Transitioning between excited ~ calm - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Transitioning between excited ~ calm

Anyone else have a dog that can go from a high state of excitement to calm super quick? our male Ranger is like this. Whenever there is some form of high excitement many dogs will linger in that state, Ranger doesn't do this, it's like turning off a switch. I haven't noticed this with any of our other dogs past or present, curious if others may have seen this in any of theirs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 10:23 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Anyone else have a dog that can go from a high state of excitement to calm super quick? our male Ranger is like this. Whenever there is some form of high excitement many dogs will linger in that state, Ranger doesn't do this, it's like turning off a switch. I haven't noticed this with any of our other dogs past or present, curious if others may have seen this in any of theirs?
One of mine can, the other one can't. It takes a month for him to idle down.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Maybe it's not so uncommon. I've had a long run of female dogs in our house and they all had a tendency to stay excited or agitated for a stretch. Even our other male tends to dwell a bit. Never had a dog that can switch so fast like he does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 01:48 AM
Crowned Member

Crank, my competition Belgian Malinois is like this but it is a good bit of training from an early age that caused it. He can go from 0-100 in a split second which is extremely common in a mal, but he can drop from 100-0 almost as quickly on cue. How much of it is genetic vs how much of it was the training I don't know. He can relax and sit still without giving me much issue for long periods of time. He can go days without training and conditioning and not give me any issues or tear anything up in the house, but he will be absolute fire and work till he dies when I turn him on.

You will walk when it is time to walk
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2017, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Rangers switch works both ways. We have a female who is just as quick 0-100, but she takes more time coming back down. probably not a fair comparison though as he is generally more relaxed than her, her zero is more like his 5 or 10 if that makes sense.

Last year our two males decided they would no longer coexist. They had a couple fights that were broken up quickly. Ranger was calm super quick, our other male was not. Ranger could have easily moved on to just about anything else you could ask of him. Not a great way to learn about your dog, but to take something good away from a bad situation we do understand him better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page