HELP! Flea and Tick Recommendations - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

HELP! Flea and Tick Recommendations

Hello! I have a 4 month old German Shepherd puppy who has some fleas on him. We have 3 other dogs who are on Nexgard and it seems to work great for the fleas and ticks without any negative reactions to them. However, I have read terrible reviews and horror stories for Nexgard and fear giving it to my German Shepherd puppy. I used Frontline Plus last month and it seemed to work fine, as he is almost due for his next dose and is just now starting to get some fleas on him. I have heard good things about K9 Advantix, but we have 1 cat in the house, and have heard it is extremely dangerous and toxic for cats in the same household, so that option is out. I was thinking about trying Vetra 3D, but haven't heard many reviews about this product? I am looking for ANY recommendations for German Shepherd owners for products to try or any reviews or recommendations regarding any of these preventions. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 10:40 PM
Crowned Member

I can recommend Frontline Plus. There is also a Frontline Gold:
https://www.heartlandvetsupply.com/p...-for-dogs.aspx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 11:38 PM

I use Seresto collars for my dogs.Haven't seen a flea or tick in the past three years since we switched to those rather than a topical.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 11:32 AM
Crowned Member

Around here neither Frontline nor Advantix work anymore. Even the newer versions.

I know several people who are happy with Seresto but I don't use it because one more thing on the neck bugs me. I may try them one day.

I have been using VECTRA 3d. It makes my dogs itch a little at application site. I try to bathe then 4 or 5 days after I put it on to help. It works better for ticks than any other topical I have tried. I have still found an ocasional tick feeding and alive and well though.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

I think I might give the Seresto collar a try. I researched a bit about them and read they were very safe and effective- and safe for cats as well. Do your dogs ever try to bite or lick the collar? I might wait until my puppy is a little bit older just in case- though I read somewhere that the Seresto collar is nontoxic? I like the idea of a collar instead of a pill or topical treatment. Thanks for your advice
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 12:24 PM

I used Vectra 3D last year and had great results. Tried it earlier this summer and nothing. Ugh. Used Scarlet as my guinea pig with a Seresto collar and it's working!

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 10:37 AM

hello
first, you have to determine what the causes of fleas on dogs,
it can be others animals or outside the home,
the best treatments you can use is a natural way because it doesn't have any side effects like apple cider vinegar you need
Apple cider vinegar (ACV)
Water
Spray bottle

Combine water and ACV in a spray bottle
Add a little water to a small spray bottle.
Pour in an equal amount of ACV.
Close the bottle and give it a shake to mix the contents.
and if you are not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page