German Shepherds Forum banner

Is there a biologist in the house? Bizarre experience with a squirrel

644 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  newlie 
#1 ·
Where I live we have red squirrels. Lots of them in our neighborhood, never a problem. Today I was walking my senior lab and our small foster pup. We passed a yard where a smallish squirrel was running back and forth and practically doing flips in mid-air. The dogs alerted, I thought he was silly. Then he ran up to us and seemingly attempted to attack my dogs! He was definitely trying to make contact and even got between the two. The foster pup was trying to get him and I hope their wasn't any contact, but someone let out a squeal, not sure if it was foster pup or the squirrel. I kicked at it and it scampered off. But it followed us for several yards, like stalking us. Does anyone know why a squirrel would behave like that and approach not one, but two dogs? I am thinking of rabies. My only other explanation would be that perhaps he is somebody's pet and plays with dogs? Does anyone know anything about squirrel behavior?

#2 ·
That's pretty weird. I'm not a biologist, but I'd be afraid of rabies too. I'm thinking that the dogs who were exposed should probably all get post-exposure boosters immediately, just to be safe (assuming they've previously been vaccinated and are still up to date, my recollection is that they're supposed to get a booster upon exposure). Call your vet to confirm.

If you could have been scratched while kicking it, you may need post-exposure injections too. Note that I said "scratched" (not bitten) as scratches can transmit it. There's no diagnostic test for rabies -- they confirm it after death by necropsy on the brain.

I would also let the local AC know so that they can try to find that crazy squirrel.

#4 ·
Rabies was my first thought.

I remember reading a story in the paper some years ago about a kid who was riding his bike and a squirrel, who I guessed jumped out of a tree on him, and attacked. The details are fuzzy now, but the squirrel did have rabies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.