Opinions on clubs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rei

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Opinions on clubs?

So im getting my pup next spring, and i was already considering training a bit in protection and obedience, so figured i might as well throw scent work in there too, it seems fun and it will open up ipo1 as a potential milestone for the future. Though the title itself isnt of much importance compared to bonding with my pup and learning what makes her tick and being on completely the same page as her while having a fun time learning new things, I was planning on doing it with the help of a professional trainer (iron mountain k9). ANYYYWAYS after researching this stuff a bit alot of people are telling me i need to join a club. so leads to my question...

What are your opinions on clubs? I might have the wrong idea about them but I'm worried they may be pretty elitist, and that mixed with the fact that im relatively young may lead to a weird/negative experience for me trying to break into the world? Of course i realize im looking way to much into things, especially with the age haha its just the only photos ive seen regarding ipo type things include mostly older folks, all carharted up like my grandpa when he would go hunting. again i realize im looking too much into it, and im sure it varies from club to club. but for those of you interested in training and have dealt with clubs before what are your opinions/stories on them?

Also is it appropriate to call a club and ask really basic questions like "how does this work/how can i be apart of this club?" i feel like that would look bad on me.
lastly, do you have to be apart of a club to compete for your ipo/bh/cgc ect?

Last edited by RoninByDesign; 10-21-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 05:51 PM
Knighted Member

Yes call local clubs and talk to whomever is in charge. Ask any questions you have. Ask to come audit for a couple training sessions. Age or inexperience won't play a matter. However commitment and work ethic will.

Athena BH, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 06:32 PM
Rei
Elite Member

@RoninByDesign it sounds like we live in the same area, I have heard a lot of first hand experiences regarding the trainer you are working with and would be happy to talk privately about other options in the area.

To answer your original question, I have had an excellent experience with the IPO club I'm a part of and the members have been nothing but welcoming. They have been supportive and gone out of their way to help me succeed even though many of them train professionally and have multiple titles under their belt. I am younger too, 24 years old (younger when I first started spending time with the club), but age has never been an issue. We have quite a few members in the club in their 20's and 30's, and like cdwoodcox said, it's not so much age that matters but commitment and work ethic. That said, not all clubs will be the right fit for you and that's okay, don't let that discourage you.

Some clubs will have information on their website or social media site regarding visits and how to become a member, please read that thoroughly. It's also good to have an idea of what your goals are, what type of commitment you can make to the sport, and how you'll go about attaining those goals. A club will likely be instrumental to your progress in the sport, but you need to also have your own game plan and the access to resources that will help you move forward with your dog.
onyx'girl likes this.

- Grace

"Trash" Bite Risk vom Feuergarten BH HCT-s CGCA TKN (GSD)
"Siege" Zala IPO1 (Malinois)

"Trent" (GSD) 2009- 2019; The beginning of everything
"Legion" (Malinois) 2010 - 2018; My brightest star
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwoodcox View Post
Yes call local clubs and talk to whomever is in charge. Ask any questions you have. Ask to come audit for a couple training sessions. Age or inexperience won't play a matter. However commitment and work ethic will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
@RoninByDesign it sounds like we live in the same area, I have heard a lot of first hand experiences regarding the trainer you are working with and would be happy to talk privately about other options in the area.

To answer your original question, I have had an excellent experience with the IPO club I'm a part of and the members have been nothing but welcoming. They have been supportive and gone out of their way to help me succeed even though many of them train professionally and have multiple titles under their belt. I am younger too, 24 years old (younger when I first started spending time with the club), but age has never been an issue. We have quite a few members in the club in their 20's and 30's, and like cdwoodcox said, it's not so much age that matters but commitment and work ethic. That said, not all clubs will be the right fit for you and that's okay, don't let that discourage you.

Some clubs will have information on their website or social media site regarding visits and how to become a member, please read that thoroughly. It's also good to have an idea of what your goals are, what type of commitment you can make to the sport, and how you'll go about attaining those goals. A club will likely be instrumental to your progress in the sport, but you need to also have your own game plan and the access to resources that will help you move forward with your dog.

thanks to both of you for the info, and like i said to Rei in PM i'm obviously very new to all of this sport and the tradition and culture that comes with it, it's all a bit intimidating, thanks for being patient with the answers. This whole board has been pretty patient and friendly which i appreciate.

edit: and cdwood for sure the work ethic thing is understandable, If i join a club i will for sure take it very serious and pay my dues. I can understand they dont wan't people hanging around who just like the idea of a club/training, I don't plan to half step this if i do it. Im just worried about making myself look foolish and burning a bridge or something

Last edited by RoninByDesign; 10-21-2017 at 08:09 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 08:54 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninByDesign View Post
If i join a club i will for sure take it very serious and pay my dues. I can understand they dont wan't people hanging around who just like the idea of a club/training, I don't plan to half step this if i do it. Im just worried about making myself look foolish and burning a bridge or something
The main thing for newbies to do is listen, ask questions for better understanding of the 'why's' and try to help out wherever possible. I believe most clubs are very generous in sharing knowledge, and accepting new people who are the future to the sport.

Don't feel judged or intimidated. Everyone had to start somewhere, everyone was a newbie!

Enjoy the journey, before you know it, you will have retired your first dog and transitioned to the next partner.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 09:06 PM
Crowned Member

Expect people to be polite and like talking about dogs, but only to a point. The amount of people who pass through saying they want to "do" IPO only to vanish in a couple of weeks is probably 80%.

Doc

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

seriously thanks for all the replies yall, ima take it all in and do more research and call around and think on what i really want while waiting for my pup so if i do it im not one of the 80% who just disappears. I appreciate all the insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page