Dog friendly sofas? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Dog friendly sofas?

So with kids and animals (2GSDs, 2 cats) our sofas are in dire need of replacing. I am wondering what kind of sofas other dog owners are using. I?m thinking leather might be a good choice because the fur would wipe off if needed. I don?t let the dogs on the couch, but sometimes I catch them cheating when I?m not around. And the cats pretty much do what they want. What works for you all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 04:11 PM
Elite Member

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my leather sofas. They wipe down easily. Dog hair doesn't cling to them. They don't pick up any doggy odor.

Just need to maintain them with leather conditioner periodically.
sebrench likes this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 04:29 PM
Knighted Member

Make SURE you get good quality leather!! Cheap leather (bonded leather) will rip easily with normal use.

Look for leather that is either full grain (the strongest) or top grain.

https://bestleather.org/types-of-leather/
car2ner, sebrench and CometDog like this.

Last edited by Sunsilver; 10-24-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 05:14 PM
Elite Member

Ha, used sofas from the rich people garage sales.

Snitches get stitches.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 05:24 PM

We have microfiber and they hold up well to our kids and animals. They are Simmons brand, which is really pretty affordable. Got a love seat, couch and rocking recliner for less than $1500.
sebrench likes this.

2 GSD's - General and Arrow
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 05:25 PM

2 GSD's - General and Arrow
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 06:16 PM
Crowned Member

This is a great thread. I have fitted slip covers on one couch works great but they are actually in for repair from puppy damage. To get new slip covers probably cost more then the couch. It is nice you can wash them. I do prefer the leather couches worried they would scratch but can imagine the upkeep much easier. That leather site was helpful.
sebrench likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 07:07 PM

my leather love seat is getting a good worn leather look to it, (thanks to my gal dog and her muddy paws). I clean and condition it with Old English furniture polish. We also have a velvety-ish couch that is looking a little dirty from all the years. It is holding up very well but will need a slip cover eventually to cover the dirtiness.

Sunsilver has it right. You have to get good leather. No shopping at a discount store for that. A yard sale might just be the way to go. Keep your eyes open for someone moving who doesn't want to take their furniture with them.
sebrench likes this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 07:27 PM
Crowned Member

Yes I can imagine these good leather couches are real pricey.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 07:31 PM

Agreed! Leather sofas are FANTASTIC. We purchased ours in December 2013 and it looks as good now as it did then. We use Weiman leather cleaner/conditioner every week or two, and any scratches buff right out. When the dogs are on the sofas, we use blankets or, my favorite, dark blue thick fleecy pads we purchased from https://piggybedspreads.com/product/piggy-bedspreads/. I know it sounds stupid, but I kid you not... They are wonderful. They're actually liners for guinea pig cages, but they're big and waterproof and they wash and wear beautifully. They make great crate pads, too, and don't get bunched up like blankets do.

Photos posted below were taken just now (Great Dane) and last week. We have big dogs (Dane, 6-month-old GSD, and until a few months ago a Hungarian Kuvasz - rest in peace, sweet bear) and we *love* the way this leather has aged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171024_191659.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	454642   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171024_191327.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	454650  
sebrench, Femfa and KaiserAus like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page