Tramadol - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Tramadol

The vet strongly recommended a pain med for my oldest Misty. I was trying to stay away from pain meds because of side effects and the organs, but I can't have her in pain. I compromised and agreed to Tramadol but not Rimadyl. Any experienced with long term use? Any issues caused by long term use? Any supplements I neec to give to offset any possible issues?

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 01:25 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
The vet strongly recommended a pain med for my oldest Misty. I was trying to stay away from pain meds because of side effects and the organs, but I can't have her in pain. I compromised and agreed to Tramadol but not Rimadyl. Any experienced with long term use? Any issues caused by long term use? Any supplements I neec to give to offset any possible issues?
It seems that CBD oil helps dogs as well. But only useful in states where it is legalized. No side effects known.
Wolfhund likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 01:28 AM
Crowned Member

My dog was on it. They put him on Pepcid AC to offset stomach upset. Check with your vet for dosage. I had no side effects for the year he was on Tramadol.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 01:30 AM

I think cannabis oil should have some THC. A lot of people are selling CBD stuff for dogs (like oil and biscuits) that are made from the hemp plant. You want the stuff from the cannabis plant. THC at the proper ratios to CBD will not cause your dog to become super high and is safe. I use this in lieu of tramadol for my dogs now. https://treatwellhealth.com/products/animal-tinctures/

That said, you do need a medical marijuana license to purchase your product so hopefully, you live in a progressive state.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

She is taking CBD without the THC and I noticed an improvement right away. The vet insists that she needs something more because the CBD is not FDA approved blah blah blah. I personally think she is doing good with the CBD, but as the weather gets colder I'm sure there will be more pain and stiffness. I wan to make sure she has thd coverage needed to be comfortable.
Wolfhund likes this.

Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 02:41 AM
Crowned Member

For humane reasons, if a dog needs pain meds, it needs to be effective. There was some research done in the last year or two on dogs that showed that Tramadol does not have the pain relieving effect on dogs that vets previously thought it did. It doesn't affect dogs the way it does humans. That finding rocked the vet world -- it means you can't extrapolate human effects to dogs. My vets told me to throw it out and stop using it -- multiple clinics told me the same thing around the same time. I think the vet school did a CE they all went to on it. It used to often be prescribed jointly with Carprofen, but no longer. It apparently effects saratonin uptake. It also has no anti-inflammatory effect (unlike NSAIDS), and you usually want that effect for arthritis. This mentions some of what's going on with it:
http://www.bestfriendsvet.com/librar...edication-101/

If it's joint arthritis that you're worried about, I would start with Adequan. In a significant percentage of dogs, it has an anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effect, not just joint lubricating. Mine have started out on NSAIDs while the Adequan loaded. Once the Adequan loaded, they needed no more pain meds.

Last edited by Magwart; 09-20-2017 at 02:52 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
For humane reasons, if a dog needs pain meds, it needs to be effective. There was some research done in the last year or two on dogs that showed that Tramadol does not have the pain relieving effect on dogs that vets previously thought it did. It doesn't affect dogs the way it does humans. That finding rocked the vet world -- it means you can't extrapolate human effects to dogs. My vets told me to throw it out and stop using it -- multiple clinics told me the same thing around the same time. I think the vet school did a CE they all went to on it. It used to often be prescribed jointly with Carprofen, but no longer. It apparently effects saratonin uptake. It also has no anti-inflammatory effect (unlike NSAIDS), and you usually want that effect for arthritis. This mentions some of what's going on with it:
Pain Medication 101

If it's joint arthritis that you're worried about, I would start with Adequan. In a significant percentage of dogs, it has an anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effect, not just joint lubricating. Mine have started out on NSAIDs while the Adequan loaded. Once the Adequan loaded, they needed no more pain meds.
She is on week 3 of adequan. She also is getting acupuncture.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 09:31 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Pain Medication 101

It would be awesome to find the actual research studies. Although the tramadol information and explaining the pain medication information sounds good they also say in that article that Tylenol is very safe for dogs, which isn't accurate.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazel View Post
It would be awesome to find the actual research studies. Although the tramadol information and explaining the pain medication information sounds good they also say in that article that Tylenol is very safe for dogs, which isn't accurate.
My vet did say that while Tramadol can be addicting for people, it's not addictive for dogs.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 11:35 AM
Elite Member

In the past I had two chow/samoyeds that had severe arthritis in all joints in there senior years. We used tramadol in combination with rimadyl for almost 2 years. It was hard to find the sweet spot for both drugs. I worried about the rimadyl side effects and organ damage so I wanted the lowest effective dose. As time went on we needed to increase the tramadol but it made them very dopey and unsteady. I felt the tramadol seemed to be very sedating which helped them get better rest. I don't know if it actually helped with the pain. Seemed to but maybe it was just they were to sleepy to care. What we did do when sedation and unsteadiness became a problem was tweaked the dosage schedule. For example vet wanted 25 mg given 4 times a day. What we did was give 25 mg. in the morning then during the day we split the dose to 12.5 mg for the next doses but gave it every 2-3 hrs instead of every 6 hrs. Then gave a full dose at bedtime, if that makes sense. It seemed to help keep them comfy without being so drugged they just slept all day. The effect was instead of getting a big dose, getting really sleepy and then having wear off and then another big dose and sleepy again we just kept a steady lower dose going all day and they seemed to have more awake time with a good comfort level. The rimadyl was always given with food and if I remember (long time ago) we did give pepcid as well. All of this before Adequan was available.

Ziva 03.07.2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page