How much did you pay for your German Shepherd? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

How much did you pay for your German Shepherd?

Just wondering how much you guys paid for your dog and tell me a bit about the dog. I think it will be interesting thread.

I paid $400 for my long hair german shepherd on craigslist when he was 1 year old.

The owner said they were moving and the new landlord did not allow dogs in the house and he had to get rid of it which seemed to be true as when the guy was placing the dog in my car you could see he was holding down tears. Honestly it has been the best $400 i ever spent i absolutely love this dog dog.

I was actually looking at buying a German shepherd puppy for $500 before i got my dog and the lady that was going to sell it to me ended up giving the puppy away to her family member instead of me literally few hours before i was suppose to pick it up. I was heartbroken but it turned out to be a great thing because i got this dog that was already potty trained and he is still fairly young and full of energy. I have not had any health issues and he has not been allergic to anything so far. Also he is extremely friendly with people and with dogs (a bit too friendly when he sees another dog and on leash he will bark and jump up trying to get to the other dog so he can play with it i am working on this with him). He is also extremely smart and very very easy to train.
SitkatheGSD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 09:06 AM

what anyone paid for their dog depends on quite a few things. A Show Line generally costs more than a Working Line. A good breeder charges $$$$ because to run a kennel responsibly is not cheap. A breeder who only charges a few hundred is either doing a One and Done litter or aren't really taking good care of the dogs. Charging a few hundred to rehome a dog is not a bad idea, it might limit the possible adopters to those who have enough money to care for those dogs and tends to eliminate impulsive adopters. But in life there are no guarantees.

Make sure to micro-chip your dog. Sometimes the great dogs are stolen and sold. That is surely not your case but having up to date information on a chip can make a difference if there is ever a dispute.
RZZNSTR, voodoolamb and Femfa like this.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 10:39 AM

I paid $1800 and drove about a day each way for our GSD. He was 8.5 weeks and sable. We were far more concerned with finding a breeder that met all our requirements more than cost or location (within reason). Our breeder is a veterinarian who has been involved with GSD’s most her life. She only has 1-2 litters a year and a pretty stringent contract and such.

He came microchipped and with a health guarantee for his hips that included a full refund/free additional dog if at 2 years he has medium or severe displaysia. I would consider him a show line as his parents do conformation, however she is also incredibly active in all other competitions with her GSD’s as well (agility, herding, etc).

She has 1-2 litters a year and also goes above and beyond with allll sorts of health testing. If for some reason I ever can’t keep him, I have to return him to her and she will take him for no fee. I.e. he can never go to a shelter.

I could go on - but overall I’m very happy with our pup. He’s 5 months now and an absolutely amazing dog in temperament and appearance. He fetches a ball as actively as my old lab, and as smart as imaginable. Very strong, but manageable drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 11:56 AM

I bought Sitka when he was 4 months old; he is 1/4 American Show line and 3/4 Working Line. Generally the breeder sells pups for $1400 but Sitka was $1000 (CDN) - he has a white patch on his nose from a scratch from a littermate, was the smallest male, and was, as a young pup, very cautious of strangers (not weak nerved, but not eager to meet perspective buyers once he realized his bros/sisters disappeared with these strangers!

When I met him he came over to my feet and rolled on his back for belly scratches... and was promptly sat on by his brother vying for attention!

He's came with all his vaccs, CKC registered, tattooed with lifetime health and temperament guarantee, and lifetime breeder support.. and a very detailed non-breeding contract.

He's 8 months now and everything I wanted in a dog! Friendly but cautious of strangers, friendly with other dogs, protective of me, happy go lucky outdoors and perfectly chill inside on lazy days

Name:  21912858_10159330700680076_805040711_n.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  67.8 KB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171008_132912.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	454026  
Stormy and RZZNSTR like this.

"For creatures of the wild: those who ride, grow, protect, challenge, forage, and create.
For anyone inspired by owning as little as possible.
And for anyone who's touched ocean floor or mountain air and liked it."
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 06:32 PM
Crowned Member

Shadow was free.
The vet bills in the first year totalled over 8500 and have continued to keep my credit card maxed for the last 7 years. At one point I sold my car to pay for a test she needed.
It would have been much less expensive to pay 1800 up front.
griz, LeoRose and tim_s_adams like this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Shadow was free.
The vet bills in the first year totalled over 8500 and have continued to keep my credit card maxed for the last 7 years. At one point I sold my car to pay for a test she needed.
Am SO glad we have unlimited health insurance for our dogs.

Glen
Focus On Newfoundland
Sabis mom likes this.

OUR DOGS:
purebred GSD - Sheba
purebred Shih Tzu - Chrissy
mixed Maltese/Scottish Terrier - Bubba
purebred GSD - Chrissy
purebred Toy Poodle - Freeway
purebred Toy Poodle - Benji
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 07:25 PM
Master Member

This thing cost me $3.

April 23. 2012 010 edit by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr

I went to the laundry with dirty clothes. I came home with clean clothes and the half dead puppy that was wandering the parking lot.

Ehh... maybe she was worth it.

2017-1-20 Leo Birthday DSC_0455 by Rosemary Elwell, on Flickr
czgsd, dogfaeries, Aly and 6 others like this.

Lily: ETD PKD-T ADP-L5/CH ADP-L1(Pr) CNSD
Leo: U-CA ETD PKD-T D-CRO-Preliminary S-ADP-L5/CH S-ADP-L1(Pr) S-ADP-L2(Pr) CNSD
Ilka: BN RE CA CGC TKP ETD PKD-T CRO-1 NCO-1 S-ADP-L4 D-CRO-Preliminary (2009-2017) RIP

Last edited by LeoRose; 10-21-2017 at 07:31 PM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 07:26 PM

Xena was free. My puppy doesn't have papers or anything like that and I'm okay with that. The breeder gave one to my brother to be trained as a service dog and Xena came along with him. I've brought 2 kennels 2nd hand and free dog house and lots of kisses and nips. She's stubborn, active, and funny. The only thing I'd change is less biting and I wish she would have stayed with her mommy longer.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 07:48 PM

I bought 2 long haired gsd's for 600$ and gave 1 to my in-laws as a gift. 2 years later, I adopted my new sable pup, offered to pay and the lady was just happy to see him go with a caring family and didn't charge me a dime. We love them so much. They are a blast!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
car2ner likes this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Shadow was free.

That was our thought this go-round purchasing a dog with a strong pedigree and history of testing on his parents and further down the line.

I had a chocolate lab for 13 years prior to my GSD. Being young and 16 when getting him, his background wasn’t the best. His hips got bad younger than they should have. With a modified lifestyle and some affordable meds, it wasn’t too bad. Even then - outside of routine yearly shots, I bet in his 13 years he never cost us more than $1500 in medical bills.

My hope with our GSD (that was 4x as much as that lab) is that hopefully he will be able to be more active into his older years, but Hey, our lab made it happily to 13 still, which is a blessing for any large breed dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page