Help! Newlie Trying To Eat Agility Equipment! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Help! Newlie Trying To Eat Agility Equipment!

My friend brought over the four pieces of agility equipment he made for me today and we placed them the way I wanted in the yard. Ater he left, I put Newlie on a leash and took him outside. We went over to the jump first, which was set low enough for him to step over it, and Newlie grabbed the bar and started trying to chew on it. I got it away from him and made it clear that I was very displeased. So, we tried again, and this time he grabbed the whole jump biting it. I literally had to raise him by the leash and after a couple of seconds, he let go. Not only did I not want the money I had just spent to go to waste, I was also afraid that he might cut his mouth or hurt his teeth biting into this stuff. I guess my adrenaline kicked in because I never would have though I could lift a 75 pound dog.

So, we left there and went over to the A Frame. Newlie started up it, then stopped, and tried to tear off a piece of the wood. I wrestled him away from it and went in the house, I was done for the day.

This is not the first time Newlie has tried to destroy new things in the yard. I wonder if I should just admit defeat and put all the stuff on sale on Craigslist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 06:10 PM

Oh dear! I don't have any suggestions, but it sounds like something Scarlet might do.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 06:17 PM
Crowned Member

He may just not be sure he like this new game yet. When first got the dog walk my husband had put together for our daughter's birthday our chihuahua did not want no part of it - he's quite the agility dog now in his own yard anyway. If you use a treat or ball and get him to focus on you as you lead him over the jump and reward h like crazy and toss him a ball for a reward or give some really yummy Treats he may like this new game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 06:31 PM
Crowned Member

Whoa, you had to choke him off a bite huh? Newlie's got a little more juice then you thought, Lol. Just take him around the stuff first, let him settle down about having something strange in his yard. Maybe add a little ob that he knows already, then try again one thing at a time per session. Jump first, A frame once the jump is good. Teach him to jump clean before you teach him to put his feet on something.
NerdicEclipse likes this.

Doc

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
Whoa, you had to choke him off a bite huh? Newlie's got a little more juice then you thought, Lol. Just take him around the stuff first, let him settle down about having something strange in his yard. Maybe add a little ob that he knows already, then try again one thing at a time per session. Jump first, A frame once the jump is good. Teach him to jump clean before you teach him to put his feet on something.
Ha! Yes it's funny, he really is a wimp with a tug toy, I mean even I can get it away from him. But I guess if it is something he really wants....

Some time ago, several downspouts were laying in the yard while some guys were working on the back porch and Newlie decided they were big whites sticks. It ended up in a game of tug of war, and a grown man and myself could not get that downspout away from him. I probably unintentionally made today sound a little more dramatic than it was, I don't think Newlie's back feet ever left the ground, it was just his front feet.

Anyway, I will do as you suggest. Cardinal flaw of mine is that I always want to move too fast.
NerdicEclipse likes this.

Last edited by newlie; 09-16-2017 at 10:19 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
This! Baby steps at first. These things are absolutely alien to them at first and they don't really get it. Once you get them into agility they absolutely love it. It's great mental and physical exercise and it's fun for us humans too! Don't give up just yet. Just start small. Set them up for success every time. When they do it right, make it a party for them. Dogs build confidence easily when they succeed and get frustrated very easily when they fail. So just work small, expect little at first and make sure he succeeds every time by setting goals you know he can achieve. It'll get easier faster than you think and you'll love it!

Torden

Whelp Date: Feb 11, 2018

Correct bad behavior, don't redirect. Redirecting is rewarding, not resolving.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 08:25 AM
Aly
Master Member

No advice at all; just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading about Newlie! I adore dogs with 'texture.'
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thanks, everyone, for your support! I was seriously aggravated with him yesterday, but he is still my sweetheart!

Yesterday, after the "incident," I took him out on a leash for the rest of the day. But today, he was anxious to play ball and I figured this might work in my favor. So, I put a short leash on him (that I could grab if I needed to), let him see me take out three new balls, and went went outside. He is so ball crazy that when I started hitting the balls, he didn't pay any attention to the agility equipment, in fact I am not sure he would have noticed if Frankenstein had walked in the gate. After we had played for a few minutes, I hit several balls in the direction of the A Frame and one went underneath it, and he went and retrieved all the balls with no problem. He also ran to get balls that rolled near the jump with no issues. At one point early on, I thought he was going for the jump again, but he just went over and pooped next to it, which may or may not have been a commentary.

So right now, the equipment in the yard is going to be like the elephant in the room, we all know it's there, but we are not going to "talk" about it, lol.
dogfaeries likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 03:04 PM
Crowned Member

How could he know that these weren't chew toys? We expect them to know what we are trying to accomplish without teaching them first? I like Storm's advice; take him around and brush up on obedience.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 05:08 PM
Crowned Member

Did you have him on a leash and use the ball as leverage. We did this with topper our chih wanted nothing to the equipment. We made sure he had no options to run and had to be on a leash and lured him with enticing treats where we wanted him to go. It took my daughter forever to get topper on a teeter ball- he was not crazy about it - using a clicker and treats - everytime he would
Touch the teeter with his paws click and treat with him give more each time. She also jumped over the jump with a leash with him. He did wind became so good at it we decided to take him to private lessons.

At the lesson - topper just stood around in the instructors yard and did nothing and even though he loved agility. Not sure if it was the tall grass or just a new surrounding. The instructor did the same thing we did and had my daughter leash him and lure him around with his favorite treat cheese. If newly likes balls I would use that. He did do it but I don't think enjoyed the lessons -so we just decided to keep the agility thing to our backyard.

I hope Newlie decides he likes it!

Last edited by Jenny720; 09-17-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page