Saluki with GSD ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Saluki with GSD ?

No, I am not going to cross breed these
I am offered to (maybe) "get" a 7 month old Saluki male from lines I have always admired and I know, have met and trust the breeders and several dogs from these lines (racing and show). My question: does anyone here have experience with having both breeds at the same time and share how this goes/went? I have had Whippets in the past and I know the sight hounds, just not with having had a Saluki myself. He is in Europe and seems to have a confident personality. Deja is good with male dogs and a bitch with females.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 10-10-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 04:50 PM

I’m massively jealous.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 05:03 PM
Elite Member

Wolfy,

There is a guy on this list that lives Down Under and seems to know all about this breed.
[email protected]

For the life of me I'm brain dead and can't place his name- John B something- but I'm pretty sure he is the list owner or moderator.

Maybe someone on this list knows who I'm talking about?

Lynn & Traveler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 08:07 PM
Crowned Member

off topic but saw a video of one running last night so cool they can run fast...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

They are generally aloof and independent. Whippets were originally created by breeding Greyhounds with Terriers and I think that makes them more spunky. Generally speaking Salukis do guard and you don't mess with their owners as a stranger. They are endurance runners unlike Whippets who are sprinters and give up a chase easier than a Saluki. They are opposite of GSDs but I also love these qualities; not caring to which room you go or what you open up, not worshiping you, not leaving their beds when you come home etc. The European Salukis are not as refined as the American lines and look more like the original type. Most do show and course, not such a divide as in the GSDs.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 08:50 AM
Aly
Master Member

Longtime sighthound person here! I think it's great that you know the breed. Even by sighthound standards of independence/indifference, salukis (and afghans) are/can be quite different. Not quite the biddable companion that a GSD is. When I lived in CA, I knew (and frequently visited) a breeder who bred IWs and kept salukis --- for contrast apparently. The ones I saw were well-integrated into the pack and everyone seemed to get along fine. Beautiful animals, but none of the ones I saw at that kennel (or at shows, for that matter) were the least bit interested in visitors or, indeed, protective. Even the puppies. Perhaps it varies by line as it sometimes does with IWs. A final thought: IME the way sighthound brains seem to work and how they are with their people is very different than other breeds, especially GSDs. Now, I quite like the difference, but some folks don't. Oh, you might want to join a Saluki list and see what responses are to the possible combination. (I always find it interesting to find what other breeds/mixes breed aficianados keep). Finally, you probably know this already, but it bears repeating: Unless you're coursing the dog, never let them off lead. Recall is just a theory.

We'll need pictures of course...

Aly
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 10:16 AM

We have had Borzois with German Shepherds, but never owned a Saluki. They got along fine and never fought, even female to female, but I wouldn't say they were best buddies, not like 2 Shepherds. They did play together, but of course, the Borzois would run circles around the Shepherds, literally.

They are very different dogs, both very smart, but in different ways. The Borzois were much more sneaky and conniving, I guess you would say. Rules are meant to be broken and it's their job to find how to do that.

For example, our male was lying on the couch while a friend was eating a bowl of macaroni and cheese. The phone rang and the friend got up to answer, leaving the bowl of food on the coffee table.

When he got back, he felt something wasn't right, but nothing seemed to have been disturbed. He thought if he dog had gotten into his food, there would be nothing left, so he grabbed the bowl and started to eat again. Then he looked at the dog. Pippin had a noodle sitting right on the top of the end of his nose, looking completely innocent.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 10:41 AM

I'm waiting with bated breath for pictures. Must admit I'm thinking this dog must be gorgeous.

SONIC--Dominican Street Collie aka 100% Unknown Fibers
All of my other dogs were GSD's, sadly missed, moving forward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 12:55 PM
Crowned Member

Saluki are beautiful I also like borzois, Scottish deerhounds and irishbwolfhounds all classy and striking dogs. They seem to bring the past to the present! Not sure photos do them any justice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jenny720; 10-11-2017 at 12:59 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Update: breeder told me that the dog had recovered from some growth issues and had limped for some time due to too much food (no official diagnoses)with the previous owner. He was honest and upfront about it. I decided not to proceed and he understood. Maybe if I had lived in the same area for a trial but decided it was too much risk as Deja is a strong player and I am not getting a second dog to keep them separated. Bummer, but rather safe than sorry. I love the fact that he breeds for stronger boned dogs than what you see in the US. There will be another opportunity someday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page