phase of life too). Though, if we do muzzle her she acts all submissive and sorry. So we take it off after some time and she goes right back at it! Ugh. Strong willed dog? Yes!

If we get her spayed a bit early would it help our cause?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 04:54 PM

Leerburg has put out a .pdf on introducing dogs to cats. While his methods may be sharp/harsh, it may be worth looking in to. I pray we do not have this issue as I love my cats dearly and have always had cats in the home. I wish you only the best of luck and hope others have some good insight as well!

Here's the link...Leerburg | Introducing Dogs or Puppies into Homes with Cats
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 05:47 PM
Master Member

I think you need to find a good trainer with GSD experience. Sounds like your female needs stronger leadership and clear boundaries. She has learned she can ignore you and get away with it. Spaying is unlikely to change anything. She doesn't sound dominant, she sounds like a spoiled brat who gets to call all the shots.
az_girl and tim_s_adams like this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessaandvarian View Post
[...]
She has no recall despite all the recall games we've played.
[...]
That being said Sylvanas has no respect for us. She'll crap in the house because she doesnt give a hoot (she knows she just has to let us know and we take her out immediately). Training has been so, so trying.
[...]
If we get her spayed a bit early would it help our cause?
Your case sounds a lot more difficult than ours in that Jaeger is great with everything else. She has amazing recall and has never had a single accident and is a sweet snugglebug. You could try having a trainer come to your home for a private session to help you with all the other obedience, or send her to a board & train. Private training has really helped us just as general dog owners, it might help you guys out too? Just be prepared to spend $$ for a private session with a trainer experienced with willful GSDs.

We had our girl spayed at 2.5 years (a little after we adopted her) and it didn't seem to make a difference in her personality. She was a sweetie during her heat though, just generally lying on her back next to us whining, not moody at all.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangbait View Post

Hmm, three different trainers you say??? So much much for "Find a Trainer."

No competent qualified trainer, that could actually help you, would recommend a "Prong Collar" for addressing this issue??? And most likely fewer still could use an "E-Collar" successfully to address dogs that live with cats??? Still as it happens on here, there is "Bailiff!"

It was an unrelated topic but he had a pretty interesting take on "Behavior Modification" with an E-Collar. I kinda figured one big hit and problem solved?? But "Bailiff" had mentioned something otherwise?? It was something I took note of but as E-Collars are not my thing ... I lost track of it ... my bad there.

I used to say "I am not an expert" gets old ... But on Cat v Dog issues yesss, I'm pretty good! Up to 8 cats and five dogs living together and over 15 years, and never a single cat dog incident! My dogs don't even perceive cats on walks??? I would see them first and I would look at "Rocky" and he saw, nothing??? Cats were not prey, so you know nothing to see here???

In any case to archive that, the rule was simple and there is only one rule in Cat v Dog relationships. "The Dog Never Chases The Cats!" Period end of story. That rule always worked out fine with my personnel, hand picked puppies! Rocky my first GSD (foster fail) at seven months just decided that screwing with this guys cat's??? Is not a goal worth pursuing, "I got bigger fish to fry" so no issues with him and cats.

But apparently I( had always had "Cat annoyer's??" And the prime directive was simple enough ... "don't chase the cat's ever" problem solved. But if one is in the habit of "rescuing random strays and bringing them home to a household full of cats??? Sooner or later they will come across a potential "Cat Killer???" And then it's time to decide:

And I don't dial 911, no prong, no E-Collar, I still used my perfed tool of chose a SSL. It's usually used as a rapier but this time it was employed as a "Broad Axe" to enforce the number number one rule! Don't chase the freaking cats dogs! Squash that crap hard fast and now and then get on with training! I don't play! Details on that approach sigh can be found here. :
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/8491081-post2.html

It's all there, but for the long winded process of how I dealt with a potential "Cat Killer" click on that thread . For those with "Cat Annoyers" click the link at the end. The Principles are still the same and still only one rule, the dog never chases the cat!

The principles are still the same! Lower the dogs energy i regards to the cats, I don't concern myself with the cats. Once the cats understand this beast is under control, they will make themselves know! No free roaming for the dog and use a drag leash, train Place and call it a day. My cat's don't need to change how they live in there house because, I decide to bring in some random stray??? It's the dogs job to conform to acceptable behavior! And we don't proceed until that is understand, once that is "Clearly Understood" we can proceed to "Training."
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 10:42 AM
Elite Member

So what do you do if the dog doesn't chase because the cat doesn't run but he still pesters her? Our dog really loves the cat... he follows her literally everywhere 24/7. The cat sometimes enjoys the attention and will head butt him... but sometimes I'm not so sure she likes it. Shes very vocal and constantly meows even when he's not touching her. She's a feisty thing that likes to taunt and tease the dog sometimes... I feel like it goes both ways. He is always play bowing to her and bringing her his toys. Is this a healthy relationship or should we be intervening and giving the cat some space away from the dog? She does have her very own room that he can't enter so she can get away if she needs to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5119_1509028831816.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	454946   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5118_1509028863572.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	454954   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4878_1509028919648.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	454962  
Stangbait likes this.

SQUIRREL!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 11:07 AM

E collars are not allowed in my country and I tried resorting to anything that would stop chasing. Nothing works. Horrible. My dog is almost 2 years old and the cat is 3. Constant rough playing, chasing, nosing, mouthing the cat. He (the cat) can escape if he wants, we bought a cat tree and also put a cat flap onto one the room doors where the cat hides if he wants some privacy. But it would be looooovely if I could stop chasing and rough playing. the moment these two get in the same room the fun starts...
The cat is Bengal tho and seems to enjoy playing with the dog (well most of the time). However, it really gets on my nerves and no matter how harsh my corrections were, it didn't work.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page