Flat canines, how does that happen? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Question Flat canines, how does that happen?

hi all, I just rescued a GSD (story is here), and his top canines look like this on both sides (see attached pic). I'm taking him to the vet soon, but would like to know what to expect. thx!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heros Incisors.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	454770  

Jigs | Co-Founder of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| CEO at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 09:35 AM
Aly
Master Member

IME, it comes from chewing objects that are too hard. I realize that you've just gotten the dog, so I'd select somewhat softer toys in future. You might want to keep an eye on things because some dogs may show later damage to the tooth, beyond the 'flattening' that you can see in the picture (e.g., small fractures, etc).
herojig likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly View Post
IME, it comes from chewing objects that are too hard. I realize that you've just gotten the dog, so I'd select somewhat softer toys in future. You might want to keep an eye on things because some dogs may show later damage to the tooth, beyond the 'flattening' that you can see in the picture (e.g., small fractures, etc).
Thx so much Aly, I thought he might be a victim of some strange type of dog abuse (filing of teeth). Funny, he's been in the house for 24 hours now, and has not attempted to chew a thing. But I guess he is about 6,7,or 8 years old at least, so perhaps the wear was from his younger days...either that, or he is waiting until he is all alone in the flat.

Jigs | Co-Founder of
| CEO at
|

Last edited by herojig; 10-25-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 10:03 AM
Crowned Member

Even tennis balls can wear teeth down.
herojig likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 10:06 AM
Aly
Master Member

You're welcome. I'd say the likelihood of his teeth having been filed is pretty remote (think horses, not zebras ), and more likely a consequence of serious chewing during his younger days --- possibly when the enamel and/or tooth itself wasn't fully developed. It's not uncommon. I'd still keep an eye/nose on things to make sure nothing else develops later. By 'nose,' I mean that I find that a dog's breath (good vs. foul) is a good indicator of things going well vs. wrong. Post pics of your new guy!
herojig likes this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 10:07 AM
Aly
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Even tennis balls can wear teeth down.
Yup! I'd forgotten about that.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 10:22 AM
Crowned Member

Even good quality balls/toys can cause wear with an active chewer. My girl will carry stuff around and mouth at it, this constant action will cause wear over time, sometimes significant. I think there is a genetic component as well.
herojig likes this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:03 AM

My 1st gsd wore her teeth down to nubs by the time she hit old age. She was nuts about hauling logs & trees for that matter. She never seemed to suffer from it.
The teeth in pic do look flatter than regular wear. Curious to hear what the vets says about that--maybe it's just the pics, or maybe your dog is a rock chewer.
herojig likes this.

SONIC--Dominican Street Collie aka 100% Unknown Fibers
All of my other dogs were GSD's, sadly missed, moving forward

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 03:54 PM

Catching Spinning frisbees, my pup has the start of flat top canines.
herojig likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 06:00 PM
Crowned Member

Once a pup is passed teething, no more recreational chew toys to save the pearly whites in this house. I try to solve boredom by play and work. When we do have the occasional visitor to the house, I give her a bully stick, which isn't hard on her teeth. She is on a raw diet so she can satisfy her chewing desires with that.
herojig likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page