Not Eating Enough - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 162
Not Eating Enough

Hi all GSD lovers out there,

I'm just posting here in case someone else has had the same issue.

My 7 month old GSD is not food oriented at all. More than that, he has little interest in food at all. For the last few months I've been struggling with him not eating. I tried changing foods, changing activity, changing food times, everything I could think of. After he turned 6 months he simply wasn't very interested in eating. He would est 2-3 cups of food a day, equivalent to about half of what the kibble bag recommended. When I brought him to the vet for a checkup, the vet agreed he was under weight. Although he was growing, he wasn't eating as much as he should be.

I have started adding coconut oil (or olive oil when I run out) to his food, and he has started eating much more. He still isn't one to run to the food bowl, and he often leaves some for later, but I am confident he is getting enough calories each day.

And bonus, it's great for his coat!

Has anyone else had similar issues?

-- Ruth and 7 month old, 68lb Sitka
SitkatheGSD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 07:01 PM
Member
 
Misha111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 167
Is it just his kibble main meal that he is not interested in but will take any yummy treats offered to him. Or he just isn't keen on any food?
Misha111 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 08:01 PM
Crowned Member
 
Momto2GSDs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,580
Try adding some raw goats milk or raw goat kefir to his kibble. You can find this at a local health food store (NOT GNC) or whole foods store. Both are packed with digestive enzymes and probiotics that are very important for gut health.

Another thing dogs LOVE: put about 1/4 cup of raw beef, turkey, or chicken in his bowl, then add some hot tap water and stir it until it fully breaks apart. Add this "meat soup" to the kibble, mix and let set 10-15 minutes, mix again and serve!

It also might help if you choose a high quality food like Fromm's or Acana or Open Farm that you can rotate the varieties of proteins with each bag used to keep his interest in his food.

Moms

Last edited by Momto2GSDs; 09-17-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Momto2GSDs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 08:03 PM
Crowned Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ontario -
Posts: 13,884
what kibble are you feeding ?

i

Carmen

**********


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
carmspack is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 08:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Pirates Lair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by SitkatheGSD View Post
Hi all GSD lovers out there,

I'm just posting here in case someone else has had the same issue.

My 7 month old GSD is not food oriented at all. More than that, he has little interest in food at all. For the last few months I've been struggling with him not eating. I tried changing foods, changing activity, changing food times, everything I could think of. After he turned 6 months he simply wasn't very interested in eating. He would est 2-3 cups of food a day, equivalent to about half of what the kibble bag recommended. When I brought him to the vet for a checkup, the vet agreed he was under weight. Although he was growing, he wasn't eating as much as he should be.

I have started adding coconut oil (or olive oil when I run out) to his food, and he has started eating much more. He still isn't one to run to the food bowl, and he often leaves some for later, but I am confident he is getting enough calories each day.

And bonus, it's great for his coat!

Has anyone else had similar issues?

-- Ruth and 7 month old, 68lb Sitka




Technically speaking, 68 lbs for a seven month old GSD is not underweight. How much, and what kind of exercise/training program is your dog on?

What if anything did your Vet suggest?

Before anyone can offer good advice you need to provide better information.

Having said that, you can try picking up some (beef) trimmings from your local grocery store or butcher......usually free, they throw the trimmings out

Cut them into small pieces and fry them up crispy.

Add a small amount of the oil/grease along with the crispy trimmings to your dogs kibble.

Start with small amounts… and build it up to avoid diarrhea.

Not an ideal diet, but some dogs are hard keepers, all dogs like people are individuals.

The Difference- between people and animals? People can choose what they eat, how much they eat, exercise etc.

Animals rely on their owner(s) to meet or exceed their needs.

A Dogs sense of smell is greater than their sense of taste, and dogs are Carnivores. They prefer meat.

Try it, you have nothing to lose and your dog will enjoy it.

Good luck

Kim
Pirates Lair is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 162
He likes treats, just isn't interested in his kibble.

Even with treats though, he is just as excited about positive attention reward for training, as he is with food treats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha111 View Post
Is it just his kibble main meal that he is not interested in but will take any yummy treats offered to him. Or he just isn't keen on any food?
SitkatheGSD is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2GSDs View Post
Try adding some raw goats milk or raw goat kefir to his kibble. You can find this at a local health food store (NOT GNC) or whole foods store. Both are packed with digestive enzymes and probiotics that are very important for gut health.

Another thing dogs LOVE: put about 1/4 cup of raw beef, turkey, or chicken in his bowl, then add some hot tap water and stir it until it fully breaks apart. Add this "meat soup" to the kibble, mix and let set 10-15 minutes, mix again and serve!

It also might help if you choose a high quality food like Fromm's or Acana or Open Farm that you can rotate the varieties of proteins with each bag used to keep his interest in his food.

Moms
I feed him Performatrin.. though I think a raw feed diet, whole or supplemented is great, I am looking into him becoming an assistance/care dog in Ontario, and they are not allowed on a raw feed diet .

I will try adding raw milk or goat kefir though
SitkatheGSD is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 162
It is the vet who said he weighed too little, not me. My vet didn't suggest anything other than feeding him more, which obvs (to this post) didn't work.

Though I think raw food diets are great, my dog is very calm and I'm looking into him being therapeutic companion in Ontario, of which they can't be on a raw food diet.

I agree, that dogs can be choosey about whast they eat, and GSDs are notiorious for this. Hence why, I tried a number of different foods for my pup before adding oil to his food.

Sitka is eating his kibble with coconut oil added in just fine, and he's putting on weight. He's a healthy 7 months old and just over 70lbs. He'll never be the dog to jump at his food bowl, but is that really a good trait?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirates Lair View Post
[/U]



Technically speaking, 68 lbs for a seven month old GSD is not underweight. How much, and what kind of exercise/training program is your dog on?

What if anything did your Vet suggest?

Before anyone can offer good advice you need to provide better information.

Having said that, you can try picking up some (beef) trimmings from your local grocery store or butcher......usually free, they throw the trimmings out

Cut them into small pieces and fry them up crispy.

Add a small amount of the oil/grease along with the crispy trimmings to your dogs kibble.

Start with small amounts… and build it up to avoid diarrhea.

Not an ideal diet, but some dogs are hard keepers, all dogs like people are individuals.

The Difference- between people and animals? People can choose what they eat, how much they eat, exercise etc.

Animals rely on their owner(s) to meet or exceed their needs.

A Dogs sense of smell is greater than their sense of taste, and dogs are Carnivores. They prefer meat.

Try it, you have nothing to lose and your dog will enjoy it.

Good luck

Kim
SitkatheGSD is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 01:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Pirates Lair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by SitkatheGSD View Post
It is the vet who said he weighed too little, not me. My vet didn't suggest anything other than feeding him more, which obvs (to this post) didn't work.

Though I think raw food diets are great, my dog is very calm and I'm looking into him being therapeutic companion in Ontario, of which they can't be on a raw food diet.

I agree, that dogs can be choosey about whast they eat, and GSDs are notiorious for this. Hence why, I tried a number of different foods for my pup before adding oil to his food.

Sitka is eating his kibble with coconut oil added in just fine, and he's putting on weight. He's a healthy 7 months old and just over 70lbs. He'll never be the dog to jump at his food bowl, but is that really a good trait?

Maybe inquire as to what the Ontario therapeutic companion association considers "Raw Food" , then have a look at Rollover.

https://rolloverpetfood.com/our-products/

It is used a great deal by K9 Film/TV trainers and handlers as treats and as a main diet. We use it as a treat only.



Kim
Pirates Lair is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 08:22 AM
Crowned Member
 
Momto2GSDs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by SitkatheGSD View Post
I feed him Performatrin.. I would choose a higher quality kibble and rotate between the protein varieties.
Open Farm & Acana are manufactured in Canada.

though I think a raw feed diet, whole or supplemented is great, You may be able to feed (because of service dog food restrictions) a dehydrated or freeze dried meat diet. Or add some to his kibble.

You could also lightly cook the ground raw meat, rinse very well, add some warm water to his kibble, and stir the the cooked meat!

I will try adding raw milk or goat kefir though
Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome