Transitioning a GSD from a grieving home - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By wolfy dog
  • 3 Post By MineAreWorkingline

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Transitioning a GSD from a grieving home

I am curious what you all think or if anyone have experiences with taking on a young GSD from a family that lost the owner.

As far as I know the death was sudden and the family is dealing with the loss and grief, and they are looking for a new forever home for the GSD. He is a 3 year old male and the breeder is helping to find a new family but the dog is still being taken care by the family.

What I wondering is if I decide to go for this GSD, would it be bad or rougher for the dog to immediately be moved from his current home to mine, or would it be better to ask the original breeder to take the dog back for a few weeks so he spends some time with his parents and the breeder, to help transition the dog from the loss of his master and the grieving family?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 01:54 PM
Crowned Member

No need to have another transition for him. I would get him if you like him and treat him like a normal dog; no babying, laying down the rules and bond with him. The owner's death is history for him and giving him security by gentle leadership will help him transition.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I spoke with his breeder and she said the same exact thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
No need to have another transition for him. I would get him if you like him and treat him like a normal dog; no babying, laying down the rules and bond with him. The owner's death is history for him and giving him security by gentle leadership will help him transition.
^^^^
This.

I would try to get as much info on how the previous owner handled the dog and do the same thing while gently putting in your own accents.

Did you deserve your dog today?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 02:38 PM
Crowned Member

If it were at all possible, I would try to bond a little while he is in his present home. Spend some time there with him, play in the yard with him, give him some treats, brush him, when he feels comfortable with you, take him for a few short walks. A little kindness and bonding before you bring him home will help make the transition all the much easier.
wolfy dog, Dunkirk and islanddog like this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page