Kids and puppies - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cloudpump

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Kids and puppies

I have been researching breeders and German Shepards for nearly 2 years now. We are nearly ready to put a deposit down after i take a trip up to see the breeder. Im both excited and nervous. We are hoping to bring a puppy home around December. I have a two questions.

We have 4 children. I feel like i have gone over everything pertaining to dog safety, treatment, and ettiquite with them. Iv gone over our house, the childrens rooms and toys to identify choking hazards. Ultimately keeping our dog safe will come down to proper supervision but are there any other tips or difficulties we will need to watch for pertaining to the children and the new puppy? Im just looking for anything big or small that could have slipped my mind even if its just simple things you noticed while raising a puppy and kids.

Secondly if my husband is gone the first few weeks will that affect anything major as far as bonding? He is in the Army and may be away for 3 weeks, return for 3, then gone again in the first 3 months. I guess im hoping that when he gets back he will be able to bond with the puppy even if it is already attached to the rest of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 06:23 PM
Crowned Member

Your main concern is 'keeping the kids safe' from puppy. To me it doesn't sound like an ideal start unless (maybe) all your kids are in school during the day and you can devote time to work with a landshark and raising this pup is your nr. 1 passion.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 06:48 PM

When we got our pup, I had a husband in the military and two children, the youngest was 4. That being said we had a Shepherd before they were born so they were used to a big furry dog.

I crate trained the puppy and the non negotiable rule was that if the pup was in her crate they had to leave her alone. Also it stops your puppy getting to stuff when you can't supervise and makes house training a lot easier.

During the puppy biting stage, actually found training the four year old harder to train than the puppy. He would run around squealing which the pup thought was fantastic fun. Went through a stage when pup and child weren't allowed out in the yard together

As for the bond between your husband and the pup, my girls have always loved my OH even through he wasn't around so much. Slightly irritating as I was doing all the work lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 06:58 PM
Master Member

In my experience, which is limited to my current 8 month old pup, he loves people. My mother for example was here the day we got him than we didn't see her again for a month and we see her maybe once a month sometimes less and the pup adores her. The same could be said for my in-laws nephews nieces cousins. I think if I were you I would not worry. What I can warn you of is the training. We have taught the dog Off for Jumping and Down for Lay Down. Every single person I know says down for off. My pup less then half the time will actually lay down when they say down. Keeping your husband informed of the rules, boundaries, training words and methods I would think important to maintain consistency. I have come to learn the importance of consistency.

As for the pup and kids I don't know the ages of yours but I think it makes a difference. I think it also matters how much experience you have with dogs.

I have kids come over often and I have two of my own 5 and 12. Getting the puppy to the point of being calm or even how to interact with excited children has been a challenge and at 8 months he is doing pretty good. He is still a little to pushy for kids 4 and under. Kids can run in the yard or house and not get nibbled on or bitten or jumped on. He may bump into them or give them way to many kisses. I say challenge because for me it is my first dog and I have a lot to learn.

If I am honest my puppy was so mouthy the kids did not spend much time with the adorable puppy. We made it a point everyday for the kids individually while supervised to pet or play with puppy with toys. The moment he put teeth on them the play time was over. Our puppy was so bad that if I let him he would jump on them and bite them with those razor teeth and make them cry and he would not care. The first 5 months were really hard for us. It was a lot of work, reading, and effort on our part. My husband is a stay at home dad and I work from home we put in a lot of effort. Someone who knows what they were doing with the amount of time we had could probably have done a lot more LOL. We had to keep the pup active and engaged so he was not crated to much while rotating the kids so they were not jealous of the puppy. All that said it was a small price to pay for the wonderful dog he is becoming. I am really enjoying 8 months he is awesome.

I can not express enough how valuable crate training was to us and the importance of it being a place the puppy loves. We still use the crate. Having a safe off leash place or some where you can use a long line for the pup to run his heart out that is NOT a dog park is really important too I think.

Best of luck to you and welcome to the forum.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. The passion is there and 3 of the 4 kids are in school. Iv been waiting about 5 years total to move foward with a dog until we were done having kids. Then we waited to get our youngest potty trained and in part time daycare. I think life is as calm as its going to get for us especially with me staying home. I know i will have the next 2 years still home to give more time and training so i guess for us this may be ideal. HOWEVER i will keep what you have said in mind. Maybe we can explore putting our youngest into daycare full time for a bit. Also, i definitely want everyone safe. I guess iv already gone over keeping the kids safe and a lot of that is keep the dog safe and proper supervision for everyone.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 07:30 PM
Master Member

I have a feeling you are going to have a good time, and can I say I am a little jealous? I love when I get to just hang out with my pup one on one. enjoy

I had to edit, that your pup will love having you home, the only thing I can think to say is try giving them alone time so that when you do go back to work it is not to hard on the dog.

Last edited by Apex1; 09-18-2017 at 07:33 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 08:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJay View Post
Thanks for the reply. The passion is there and 3 of the 4 kids are in school. Iv been waiting about 5 years total to move foward with a dog until we were done having kids. Then we waited to get our youngest potty trained and in part time daycare. I think life is as calm as its going to get for us especially with me staying home. I know i will have the next 2 years still home to give more time and training so i guess for us this may be ideal. HOWEVER i will keep what you have said in mind. Maybe we can explore putting our youngest into daycare full time for a bit. Also, i definitely want everyone safe. I guess iv already gone over keeping the kids safe and a lot of that is keep the dog safe and proper supervision for everyone.

That sounds great! That was me 30 years ago and it worked. Enjoy your future pup.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 08:20 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJay View Post
I don't think I would worry about putting your little one in daycare all day. We brought home our 3 year old when my granddaughter was three. We were her main babysitters, so they had a lot of quality time together. We separated when we needed to, let them be together under close supervision. My dogs have never been allowed on furniture, so that was the "safe" space for Cay and our Yorkie. The "Germans" and granddaughter are inseparable. Good luck in your search, and have fun. Don't overthink it, you'll be fine.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 10:20 PM
Elite Member

The two main issues that I've had with kids (my two children are 11 and 10) and puppies is... the biting stage, it was very hard on them as the puppy did see them more as play mates than anyone else so they took the brunt of the biting, and reminding them to stay calm and replace their arm/hand with a toy isn't always easy.

The second was they would occasionally miss-step or trip over the puppy when playing games with him. The puppy got his paws/legs stepped on several times by kids that were playing and a bit clumsier than an adult would be.

My son (who can't sit still) fell off the couch on the weekend right onto puppy... luckily puppy is now 11 months old and much bigger than my son now... he just looked at him and thought it was a new game, lol.

Last edited by KaiserAus; 09-18-2017 at 10:20 PM. Reason: spelling
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 11:20 PM
Elite Member

I keep my puppy and daughter separate. I utilize a baby gate.
wolfy dog likes this.

Snitches get stitches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page