Are you and the dogs ready for an emergency? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Are you and the dogs ready for an emergency?

We live in the PNW and we are overdue for a major earthquake. I have started thinking about what to get for a month's supply for us and for the dog(s). We will always have access to water so purification tablets are in order. Furthermore for the dog(s): a month supply of The Honest Kitchen and a good quality kibble that has been vacuum sealed. IN the doggy kit also an First Aid kit, GI meds but also a nail clipper, a ball. bowls and a few blankets. Outside I have hidden a huge crowbar to open up the house in case we can't get in upon returning home.
I am wondering if we can get a sticky on this subject so all of us can add ideas?
Apex1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 08:56 PM
Elite Member

My dog and I each have a "go bag". In it I have a few days worth of food, bottles of water, tie out, extra slip lead and collar, chew toys, a ball, a foldable bowl, 2 weeks worth of his meds, a small first aid kit, a flash drive with copies of his important paperwork (Vet and Vaxx records, Micro chip info, a care sheet, pre made lost dog template, and multiple up to date pictures including close ups of identifying marks), a hard copy of his vaxx records and his picture. I also keep a little bit of cash spread throughout his bag as well.
Suki's Mom, wolfy dog and kekipi like this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 09:12 PM

Ooh flash drive with important records is brilliant! We don't have go bags because we live in an area that is unlikely to be evacuated for any natural disaster type situation, but we're working on building a good supply of the necessities you listed at home (for humans and pets!) Since we are far more likely to have to hunker down that makes most sense to invest in for us, but it's something we're very aware of since our preparedness is not where it could be at the moment! Great topic to bring up

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
ksotto333 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 09:27 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kekipi View Post
Ooh flash drive with important records is brilliant! We don't have go bags because we live in an area that is unlikely to be evacuated for any natural disaster type situation, but we're working on building a good supply of the necessities you listed at home (for humans and pets!) Since we are far more likely to have to hunker down that makes most sense to invest in for us, but it's something we're very aware of since our preparedness is not where it could be at the moment! Great topic to bring up

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
I'm not too terribly likely to be evacuated either... Worst case scenario for me would be a house fire. We get a tornado every few years, I am near a flood plain but not in it, but who knows if a 1000 year flood is around the corner. Stuff that is likely to take the house out so I keep the go bags in the car, but also have all of the same stuff around the house as well as we do get the occasional ice storm or snow fall that brings my southern city so a halt for a few days.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Cash is a great idea as in an emergency here, no electricity for a while to pay with plastic.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 10:01 PM
Knighted Member

Not dog stuff but crank radio, generator(fuel), inverter (in case the car is ok) it never hurts to be able to convert to electricity. We have an inverter in every car. Candles, matches, oil lamp, lamp oil, bed roll, my kindle.
wolfy dog likes this.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 11:08 PM
Crowned Member

1. A solar phone charger. Worth it's weight in gold during an extended outage.

2. Battery-powered LED lanterns. They're fantastic when the power goes out. I also keep moon lights (tap lights) to stash around the house, and lots of flashlights. Candles, oil lamps, etc. put out a lot of smoke, and if anyone's prone to breathing problems, it's indoor air pollution (okay for a few hours, but not for extended periods). Not to mention dogs bumping tables and risking a fire.

3. Cloud backup! I've had flash drives fail and lose data. I really prefer storing key documents for evacuation on a cloud-based service now. Putting a flash in a safe deposit box wouldn't be a bad idea, for heirs/executors, in the event one doesn't survive the disaster.

4. Put a repeating entry in your phone calendar to rotate your food stock in the emergency kit! I remember when we last moved, I opened the emergency storage containers and found stuff that was years out of date. Oops.

5. Vetericyn or Puricyn, for humans and dogs.

6. A box of good filtration/respirator masks. In hurricane country, you'll need them when the mold counts go up in the aftermath. In earthquake country, particulates from collapsing buildings can pose problems too.

7. In hurricane country, bug repellent. Mosquito populations explode after hurricanes.

8. I think the air-dried raw (Ziwi, ONP, etc.) and THK is really good stuff to keep in an emergency kit with raw-fed dogs. Stella & Chewies and OC Raw also make dehyrdrated patties that would work. Evacuation may mean living out of a cooler, not being able to find ice, not having a hotel with a fridge/freezer, etc. That's a mess for raw fed dogs that can't eat kibble due to health issues.

6. Shoes & booties. If you live in a city, a major earthquake, tornado or hurricane has the potential to send debris and glass all over. If you have to walk out, you may have to walk through lots of sharp debris. When I lived on the West Coast, I kept a backpack in my car with good walking shoes and socks, in case I had to walk home, if freeways were to collapse. I also had a similar backpack in my office, under my desk. That one had another pair of shoes/socks, a light jacket, plus sunscreen, water and granola bars, since it was a good 10+ miles home.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Booties for the dogs
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 12:25 AM

I have copies of all the paperwork in the car glove box, but I love the flash drive idea! Will have to do that. Since I'm in Fl, about 40mi from a coast, evacuations are always possible (if not likely). Usually I just hunker down though. Almost always have a months+ worth of food on hand, but have guns and a crossbow, so if push came to shove, could hunt and cook the catch on the propane powered grill. Since hurricanes practically always have at least 24hrs of warning time, I don't have an emergency bag set up. I'd probably have time to throw some stuff together. Honestly, the worst part of hurricane power outages is when you have limited water so you can't bathe your dog who finds a muddy flooded back yard alluring... (That and the lack of AC)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 12:49 AM
Crowned Member

I have all rabies certificateds n my phone(emailed to myself) I have thought about this evacuating and I would have a heck of a time loading all the dogs up in one vehicle plus the cats--still thinking about this. For fire I have trained all mine to go to the back door if the alarm goes I would get them outside then grab the cats and their carriers. I have thought to shut down electricity so there is no chance of electrocution , I keep a large bag of ice the freezer so I can take food or store for a day or so. I almost think if they were talking about a hurricane I would probably rent a van and take the seats out and leave my car behind. I also have a filtered water system that I can take with or use with my well water, it is serious something to think about,
Suki's Mom and dogfaeries like this.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD

Last edited by llombardo; 09-25-2017 at 12:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page