Another pit bull attack... fed up - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 25Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Another pit bull attack... fed up

Hello all,
This is the second time within a month that my dog and I have been attacked by a pit bull...(two different pits seperate times) my pup has been sick and is weak and no shape to defend himself... what can I do to protect him? I also socialized my boy his entire puppyhood, he loves other dogs and doesn't have a mean bone in his body, I'm afraid for his sake he is a sitting duck he's only 9 months old now. Frankly I'm sick and tired of pit bulls... two attacked my 20 year old kitty a few years back and this is now two in a row on Gandalf. I'm thankful to be able to say both times Gandalf has not been seriously injuried. I've tried changing my walking route, we even moved to a new neighborhood... this is now the only route I can walk Gandalf without having to drive somewhere. We were walking on the public paved trail when the pit escaped under the fence, the owner thankfully was near by... it started off staring and then crouched slowly and moved towards us... then it charged. It knocked Gandalf to the ground and he rolled belly up, just as it went for his throat the owner and I pulled it off him, its teeth snapped in mid air. I don't know how to get rid of this dog on our route... am I legally allowed to shoot it if it tried this again? I want to poison it I am so fearful...I called animal services they won't do anything unless the dog is running free, it stays in its yard unless another dog walks by... I'm so afraid of Gandalf becoming fearful of other dogs because of these attacks or worse killed...
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

SQUIRREL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 07:13 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
I called animal services they won't do anything unless the dog is running free, it stays in its yard unless another dog walks by.
You need to be a little more vocal with them. The dog was running free when it attacked yours. Don't accept anything less then them coming out and explaining to the owner his responsibility to contain his dog.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 07:37 PM
Crowned Member

Did you report it to animal control? That would be my first step. AC should also be able to tell you what you are legally allowed to do to defend your dog.

When I lived in FL we were sometimes stalked by free roaming dogs. Once I got away by throwing rocks at them (this was an area that there would be no repercussions for doing that---a neighborhood might not be that way)

Once my old male shepherd saved the day by threatening off a loose dog when I failed to defend us. Once I was being stalked by two dogs and I kept turning back and yelling at them and they would pause and then resume stalking. it was scary. I thought we were in trouble. Luckily some guy drove by and pulled his truck in between us and scared the dogs off with his truck.

Spray shield helps with smaller, less motivated dogs. i might consider carrying a wooden cane or something with a rounded, rubber tip that you might use to jab off a charging dog without doing lethal damage to it.
GandalfTheShepherd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 07:39 PM

Get a can of bear mace. I assume if it would thwart a bear attack, it should stop a dog. The legal impact on you discharging that versus a firearm makes it more viable, imo. Plus, you don?t want to accidentally shoot your dog. GL
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 07:41 PM
Crowned Member

I believe some people have had luck with air horns.

But I think most important is to report it to animal control---they can actually take action and if there has to be a history before they take action, you need to start the paper trail.

Woops I see you called AC already. If I were you, I'd be more persistent. It can escape. You need to make it clear to them that the dog can and does escape its yard. Ask them to come and watch it happen, then at least they could seize the dog when it gets out. Video it getting out with a spare person to help protect your dog?

Last edited by Thecowboysgirl; 10-14-2017 at 07:44 PM.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 08:01 PM
Banned

Yeah been there do that but the pits, I've always stopped but I messed up once and came across a dog under unforgivable circumstances for me! I can't see in the dark???

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...og-attack.html

And now a days ... I advise people to carry a walking stick, to block the dog, advise I'd given ...but never followed ... my bad. But following my own advise worked out like this. For me a week or two later. :

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-but-time.html

Advise I'd given but never followed (the walking stick) that and a well trained are your best defense. My dogs do "Nothing" when we come under threat by a dog and they, let "Daddy Deal" with it. I can't protect my dogs and deal with a threat at the same time and I don't need to.

And as for what others do ...
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ile-leash.html

Sorry your dog got attacked, in any case.

Last edited by Chip18; 10-14-2017 at 08:11 PM.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 08:10 PM
Administrator

MODERATOR WARNING:

Pitbulls are a banned topic on this forum.
voodoolamb likes this.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
MODERATOR WARNING:

Pitbulls are a banned topic on this forum.
Relatively new member here, re-title the thread to "I was attacked by a Breed that shall not be mentioned" perhaps??? Just a thought.
wolfy dog likes this.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 08:21 PM
Crowned Member

Welcome to my world Gandalf.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 08:22 PM
Crowned Member

I think the OP didn't mean to trash "this breed" but only mentioned it as info. What if a Spaniel, a Presa, a Dogo had attacked his dog? Could this be mentioned then? I think we should be able to identify a breed and as soon as it leads to drama and bashing breeds, close the thread. My 2 cents.
Nigel and GandalfTheShepherd like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page