you don't get the dog you want..... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

you don't get the dog you want.....

"you get the dog you need!!"

I know that a lot of people on this board always wanted a GSD. Me, never ever wanted one.

My first girl we got from an ad purely on the strength she was house trained. My OH desperately wanted one, we were just married so agreed to look at her to shut him up because I had 100 reasons why it wasn't a good idea. Went to see her and just couldn't leave her in the situation she was living in. The day we picked her up, she came into season. The next day OH went away and I remember looking at this dog and thinking 'now what!' She became the love of my life.

After she died, I was heartbroken, my family wanted another GSD so I agreed on the condition that she looked nothing like the first one. Enter our solid black girl, who was the most amazing family dog (even though you always felt that she thought she was doing you a huge favour by living with you haha)

When she was gone, told the family we were not having another GSD.(Even did huge amounts of research on the breed I have always wanted.) Hahaha, the universe had a different idea and I ended up with the sweetest little rescue GSD girl.

One day i'll have a Lab lol.

Just interested to hear if anyone else fell into GSD ownership by accident (20 plus years and counting) or ended up with GSD, they wouldn't have chosen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 09:08 PM
Crowned Member

I came into gsds knowing very little, getting one was my wife's idea. She had them growing up and wanted another. I was only aware of very basic breed traits, my beagle used her nose and wanted to hunt, my lab liked to swim, and my malamute enjoyed pulling me on roller blades, bike, and sled.

My wife warned me that they were different, never heard of prey drive, hunt drive, pack drive and being "aloof". The latter took some getting use to, all my previous dogs were at least somewhat social. She told me I can't take a couple OB classes and be done as I had done past, they need regular training. I'm now taking masters rally classes. I probably won't compete at that level though we are doing well with it.

What I noticed early on was how eager and easy they were to train vs past dogs. And the bond, my lab was pretty close with me, however my GSD girl Zoey and male Ranger are glued to me, I can't make a move without them in tow.

I've learned a ton from these dogs, more so than any other, I'm hooked.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2017, 11:01 PM
Knighted Member

I loved your story Misha111. My own is different, but much the same...

I was 10 yrs old and had never had a dog. We went to the local shelter and I found a mostly-black, GSDxLab male that was about 10 months old, and fell in love. He turned out to be awesome. He was so smart, and so forgiving of my shortcomings as a dog owner and trainer, and such an incredibly noble and devoted creature....I truly loved that dog.

My next dog was a purebred GSD female. She was also an impromptu rescue, and her and my boy Sam spent a year together before Sam passed. She was even more intelligent and devoted than he was - which at the time I would not have thought possible. But in true GSD fashion, you only needed to communicate what you wanted her to do once, then proof it a couple times, and she would never forget. When I got her she was already 1 /12 yrs old, so there was none of the puppy or adolescent defiance ever. Just tell her what you wanted so that she could understand, and BAM done! She was such a mind reader also, after we were together for a few years I didn't even have to say anything to her for her to KNOW exactly what I wanted. For her, I had to be careful with even my facial expressions, because she was so in tune that a harsh look from me was equivalent to a harsh reprimand for another breed or dog. I NEVER even raised my voice with that dog...didn't have to. She will forever live in my heart.

And, as Nigel said, from there I was hooked!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 01:34 PM
Crowned Member

I got Sabi with the intention that she was for my husband and son. She had a different idea. She won and was mine heart and soul until the day she died.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha111 View Post
Just interested to hear if anyone else fell into GSD ownership by accident (20 plus years and counting) or ended up with GSD, they wouldn't have chosen.
I am/was a beagle and lab man. Last October I started a relationship and she always wanted a GSD. We were at a fair and they had puppies for sale. My previous lab Princess was a lab/shepherd/wolf mix and was one of my favorite dogs before she passed away a year ago. So in April we got our first GSD. We just picked up our second last weekend. It would be hard to imagine not owning one (or more) GSD now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page