• 1 Post By Castlemaid
  • 1 Post By Magwart
  • 1 Post By Chst4698

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Breed restriction

Hi All,

Iím Laurie, a Canadian neighbour.

My husband and I had been planning to leave the country for Arizona this fall, and we just found out that pretty much all rv parks have breed restrictions.

If I could find a place that will allow my girlie in the Phoenix area I would be so happy.

Does anyone know where a GSD can stay long term?

Cheers,
Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 08:47 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Hi, I edited your subject line. The GSD is not a Bully Breed, and this forum has banned Pit Bull discussions due to the arguments they always create.

Thank you.
Lauries likes this.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 09:47 PM
Crowned Member

Try contacting the local German Shepherd Rescue -- many of us keep lists of apartment complexes we know are breed-friendly.
Lauries likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 10:09 PM

To be honest, I would follow the don?t ask, don?t tell policy. Most breed restrictions are a result of insurance providers anyways. If asked you can always say your dog is an Alsatian mixed with a Berger Allemand. You wouldn?t be lying. Unless your dog was causing problems I doubt you would be hassled at any RV Park. Another option may be camping inside a federal park. I don?t think there are any breed restrictions there.
Lauries likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 11:38 PM
Crowned Member

So, is this about GSDs or the 'other breed'?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 08:13 AM

some of these restrictions are based on size as well.

you could check a site like RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks
i contribute to that site and I find it is pretty good resource

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Create an account on Airbnb and start searching, and also look at Vrbo.com .

You need to do a little more research ahead of time, since Airbnb/Vrbo rentals aren't standardized in the way that established RV Parks are. Sometimes you share bathrooms, or kitchen space, with the owner or other renter. Other times you will receive a lockbox code by email, and you arrive, stay, depart, and never even see another person for the entire trip.

Since each one is managed by an independent owner, the pet policies are highly variable. I've used both of these websites to find rentals that allow multiple large breed dogs.... but you do need to be flexible and open minded, since you're usually staying in someone else's home, and are subject to whatever rules they decide to enforce (or not).
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauries View Post
Does anyone know where a GSD can stay long term?
If your plan is to make Phoenix your home base and visit the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Flagstaff, Las Vegas etc. and you want to leave the dog for a few days here and there I can recommend two boarding facilities about an hour, hour and a half north of Phoenix. (which would be on your way to the places I mentioned) I'm sure there are other places closer to Phoenix but I'm not familiar with them.

Applewood Kennels, Cottonwood AZ
AppleWood Kennels Northern Arizona - A northern Arizona Dog Boarding and Grooming Kennel - Serving the Sedona area, Verde Valley and CoconinoAppleWood Kennels Northern Arizona | A northern Arizona Dog Boarding and Grooming Kennel ? Serving the Sedona
This is the boarding facility I use. Nice runs for the dogs in addition to grassy play yards. (grass is at a premium here in AZ) Large and small dogs are kept in different areas on the property. My female has been multiple times and now goes to stay every Sunday night.

Hillside K-9 Academy - Camp Verde AZ
K9 Academy | Arizona Dog Training Academy | Canine Academy
I haven't used his boarding (went to talk to them about training not boarding) but I've been on the property and met the owners. It's clean etc. They also train and groom. Shawn (owner) works a lot with GSD's and Mals so I'm guessing they wouldn't have a problem boarding one.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

This is about my GSD, we had a place tell us that most parks won't allow this breed on their property, due to their insurance policy. They said most RV parks, have the same issue.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 08:56 AM

must be an area thing. On the east coast so far we haven't seen breed restrictions. Either they allow dogs or they don't. They may limit the number of dogs, usually to two, if they restrict anything. In fact one reason so many people travel with RVs is so that they can bring their dogs. Keep checking around, use the RV review sites and if you go, make sure to write your own review. I bet there are any number of people with the same question.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page